Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
The Common Core guidelines ignore differences between beginning readers K-3 and children who have learned to read. Not only that, but CC does nothing to change an entrenched instructional method that leaves 50% of U.S. school children unable to read at their intellectual level.

Grades K-3 Need a Different Approach

Last edited by Maeve Maddox-School Ref; 08/19/13 05:19 AM.

Maeve Maddox
School Reform
Sponsored Post Advertisement
A
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
A
Very interesting article, and I couldn't agree more. Before staying home with my two kids I taught 1st grade in Arizona. I have first-hand knowledge of students having completely different levels and abilities yet being required to meet some seemingly unattainable benchmarks given their starting point. I 100% agree with your statement: "All three are worthy goals for our nation’s youth, but like any other ambitious objective, they require a foundation to make them possible." I think a huge piece of the puzzle missing for many of these kids is a solid foundation.

Amy Tradewell
Preschool Education

Don't forget to sign up for the Preschool newsletter!

"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -William Butler Yeats
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Amy,
Your children are fortunate that you are able to take time off from working outside the home during this crucial time in their lives. We justify the trend for mothers of young children to juggle work and home with concepts like "quality time" and "quality daycare," but when push comes to shove, nothing can compare to thousands of pre-school learning hours spent with Momma or Grandma.

Thanks for your comment.

Maeve Maddox
School Reform
E
E
But what about computers? Shouldn't children begin using them as soon as they start school?

A
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
A
I do think that kids need to learn how to use technology at an early age because that is something they will be using their entire lives. However, I think there is a very fine line we (as parents and educators) must walk. Does everything need to be done on a computer or iPad/tablet? I personally do not think so; in fact, sometimes I think technology replaces too much hands-on time with young kids. Admittedly there are some amazing apps that I have used with my own kids that are educational and they have learned a lot from them. My kids at their young ages do know how to work an iPad and other devices. But, at the same time, I also make sure that they are getting age appropriate hands-on and movement based activities to promote the necessary skills and development they need. So, I guess all that rambling to say that yes, I do think its fine for young kids to be exposed to technology, but I do not believe it should ever replace the very important hands-on experiences young kids need to develop. What is your stance on young kids and technology?

Amy Tradewell
Preschool Education

Don't forget to sign up for the Preschool newsletter!

"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -William Butler Yeats
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Amy,
I agree with you. Early exposure to technology is not a bad thing, but there is a danger in overexposure.

I hear politicians and even educators talk about how important it is to put computers or iPads into the hands of children as young as five. I think they are terribly misguided.

Computers are like telephones and other technology that children will learn to use in any case. Millions of children have access to computers from birth. Even children whose caretakers cannot afford home computers have access to them at public libraries and community centers. There's no danger that school children who do not start using computers for school work until the fourth or fifth grade won't be able to hit the ground running with them.

There IS a danger that excessive computer use by young children will prevent them from mastering physical and mental learning skills and the emotional acquisition of empathy.

I've read that some high-priced private schools delay classroom computer use until Grade 6.

My own view is that pre-shcoolers and students K-3 are better served being immersed in language and hands-on activities like drawing, handwriting, crafting, and gardening--activities that enable them to perfect fine motor skills and require them to interact with other children, adults, animals, and the Earth.

Computers are marvelous tools. I wouldn't want to be without mine, but human beings need to know how to function without them.

Maeve Maddox
School Reform

Moderated by  Maeve Maddox-School Ref 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.