Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
I
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I
Tanya J. Peterson's Leave of Absence is a story about two people who suffer immensely from mental issues, but through each other's friendship they are able to face thier fears and slowly accept the hope of a new beginning. Check out the full review of this new read!
Book Review - Leave of Absence

Ije Yvonne, Editor
Literary Fiction
Current Events
Sponsored Post Advertisement
C
C
Thank you for recommending this book. I just read it based on your review. It was devastating. I say devastating because of the amount of mental pain and anguish the characters endure all the way through, despite caring and capable therapists and caregivers. The textbook descriptions of mental illness we read in nursing school were just clinical facts; this was the best picture ever painted in words of what it's like to actually be and think like a schizophrenic, medicated or not, and, in the case of the other main character, someone undergoing grief at a traumatized level along with PTSD. It was written by a therapist. Many times the writing, the dialog, is very stilted and simple, to the point where you think the characters are mentally challenged (as opposed to, or in addition to, mentally ill), but I think it's because it's a book that's meant to teach people of various levels and abilities.

I
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I
Thank you for your post, ChrisCat, I am quite happy that you got to read the book based on my review. The book really is quite an eye-opener; it was indeed a 'painting in words' of what the mentally ill go through (you described it to a T!) This is exactly what gets me excited about literary fiction - the ability and skill (of the author) to show, to paint, to illustrate with WORDS with the intention to enlighten and educate, so that the we the reader can feel exactly what the characters feel, as though we were right there with them. I'm very pleased that you enjoyed it as much as I did!

Ije

Ije Yvonne, Editor
Literary Fiction
Current Events

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.