logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
My doctor has put me on once a day insulin. I take it at night before bedtime so I don't have to carry it with me. I have told one co worker at work that I am taking it now. She thinks I should tell our boss. I don't want everyone to know at work mostly because I don't want people to make a big deal about it. I don't get along with my boss and I don't want to be treated any differently then I already am. There is another manager in the office I know I can tell and not feel nervous about doing so. What do you guys think?

Jeanette Stingley - Women's Lit
http://womenslit.bellaonline.com
Sponsored Post Advertisement
S
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
S
Hello Jeanette,

Personally, I think your medical history is private & should be your own personal business. But that being said, diabetes needs to be very carefully managed. God forbid, something happens to you at work such as severe hypoglycemia or hyperglycemia -- then a reliable, responsible & qualified person should know about your condition & how to help you quickly. If the colleague you told happens to be ill that day or indisposed, then what?

If you don't feel comfortable telling your boss, then confide in somebody else or inform HR. If you have medical personnel or a nurse available in your workplace, do let them know.

I am sure that on a daily basis, you manage your diabetes very well but I say this only for the sake of precaution in case of an emergency, your health & well-being are most important :-) I know many diabetics that wear the medi-alert bracelets for just this very reason, so in case something happens & 911 is called -- the EMTs will know immediately what to do. Remember in medical emergencies, time is of the essence.

Take care of yourself & be well!

Last edited by Sadhana - Indian Food; 09/04/13 08:54 AM.

SADHANA GINDE, Indian Food Editor

BellaOnline Training Manager, BellaOnline Forum Admin, BellaOnine FB Admin :-)

Indian Food Website

Dont forget to sign up for the Indian Food Newsletter!
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
Thank you Sadhana. Very good advice. There is a lady in our office who is on an insulin pump that she wears visibly on her waistband and she has an medi-alert bracelet as well. I think one of the bracelets is going to be my best bet because I also communte to work on the public bus. If i pass out on the bus, it will be needed.

Jeanette Stingley - Women's Lit
http://womenslit.bellaonline.com
G
Zebra
Zebra
G
Let me start by saying I am a T-II and I don't take insulin. I actually take 2 oral meds.

I don't think your medical condition should be a private matter. When you have a medical problem like diabetes it will, in all likelihood, become a public matter. And I'm not just talking about the big things. I often have low blood glucose and the people around me realize it before I do. I may feel sloggy-ish, or can't keep my thoughts together, or start to ramble my husband will just say "go get something to eat'. I've told my neighbors if I look like I'm walking around the yard drunk, they need to know I haven't been drinking and I may need some help.

I have only passed out once, and that was in a restaurant. Then there was a lot of discussion with those near me about what would have caused it. Now I have a mediical alert tattoo in the spot the EMTs would be taking my pulse. I also keep a card with phone numbers and medications in the outside pocket of my purse. I want to be treated properly and without delay.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain."
S
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
S
Thanks Jeanette, as mentioned by GrannyH -- you should keep an emergency contact list, your doc's # and a list of current meds/dosages handy :-)

My parents are both elderly & diabetic, so that's where I am coming from.

Thanks!

SADHANA GINDE, Indian Food Editor

BellaOnline Training Manager, BellaOnline Forum Admin, BellaOnine FB Admin :-)

Indian Food Website

Dont forget to sign up for the Indian Food Newsletter!
C
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
C
Who and how many people that you tell depends on each individual's life situation. If you don't go really high or low, and you don't have huge swings in your blood glucose levels, you might want to tell only a select few.

However, if you go dangerously high or low, or even high or low enough to affect the way you react to situations, you should make sure that enough people know to keep you and your co-workers safe. You do not want to start driving if your blood sugar causes you to be impaired.

Connie Mistler Davidson-Editor-ADD/Sandwiches/Reading
Attention Deficit Disorder
Sandwiches
Reading
Avatar: Hope~Even when conditions are harsh, hope can bloom.

My EBook link.
Building School Success with ADD EBook Link

Moderated by  C. Kimura 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.