Next Thread
Print Thread
#835724 08/31/13 02:35 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
Jealousy, that nasty emotion, begins almost as soon as we are old enough to notice pretty things. Lucy has a doll that is prettier than mine. I wish I had that one. Jealousy causes us to feel underprivileged. It alienates us from one another and distances us from God.
Read this week' article on jealousy
Conquer Jealousy

Last edited by Lynne - ChristianLiving; 09/02/13 04:37 AM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
We were having discussion on Facebook on whether jealousy is always a bad thing. What to you think?

BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
I believe envy is a positive thing. I'm not sure jealousy is a positive thing though, it strikes me as inherently negative. The difference between the two of these would be that jealousy is a fear of loss while envy is an admiration for what someone else possesses, whether skill or spouse or wealth.

That's not to say envy should be sought and jealousy avoided -- some situations call more for one or another, and as I understand it jealousy is a reflexive human emotion. We grapple with it and aren't often rational when it arises. The biggest difference for me is whether one is appropriate or not. Should someone flirt with my wife and get her to smile, it's possible I would feel jealous (appropriately). Regardless of that, it wouldn't be right in any situation to allow that emotion to rule me/her/them, we're ideally more civilized than that.

Many of the people I've met who identify themselves as 'jealous' seem to use it to justify an array of angry or controlling responses, instead of simply as a personal quirk. I might be unfairly biased smile

BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
Thank you for your comment Leif. I'm sorry it took me so long to reply. I kept getting distracted.

It is interesting thinking about the meaning of the words we use often.

According to the dictionary, jealousy does not seem to be something that is good for anyone. The dictionary lists synonyms : COVETOUSNESS, ENVIOUSNESS, GREEN-EYED MONSTER, INVIDIOUSNESS, ENVY, RESENTMENT

Related words are: ANIMOSITY, ENMITY, HATRED, ILL WILL; MALICE, MALICIOUSNESS, SPITEFULNESS

So, I looked up envy. Dictionary.com defines envy as: a feeling of discontent or covetousness with regard to another's advantages, success, possessions

Discontent may be a good motivator but I'm not sure it is a good thing.

Admiration of something someone has is good as long as it is sharing their happiness in having it and not producing discontent in me.

Moderated by  Lynne - ChristianLiving 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.