logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#835816 08/31/13 04:44 PM
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Having just posted an article about Saartjie Baartman, I was interested in your perceptions of big butts. Saartjie was an African who in 1810 went to London and displayed herself. She did this so she could be free and not work in servitude. My question is, while we no longer condone "freak shows", is what Saarjite did, (putting her large buttocks on display to earn money) any different from the celebrities of today? Do you feel she was exploited or was she simply doing the best she could?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Koala
Koala
To Nadine

In the 1800 and beginning of 1900 having a big but and large breasts were signs of beauty.However time changed that vision of women.
I myself as a man, like woman that do not look like ,they suffer from anorexia.However ,may I ask what you consider big butt.
Are you talking of woman that have a large butt or one that is obese.To me there lies the answer to your question.

loong

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Hi Loong, I guess the old saying, beauty is the eye of the beholder, would apply here. That is a wonderful question and of course the term, big butt, is subjective. I think my bigger question was about how women use their bodies to get noticed and how do people feel about that. Is it objectifying them or do you feel it is ok for a woman to use her physical attributes to get ahead in life?

Last edited by Nadine - Body Image; 08/31/13 08:41 PM.
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Using physical difference as a source of income was big business in the 18th century. Here is a little history on the subject, plus a podcast of the spirit or entrepreneurship around at the time Saartjie Baartman came to London.

Ian - Pagan Editor

"We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves."

"With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world. "

Dalai Lama
Koala
Koala
Dear Nadine,

Your answer is twofold.First you say ,people use their bodies to get noticed.That is true.I am 67 years old today ,If you would see me in abathing suit ,you would not beleive ,how I look.I have no sagging muscles or skin.Went through a very rough life.
I use my looks to get noticed ,and it works.
Second part of your text was totally to my opinion,differently oriented.One using her/his looks or attributes to get further in life.Is it o.k. I beleive it to be a question of morals.Each person chooses their ways of getting ahead .I have known many
woman that used their charms.But everything is impermanent,so one is better to use his knowledge,experience ,knowhow,and throw
in ,some of her/his charm in .A beautiful smile,a great attitude.
A body does not make a brain .A brain can make attributes better.

I hope this is an answer more in line of what you were looking for.
loong

Moderated by  Nadine - Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.