logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#787519 10/12/12 10:52 AM
S
OP Offline
S
I've always wondered why people always lump sci-fi and fantasy together, given that they're totally different genres. It makes it really difficult to browse departments (online or off). And there aren't even that many crossover writers to justify the mix, in my opinion. I mean, I can understand it in a way (they're both stereotypically geeky boys' subjects) but to me it's like putting crime and horror together because, y'know, people die in both. Makes no sense. Does anyone know why - either logically or historically - they get thrown into the same box?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Both are speculative fiction. That's all i got.

C
Parakeet
Parakeet
C
To me they are very different. SciFi is just that, fiction based on science, usually set in the future. Fantasy is anything BUT scientific, it involves magic and the supernatural and is often set in the past. As a scifi fan, it always bothers me that the shelves in the library that are labelled SciFi are full of stories about wizards and mystics. And judging from some of the cover art, they seem to be aimed at women, not geeky boys.

I
I
There are people who like fantasy, but not science fiction. There are people who like science fiction, but not fantasy. But there are a large number of people who like both. I personally know more people who like both genres. The two genres actually have quite a bit in common, in my opinion. They take place in a world different than the one we live in. The exotic setting is a big part of the appeal. Fantasy monsters and SF aliens are a lot alike. Non-human characters are a common factor as well. The non-human part makes them interesting and exotic. But they are close enough to human that we can talk with them, be friends with them or even consider a romance with them. There is a common saying in the SF community that sufficiently advance technology is indistinguishable from magic. Take a look at some of the things in Star Trek. They can teleport. They can create food instantly. They can revive someone who is technically dead. They have ships that can appear invisible. It seems a little bit like magic. In fact in a fantasy setting the same things are done with magic.

Moderated by  SF/FBooks Evelyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
MyHeritage & OldNews
by Angie - 03/16/24 09:15 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/16/24 08:27 AM
Denmark's Oscar Entry "The Promised Land"
by Angela - Drama Movies - 03/15/24 08:51 PM
Stunning jewelry by Devon Leigh
by sarae - 03/15/24 12:58 PM
From Candlemas to March Equinox
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/14/24 07:35 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/14/24 07:12 PM
A Lenten Reflection
by Angie - 03/13/24 09:24 PM
Stitching by Hand
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/13/24 04:21 PM
Lucy Lawless Directs New Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 03/12/24 05:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/10/24 03:09 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.