logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
Can you think of other factors to consider when making the choice to become a distance learner?

Is Distance Learning Right for You?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
Great article!

Both my daughter and I have taken online classes and I must say that the type of class also makes a big difference. Some classes lends themselves well to distance learning, while others are so much more difficult. We both took an online accounting class - it was not good...LOL... but anything to do with writing, we excelled at, while I'm sure others may be the exact opposite.

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
I'm with Dianne: depends upon the type of class AND why I'm taking it. For instance, I love Craftsy's elearning set up because the topic is as good or better (because I can stop and review whenever) than a hands on quilting class, for instance.

However, if the networking aspect is as important as the content in taking an online course, then distance learning needs help if it does not include a meet up of students and teacher. There's no hanging around for coffee after Johns Hopkins online epidemiology courses...which turned out to be a huge disappointment. I had to schedule around awkward times of live lectures, sign in, and then find that the speakers never allowed enough time for adequate Q&A (or lost half an hour trying to get everyone's sound working!).

Since many schools are now cashing in on this very cost effective (for them) income stream, there are a lot of courses that in my opinion are just not worth the money. Especially if all they do is tell you which part of the book to read and write a paper on. You can do that without paying them, so you have to weigh whether it is more important to just broaden your background info, or to pay for a paper credential!

That said, the field is expanding and developing at light speed, and there are innovative and creative changes happening by the minute. Before spending the money, check on how much interaction you will have (or want) with the teacher(s) as well as fellow students. I love that I can access my Craftsy quilting classes whenever I want to (like at 2 am when menopause has left me wide awake!) because they aren't 'live' lectures. There is even Q&A in real time (others who are also up at that hour, LOL) long after the teacher is no longer monitoring, because other students take time to share.

I love being able to take classes or attend lectures (on just about anything I want) with my computer! I love the flexibility and the chance to keep learning without having to spend hours a semester just looking for a parking space, LOL.

Cheryll Schuette
Bahá'í Site
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
Great summary of what to consider. I've been an online student for a while and half of my classes this term are online as well. It really does take a special kind of attention.

I also second Dianne's stance that the material matters. My philosophy course would have gone better in a campus environment; I'm almost certain of it.

Distance learning networking does need help! I've made way fewer contacts online than I have on campus. Most students don't appear to want to make any attempts at networking relationships. I believe that in my English composition courses alone I've made only a quarter of the amount of contacts when online instead of on campus. That said, I've run into many more negative relationships via online group activities and required forums than I ever did on campus. It's a very different environment.

I cannot agree more with time management being a must. There is no cure-all for everyone, either: Time management is a very particular thing for each individual. I'm a sucker for almost every LifeHacker or other article on time management I come across. It's a lifelong battle but if you don't have a solid grasp on it - distance learning isn't the best option.

Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
Hi Dianne:

Yes, I’ll have to agree with you that some classes are not conducive to an online learning environment. I experienced this during a few of my programming classes. My first programming class was online, and it was quite difficult. The next class I attended on campus and worked with a team to develop a computer game similar to Yahtzee. The experience was comforting and educational; comforting because it was nice to see other experience my same struggles, and educational, because there were methods I learned from other students that would have been impossible to share in an online environment.

Thanks for your feedback.

Patricia

Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
Hi Cheryl:

That’s a good point about the benefits of e-Learning, you can pause the learning module or re-review at your leisure, much harder to do in a classroom setting. There are definitely some benefits, but it does appear that some online courses can be quite expensive. There are those students who just want to get through school and get on with their career, and there are students who are there to learn, and expect a return in their educational investment. I do believe we are still in the transition phase of the online learning era with room for improvement.

Patricia

Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
Hi Leif:

Yes, organization skills and time management are a definite must for online learning. I’ll have to agree about the networking aspect of distance learning, although there is a lot of discussion amongst the students during each class, that is typically where the relationship ends. Whereas in a classroom setting, relationships are more likely to happen because there is time to socialize on a more personal level to get to know your fellow student. However, I believe it is a benefit to students to incorporate both classroom learning as well as distance learning to achieve a well rounded education and a variety of skills that will be useful in a job setting.

Patricia

BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
I definitely agree that combining distance learning with classroom provides for a more well rounded education with varied skills. This term I'm half online and half offline: I'm finding it very enriching yet free.

Thank you for your articles!

Hi all, Good article!Definitely, Distance learning is right for me. My tight working schedule leaves me with distance learning option only. I find it convenient because after a busy day, I can manage an hour or less to study. One of the things I consider while enrolling for these courses is the availability of platforms to access support and share content and challenges with my fellow students.

Last edited by Jeci; 08/28/13 02:23 AM.
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
Thanks for your support Leif. :-)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Patricia PN - DL Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.