#839077 09/21/13 04:41 AM
B
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
B
Afghanistan Reads! aims to build literacy rates among Afghan women and girls.

Afghanistan Reads

Barbara Gibson
Women's Issues
Sponsored Post Advertisement
R
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
R
Hi Barbara--

Read your article. It is an informative piece. Need to ask, with the NATO Forces withdrawing from Afghanistan, what do you think the chances of this program? Obviously, they cannot look to the U.N. for assistance.

RAY HANISCO
VETERANS EDITOR
B
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
B
Hi Ray,

I'm hopeful. Recent high profile attacks have highlighted the deeply entrenched problem of violence against women. I do think more people are paying attention and committed to programs and legislation that will finally begin turning the tide. The Carter Center may also be able to increase awareness and support of this and similar programs. Former President Carter is working on a book that, like Half the Sky, will focus on gender inequality and the challenges women are facing worldwide. Also, program sponsors are hoping that local passion for the program will keep it going regardless of what happens. As an avid reader myself I am confident in the power of the people.

Barbara

Barbara Gibson
Women's Issues
R
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
R
Personally, I believe that a public opinion will not cause the Islamic beliefs of the Taliban to change. We are talking about the one of the basic dogmas of a religion, or a religious sect changing. There is as much of a chance of getting the Taliban to change their stance on women and their rights, as there would be of having the Catholic Church change their stance on abortion, through public opinion. It is not going to happen. I am not trying to be argumentative, I just do not see it happening. The extremist sects will always maintain their beliefs no matter what, e.g. the recent decapitation of the Catholic Priest by an Islamic Extremist group.

RAY HANISCO
VETERANS EDITOR
B
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
B
I understand your pessimism. It is important to remember that change is possible even under the most extreme circumstances. Think about things like women daring to drive or seek education in ultra conservative countries. Think about Saudi women on the Shura Council. Think even about segregation and civil rights or gay marriage. Change happens incrementally. Sometimes change goes forward and then is reversed. Still, we must not lose hope. People of good conscience must never stop working for change or believing in its possibility. Otherwise, what would be the point? What is the meaning of a life in which you can never make a difference? In this instance Afghanistan Reads obviously will not eliminate gender inequality but the ripple effects of literacy on program beneficiaries - their sense of self - and their communities will be immense.

Barbara Gibson
Women's Issues

Moderated by  Barbara - Women's Issues 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.