Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#828215 07/02/13 11:21 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
My weekly circular from Walmart states that Walmart plans to spend more money buying products Made in the USA. In this circular, they showed six products that are made in the United States. That got my investing wheels turning.

Suppose you want to own a portfolio of stocks of companies that manufacture in the U.S.
Perhaps to help keep jobs available to U.S. citizens or as a sign of patriotism. So I thought the circular would be a good place to start. The products included Dawn dish detergent, Brawny paper towels, Backyard Grill lighter fluid, Kingsford charcoal, a Coleman cooler, and a Nuk patriotic cup.

The next step is to determine who the manufacturer of the products are and if they are publicly traded companies with stock to invest in. I'll continue this post the next day. In the interim, why don't you join me? Google the products and find out who makes them.

Sandra Baublitz, Investing/Home Finance Editor
Investing Website
Home Finance Website
Sandra Baublitz Author Webpage

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Okay. So I did a Google search of each of the products to see who are the manufacturers and if they are publicly traded. Some were easy to find and others required more extensive searching.

1. Brawny - Brawny is made by Georgia Pacific. Georgia Pacific used to be a publicly traded company but they were bought out by Koch Industries. Koch Industries have remained privately held. So Brawny has no stock to invest in.

2. Nuk - I could not find this in my Google search. I tried finding the cups at Walmart today and was unable to locate them. I wanted to find the manufacturer on the cup. So I'll try some more research, but for now Nuk is out for a stock investing idea.

3. Dawn - Okay, jackpot. Dawn is owned by Proctor and Gamble. Their website is pg.com. They have lots of company info and a plan where you can invest directly through the company.

4. Backyard Grill - Again, I had a lot of difficulty with this product. It may be owned by HOC Industries, but I'm not sure. If it is HOC, then it is out because the company is privately owned. More research is required to be sure.

5. Kingsford Charcoal - Good news. Kingsford is owned by The Clorox Company. Their website is thecloroxcompany.com. This is a good option for a stock investment.

6. Coleman - Coleman is owned by the Jarden Corporation. The website is jarden.com. Another good option.

So the results look like we have three options: Proctor & Gamble, The Clorox Company, and Jarden Corporation.

How did you do with your research?

Investing Website
Home Finance Website

BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Let me stop here a minute and explain in a little more detail how I did this research. My first step was to Google the name of the product along with words such as "manufacturer" or "maker" or "company" or "who makes".

This often presented me with a list of websites that answered the question in the short info that comes with the Google listing. Dawn is a good example of this. Oddly enough, Wikipedia often had the answer on their site along with a history of the company.

Other times, I had to try different combos of words like "company investor" to get the info. Backyard Grill was a real problem. There are lots of Backyard Grill companies or references for people wanting to grill. In fact, I didn't find the Backyard Grill I was searching for. I perused several of these reference sites but to no luck.

Once I found the company that made the product, I googled the company's name and "website" or "company stock" or "company investor". This usually returned a listing that included the main company website. Many times, it came up with a link to the section of the company website devoted to investing in the company's stock.

So that is it. It is a fairly simple search although it can be time-consuming. And sometimes frustrating. But this is a good method to use to find out who makes a product and if that company is publicly traded.

Investing Website
Home Finance Website

BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
I discovered that Lazyboy states that they are Made in the USA. I'll have to do some research to check this out.

Investing Website
Home Finance Website

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Hi Sandra,

Have you tried:

http:
//www.dartcontainer.com/

I used to work for the $5M Auditorium they donated to the local community college smile

-- Burt B. smile

BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Thanks Burt. I'll check it out.

Investing Website
Home Finance Website

BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
I checked out La-Z-Boy and Burt's suggestion of Dart Container. Unfortunately, Dart Container is a privately held company. This is disappointing because the company looked to be promising. According to their website, they manufactured their own raw materials for their products. Dart makes foam cups, etc.

La-Z-Boy is publicly traded and they do make their furniture in the USA. So I'll add them to the list of possible companies to invest in.

Investing Website
Home Finance Website

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
I haven't seen any investor link, so this may be private also:

http:
//www.sauder.com/

-- Burt B.

BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Burt - Thanks for the suggestion. Another great Made in the USA company.

I checked but Sauder is still privately held.

Investing Website
Home Finance Website

BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Isn't it odd how you can miss something right in front of you? I had to get a new washer recently. Yesterday, I finally noticed that it had a label stating it was made in the USA. It's a Maytag.

Maytag is owned by Whirlpool. Whirlpool is a publicly-traded company.

Investing Website
Home Finance Website

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Sandra Investing/HFinance 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.