Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
On a blisteringly hot summer's afternoon, Andy Murray has fulfilled the hopes and dreams of the British people by becoming the first British man in 77 years to win Wimbledon.

Last edited by Asha - Scot./Eng. Culture; 07/07/13 08:08 AM.

Asha Sahni
Dreams Editor

Sponsored Post Advertisement
N
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
N
That is good to hear! I like him and hate that ball bouncing cheating injury faking idiot he beat!

I stopped watching Tennis the moment Andy Roddick went off the court after his final match. Rafael Nadal is still playing and he is the one who brought me back to Tennis (had stop for a few years...its rarely shown here on tv EVEN when you have a satellite) but Dicky retiring so young was so sad that I just gave that sport up (i still had to watch most of the games on the internet).

S
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
S
Andy ROCKED, what a great match!! So happy he won :-))

SADHANA GINDE, Indian Food Editor

BellaOnline Training Manager, BellaOnline Forum Admin, BellaOnine FB Admin :-)

Indian Food Website

Dont forget to sign up for the Indian Food Newsletter!
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Nancy I guess we've always been lucky with tennis coverage here - maybe because Wimbledon is seen as such a prestigious event in the tennis calendar. I've always liked Andy Murray, and was saying to people years ago when he didn't have a good press that I reckoned he could win Wimbledon.

Sadhana I agree it was a great match. I wrote an article about it under Scottish Culture - after all, he is Scottish even though he gets the British title a lot when the English want to own him!

Andy Murray's Wimbledon Win

Asha Sahni
Dreams Editor

N
N
Asha,

Even with Grand Slams we barely are able to get Tennis on television and when it is on we are lucky if it's live. It's a shame and stupid too since this is a popular sport in Canada. Plus the commentators for Tennis of my province are two people I love to listen to, the commentators from my Hockey team and them are the ones who do not drive me insane when watching sports.

As for Andy Murray I was always a fan eventhough I did not want to watch all of his games like with Andre Agassi, Andy Roddick, Rafael Nadal and Lleyton Hewitt. I love his personality. The media and people loves to find people to hate and he is one of their victim. And England being proud of him winning like he is from there is getting on my nerves, especially since when he loses they mention that he is Scottish. My province does this too, when athletes from Quebec win they are Quebecers but when they lose they are Canadians.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Nancy you are so right about people being Scottish when they lose yet British if they win, and I love your comparison with Quebecers and Canadians.

Do you get good coverage of other sports? I would assume Canada is good at covering winter sports...

Asha Sahni
Dreams Editor

N
N
I can only answer you for Formula One (i have stopped watching when Shumi retired again...did not watch either the 3 years he was gone before that) and Hockey. For Formula One if you are in Quebec it is good because they show 99% of the qualifications and 100% of the races, the free sessions we can only see the second and on an American channel, TSN is the English Canadian channel and they maybe show 50-60% of the qualifications and they sometimes don't show the races live, except for Tennis I hate watching sports in French but I was always on RDS even when TSN were showing Formula One because during the races (except for Montreal strangely..at least they show every free practice these weekends) there's a little square where we can still see the race during the commercials. For Hockey if in Quebec you do not follow Montreal and in the rest of Canada if you do not follow a Canadian team you have to have Center Ice, the games against Montreal are blocked on Center Ice in Quebec and in some parts close to the province so if no English channels in Canada show that game you are stuck watching your game on RDS (this is pure torture).

What about England? From what I see you guys are luck with sports coverage.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
We do seem lucky with sports coverage Nancy. I hadn't appreciated how good it does semm to be compared to some other countries. Big events are covered on TV and/or radio. Horseracing, golf, tennis, football, cricket and snooker all get good coverage.

Asha Sahni
Dreams Editor

Moderated by  Sarah - English Culture 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.