logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Shark
Shark
I think the "base" of our personality is innate. After all, even an infant has a certain temperament. Then over the years people, circumstances, and events help to hone the personality. I don't think the core of us really ever changes, but we learn to act and react respectably and acceptably in society.

"And the greatest of these is Love"
Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
Sponsored Post Advertisement
J
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
J
Originally Posted By: clairehobby
I think some are innate, some can be changed along with our experience and environment.
Originally Posted By: Chelle SFF Movies
...I don't think the core of us really ever changes, but we learn to act and react respectably and acceptably in society.

Hi Claire and Michelle, that innateness or core does seem to be quite crucial, with 'life experiences' adding to one's personality along the way. (JOY)

I
I
I agree that some parts can be changed and some cannot, but determining what part can be changed can be tricky. I think it is good to accept our personality the way it is. I am naturally very introverted. My mom, who is extroverted tried to encourage me to be more outgoing and sociable. It was very stressful. She loves to sit and just talk for hours at a time. Because she is extroverted it helps her feel energized. Because I am extroverted I feel worn out after a long talking session. People have said I can be more extroverted if I try. Well I have tried. It did not change my personality. I was only pretending to be someone I was not. I feel more comfortable when I am myself. (Like many introverted people, I am much more outgoing online. Some people in my online groups do not believe me when I say I am very introverted.) People sometimes confuse personality traits and psychological issues. Being cautious and careful is a personality trait, but being a compulsive worrier is a psychological issue. So being cautious and careful may not be something you can change, but worrying too much is.

J
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
J
Ilah, you touch on some interesting issues, especially introverts versus extroverts. I find it particularly fascinating how a singer or actor can transform from a timid person to a completely different personality in seconds. (JOY)

I
I
I think the key word is acting. They do not really become a different person, they are only pretending to be a different person. When you just do it once and a while, or you change you personality just for fun (like an actor) it usually works out okay. But when you do it long term because you think that another personality type is better than yours it can be a problem. I have had issues with this because some people think being introverted is a problem to be overcome and not a natural personality type.

N
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
N
I think it can be both innate and able to be changed.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  JOY (Self Development) 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.