Print Thread
L
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
L
What do you think about the schedules of children? Are your children busy every day after school? Do you require them to participate in at least one thing? Are you an under scheduler?

There is a new book out - Jack Strong Takes a Stand - that provides a hilarious and realistically alarming look at over-scheduled children.

Jack Strong Takes a Stand - Book Review

Lisa Pinkus

Moms Site
Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
L
Do you over schedule your children?

Do you under schedule your children?

Lisa Pinkus

Moms Site
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Hi Lisa, A topic I am frequently thinking about. Each of my 3 kids are in 2 things, which for them and their personalities, seems to be the right amount. It means I often feel I am overscheduled but I don't feel that any of them are. And I feel they are learning valuable things through their various extra-curriculars and that they really enjoy them.

Each of them has at least one sport or physical activity (such as dance) each season, and I feel that is very important in terms of them letting off steam, and also to augment the lack of physical education they get in schools these days. Then they each have something else that is just for fun that they have picked (a play, art, lego class etc.) and things change each season for the most part.

I think it really depends on the kid. I was involved in a lot of activities growing up and I loved them, and a lot of them have influenced my own activities as an adult - they have become hobbies or things I enjoy watching (dance, gymnastics etc.) But if a kid feels burdened, or isn't getting enough sleep, or enough time to do homework, or enough time to just relax, then clearly it's a problem. Mine are still young though (7-9), so we will see when they get older - I know a lot of moms of high schoolers who feel it's just out of control.

Lisa Erickson, Buddhism Editor
Buddhism Site
Teaching and Private Session Website: Enlightened Energetics
Blog: Mommy Mystic
L
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
L
Ha! Lisa, I agree with you. It really depends on the kid. Though I'm laughing because - When you have three children and each are in two activities, it's the mom who feels it!!

I have four children - two of whom like to do things and two of whom do not. Even if my children each do one thing - that adds a lot to the schedule (mine, mostly). smile

My children - thankfully - all have an activity on the same day, at the same place - so that makes it easier.

My oldest son is a soccer player but he is taking the year off because he is studying for his Bar Mitzvah. I was willing to work something out, but he elected to take the year off. I admire his decision but also see the need for him to be physical and let off steam! (good point you made) He has started doing some conditioning training on his own, and I think he needs that!!

PS - Can't the high schoolers drive themselves to their activities? wink We are not there yet either. (12, 11, 8, 7)

Lisa Pinkus

Moms Site

Moderated by  Lisa - Moms, Traci - Moms 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.