I remember my mom and our neighbor across the back fence chatting about the events of the day, with no thought about their stories going further. When my son was diagnosed with Down syndrome at birth, I searched everywhere for the most up-to-date information that would give him the best opportunities as he was growing up. I started writing so I could share what I had learned with other moms, and did not think much about it until the first person to read an article I wrote for a magazine happened to be a young woman with Down syndrome who worked at my son's early intervention center. It gave me quite a jolt to think my children would grow up to read what I had written, even though it was a positive article for its time.

Parents now have many options online for sharing their stories and finding a supportive community, but we are just now considering the issues of 'oversharing' with a worldwide audience, archived for a lifetime.

The availability of a national and even a world-wide audience for sharing information, experiences and support for parents of children and teens with childhood disabilities has caused concern over privacy issues that may negatively impact individuals with disabilities or developmental delays during adolescence and adulthood.

Pam W
SE of Seattle

Privacy Issues - Childhood Disabilities
http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art176616.asp

Pamela Wilson - Children with Special Needs Editor
Visit the Children with Special Needs Website