Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
It's the last day of August and Mars has not looked the size of the full Moon. So if you've had the email or seen it on FB or other social media, it's too late for it to happen this year. In fact, if we should ever see Mars that large, we would be in Big Trouble, because it would mean that Mars has left its distant orbit and is coming very close to us. Eek!

This nonsense has been circulating since 2003 when Mars was at a close opposition. When a planet is at opposition it's at its closest to us. I remember that opposition. Mars looked like an exceptionally bright red star. It was lovely, but still looked no bigger than a star.

Someone had suggested that through a telescope Mars would look as big as a full Moon. That's quite different to just looking up at the sky. And I don't know why we get this every August even when Mars is not at opposition - such as now.

So what does Mars look like from Earth now? Erm, I don't know. The sky charts show it low in the eastern sky (in Cancer) around dawn. Besides the fact that I'm not an early riser, I have a hill to the east which obscures the dawn sky. Anybody else seen it lately?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
I've pinned a photo taken very near the Mars opposition in 2003 when it was comparatively close to us. It shows the Moon and Mars in the sky. (We call it a conjunction when you can see two heavenly bodies appear to be close together.)

Last edited by Mona - Astronomy; 09/03/13 12:09 PM.
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
Now that the world is taking a bigger interest in Mars, it is probably becoming a bigger image in mind, too. smile

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
LOL. Good point, Susan. Of course Mars looks very big indeed if you're a Mars rover or a Mars orbiter. And if you were about half a million miles from Mars, it'd look about the size of a full Moon. But as it's more like 35 million miles away, it doesn't look big to the Earthbound.

I guess it's pictures like these of Mars that make it feel bigger and closer.

BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
I love the photos and paragraphs in your Pinterest photos - thanks for sharing ...

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Thank you, Susan, I'm glad that you like the Pinterest photos and descriptions. I look at other people's pictures, but often find it disappointing if they don't say anything about them.

Moderated by  Mona - Astronomy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.