logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#832425 08/04/13 02:45 PM
OP Offline
No, that is not a typo. It really is P-ishing, and not the familiar F-ishing. So...what is it? And how do you do it? And, importantly, should you?

Most perching birds, also known as passerines, are inhabitants of forested areas. All those trees, with all their leaves, make for a pretty thick cover to hide tiny birds- birds which, in the inverse of a childhood homily, can often be heard but not seen. When the goal is to actually see the bird in question in order to identify it positively, birders have used a technique for centuries that is simply called pishing. Just like it sounds, pishing is the forming of compressed, thinly pursed lips into a p-s-s-h-h-h that is repeated rapidly. P-s-s-h-h-h, p-s-s-h-h-h, p-s-s-h-h-h, p-s-s-h-h-h... The tongue is usually tightly placed against the back of the front teeth. This sound, and its variants, serves to engage the curiosity of the hidden birds and to entice them to come closer and into view. Birds that seem most yielding to the suggestible sound are tufted titmice and chickadees. And where they go, others are sure to follow. Nuthatches, jays, woodpeckers, flycatchers, warblers, cardinals and sparrows are just a few of the songbirds one can call in to view.

Most scientists are in agreement that the sound is attractive to the birds because it mimics the mobbing calls of some songbirds used to summon other species to join them in surrounding and driving off predator birds (such as hawks and owls). It is also thought that the sound is similar to calls for other birds to join in a food feast when a particularly abundant source has been found.

The practice has its vehement detractors within and without the birding community. Leading ornithologists on both sides of the debate have weighed in over the years. Pishing is said to disrupt mate selection, cause nest and mate abandonment, interrupt feeding, drive birds away (hawks, for instance, can be flushed this way only because they are hurriedly getting out of Dodge when they hear the sound), and exhaust already stressed birds who are in migration. Advocates claim that judicious and timely use of the practice can contribute to scientific counts and verification of resident bird species. Many songbirds are quite shy, and they do not call except during mating season, so they are not heard at all, and must be drawn out in order to be seen and inventoried.

It is agreed, however, that ethics demand certain standards when pishing: go where the birds are; pish and stop and wait; do not pish when the temperature is far below freezing, or the human birding traffic is high, or when the birds are mating and nesting, or when hawks are near. Also, refrain from pishing if other birders nearby object.

Pishing and other imitative noises are effective measures for drawing out birds so they can be seen, photographed, listed, inventoried, or shared with a bird tour or your own family or classroom. Use it wisely and judiciously, and when in doubt, please don’t. Err always on the side of the birds.

Last edited by Jeanne Egbosiuba Ukwendu; 08/17/13 03:02 PM.

Best regards,

Carrie McLaughlin
Birding Editor, Bellaonline
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
Hi Carrie,

Bienvenidos a BellaOnline!

Heck of a first article! Thanks for such a clear and especially well-balanced presentation on a controversial topic that many people may not have been aware of before.

Perhaps in the future you will be sharing your perspectives on the even more controversial (over) use of playback?

Les
ex- Mexico/Birds/Agnostic-Atheist Editor

OP Offline
Gracias, Les! Pleased to meet you...and thanks for your kind words of support.

Playback over-usage has indeed become a serious concern- more than most naturalists and biologists are aware of, I believe, as many of them are not also intimately involved with the birding community. Traditionally, only the most determined, or the most financially able, or scientific researchers in the field, had access to avian sound recordings for use- and these folks were well-versed in appropriate and judicious use. With the advent of smart phones and their apps, this technology has become instantly available to everyone, and ignorance of the ethics involved is literally killing our birds.

Thank you for the suggestion, Les, and I will place this topic high on my list of priorities. Coming next, though, will be an expose of the imminent threat to the barred owl in the Pacific Northwest United States as the US Fish and Wildlife Service publishes their recommendations this month for killing them out of those territories- unless the public intervenes again as they did in 2005-6.

Mas tarde...

Last edited by Jeanne Egbosiuba Ukwendu; 08/17/13 03:03 PM.

Best regards,

Carrie McLaughlin
D
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
D
Welcome, Carrie!

I found your article to be both interesting and informative. I did not know about this method to call birds. You are right, the key is to be selective when using this technique so as not to cause disruption to the birds.

Debbie Grejdus
Spirituality Site Editor
Spirituality Forum Moderator
OP Offline
Hi Debbie!

I was a little hesitant to write about this since I know that a lot of folks are unaware of the technique (and I think it is better kept that way). But, as Les has alluded to, the mechanical playback issue is much more dangerous and controversial and increasingly pervasive (when used unethically), so relatively speaking, I would rather see and hear people using the pishing method than their recorders. I have also experienced for myself as a child (and observed other children since) instinctively making tiny attractant noises with the lips. It is one of those things that evolves over time as you grow closer to the natural world around you, and being humans, we have a strong need to make connections. When I was little, I found that making little squirrel noises definitely interested the birds. It was trail and error as to what drew them in and what repulsed them. Unfortunately, I did not know or understand about not doing that when mating and nesting, or in the presence of predators. I cringe to think of the harm I may have caused while I was experimenting.

Thanks for the welcome, Debbie!

Last edited by Carrie - Birding Editor; 09/02/13 10:26 AM.

Best regards,

Carrie McLaughlin

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.