This week's exercise is especially good for strengthening your back. It is called a Back Extension.
1. Lie down on your stomach on the floor.
2. Lengthen your body, stretching from finger tips through toes.
3. Keep your legs long and straight with toes pointed and tops of the foot pressed into the floor.
4. Be aware of your hip bones. Press them against the floor. They will be part of your anchor.
5.Engage your abdominals, drawing your belly button towards your spine. This is also part of your anchor.
6. At the same time lace your fingers and place your hands behind your head.
7. Inhale and lift your head and shoulders up as far as you can. Lift your chest and look forward. Keep your elbows up.
8. Hold for a count of 3. Don't hold your breath. Release the pose on an exhale.
9. Release back to the floor and rest briefly.
10. Repeat this exercise 8-10 times.
Terri Johansen, Exercise/Yoga Editor
Don't forget to sign up for the weekly Yoga Newsletter.