Lofthouse Sugar cookies are those soft cake like sugar cookies you find at the grocery store frosted with a sweet bright buttercream. My daughter always wants me to buy them and they are good. Over time I've worked with a few different recipes that pretty much taste the same and this is the one I ended up with. It's a soft cake like sugar cookie with yummy frosting and you can shape these anyway you like and decorate them how you like. Enjoy! Picture is of prepackaged cookies.
Cook time: 10 Min Prep time: 25 Min Serves: about 4 dozen cookies

COOKIE DOUGH
1/2 c sour cream
1 c sugar
1/2 c butter, softened
2 eggs
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
3 c all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
BUTTERCREAM FROSTING
4 c powdered sugar
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 Tbsp whole milk
1/2 c butter, softened
1/2 c vegetable shortening
food coloring to color frosting (optional)
candy sprinkles or colored sugar to decorate (optional)

Directions

1. COOKIE DOUGH DIRECTIONS: In a large bowl combine sour cream, sugar, butter, eggs and vanilla; mix well. In a smaller bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt, then add to wet mixture and mix until everything is just incorporated. With a cookie scoop, scoop out even size scoops of dough and then roll in a ball in your hand and place on a cookie sheet and slightly flatten with your hand so it's in a circular shape. Bake in a pre-heated 350 degree oven until light golden brown, no more than 10 minutes. They may seem under done but they aren't. Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool completely before frosting.

2. BUTTERCREAM FROSTING DIRECTIONS: Directions: Cream together butter and shortening in mixer, with paddle attachment on medium for about 2 minutes. Add 1/2 cup powdered sugar and beat until smooth, Add another 1/2 cup and beat until smooth. Add Vanilla, mix. Add gradually the remaining sugar and milk, making sure you end with sugar. Continue to mix on medium until smooth.

**SOURCE: by Annamaria Settanni McDonald
LOFTHOUSE SUGAR COOKIES RECIPE

Last edited by Sadhana - Indian Food; 07/24/13 09:38 AM.

Margaret_L