Print Thread
L
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
L

For many years from 1999 until 2011, I was THE most dedicated journal keeper ever. Pick any day during that time and guaranteed I have a journal entry if not 3 or 4.

Then in 2011, I began to write about my goals on a goal setting website and that was the end of my hand written journal. Today I went to write in my journal and lasted about 5 minutes or so before I thought of something else I had to do. I went and did whatever and I’m just realizing now that I never got back to my journal.

It is not that I don’t have the time. I was the most dedicated to my journal during the busiest time of my entire life.

I think it has to do with the fact that my handwritten journal is not searchable like a document or something online. Also it’s not neat and structured like say writing a forum post about a specific topic. Once I write something in my journal, it just kind of gets buried in the journal, which makes what I write difficult to use.

Still I think journaling is an awesome self-help practice. I will re-dedicate myself to it again one day.

LEAH MULLEN
LIFE COACHING

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
This will be a little drastic - so like where we have PG 13 and G, E for everyone, etc.

I'm not sure what to categorize this one. But I USED to keep journals. This probably isn't the forum to go into why I no longer have them.

But, for now, I keep only dream journals. I tried doing the day to day journaling and believe it or not, it actually makes my head pound. I got through 3 days for my Dr. and was like...

I can't do this. So, instead, what I DO?

I take photos. That way it's a journal, but w/pictures. Something I can actually work with wink

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
L
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
L

Yes, photo journals are wonderful! I'd like to start one too.

I have been true to my chronological paper journal for the last two days! The key for me, as with most things I have to start out the day doing it.

Instead of recapping my day at night, I write about what I am doing, what I have done and what I would like to do first thing.

This morning I interspersed writing in my journal with exercise on the wii.

LEAH MULLEN
LIFE COACHING

I
Shark
Shark
I
I was in a major MAJOR slump in 1996... I simply could not write but I had that vague feeling of guilt for not writing, as it had so become a part of me. That's when I was still trying to learn more about computers in general and word processing in particular, so on impulse I switched from my paper journal to a journal kept on my PC. It was the kick-start I needed at the time. I eventually gave up the paper journal completely in favor of my PC Journal because it was so much faster and handwriting was starting to hurt my hands and fingers(arthritis and fibromyalgia). I find that I can personalize it in so many ways that I don't miss the "personal touch" of a paper journal as much as I thought I would. I can do many colors, many fonts (I even have my own handwriting as a font), and add pictures... I have a drawing tablet so I can still add my own sketches and drawings.

Be Well,
Doxi
Founder & Chief Whiner
S.N.E.R.T.s
Survivors of Nearly Every Rotten Thing
L
Parakeet
Parakeet
L
Hello all,

Have you read that book The Artist's Way where she talks about what is essentially stream of consciousness writing and free flow notes for your daily pages? You just write anything, anything at all that comes into your head for two A4 pages, then stop, midsentence if you have to. You need to do it at the same time each day too. Don't know why.

It works for a lot of people and helps clear up issues probably because one needs to articulate oneself in some way.

I don't think it is a journal that one needs to refer to or use material from (as I understand it anyway). I think the work it does for you is because you clear your own mind as you go along.

Would like to hear from others who may use the daily pages idea.

Cheers

Lestie Mulholland
Container Gardening Editor

Contain your Delight - it's easy!
I
Shark
Shark
I
Sounds interesting! I like it. That book, The Artist's Way, is one of my "meaning to read" books. My only objection is that I do not go for "rules" per se unless they are either set up by you, as the writer, or they are needed for a set amount of time, say to get you over a hump or slump in your writing! I am kind of a rules-free writer, but to each his/her own... and I still really want to read that book!

::::::::::::::::::::wandering off toward Amazon.com:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Be Well,
Doxi
Founder & Chief Whiner
S.N.E.R.T.s
L
Parakeet
Parakeet
L
Hello IH8FMS and all,

Thanks heavens we are life-surrounded by rules ... imagine if everyone just ignored the red traffic light? or the bank didn't feel like opening at 09h00? or anyone could practise as a medical doctor if they felt like it?

Even as a rules-free writer you need to adhere to the rules of language and writing and plot, characterisation and all and all.

If you do get a round TUIT, I do hope you gain some positive life input from reading books like The Artist's Way even if just to offset being a snert. Still, surviving is something good not so? I think it is so well done there.

Cheers

Lestie Mulholland
Container Gardening Editor

Contain your Delight - it's easy!
I
Shark
Shark
I
Hi Lestie!
Oh, I am a "rules person" and always have been... as a retired nurse and self-taught computer tech, I fully recognize their importance! Rules surround us, and that is as it should be.

I think that's why my journal is my Me Zone- the place where the only rules are those of my making! It's a release for me, and it's a totally positive place! It has evolved over 49 years into a part of me. I do love to read about journaling and apply what I learn, so it keeps changing and growing... I hope I never become stagnant.

I believe that journaling is one of the most personal things we do, and as such, we each do it our own way. One reads all the excellent books out there, and shares in this forum, which I adore, and uses the information to make their own journal special!

Be Well,
Doxi
Founder & Chief Whiner
S.N.E.R.T.s

Moderated by  kkgarcia 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.