Next Thread
Print Thread
#827602 06/27/13 08:12 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Helen Keller's birthday was just celebrated, and I think it's intriguing to remember one of her most famous quotes:

"There is so much in the Bible against which every instinct of my being rebels, so much so that I regret the necessity which has compelled me to read it through from beginning to end."

It's an intriguing thought. I do believe we should all read the Bible from beginning to end, as it forms the basis of so much in society. The only way to have an engaged discussion on any topic thoroughly is to understand it completely first.

If you are an atheist, have you read the Bible? Or do you rely on the thoughts of others on it? Have you only read sections? Why or why not?

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Yes Lisa in common with many other people I have read the bible. In fact more than once and long ago but nevertheless. Have also read the Torah, an English translation thank heavens, and the Qur'an, also in English. Staggered through, just willing myself to actually get to the end, The Book of Mormon. All these faiths have the same God as you know. Have left Scientology alone.

Am not an atheist but the bible does not form a base for any society I know, although I have many friends of different nationalities who happen to be devout followers of their faiths. Some of whom attend church/temple/mosque regularly..........not something which takes place as often in most European countries as it does in the US.

They live their lives in what can only be called a spiritual way. Without exception these are thoroughly 'nice' people, not only within their own lives and families but also deeply involved in all types of charities, are without prejudice and open to those who are of another faith, or in fact have none. So this includes those who are “labelled” atheists.

It has never been an important topic however over the years we have discussed their beliefs from time to time, and not one of them bases their lives on the Bible, a book, even though they have read it. Often forced to read it at some time, and for whatever reason.

For them their spirituality is a way of life, and a lot of what is in the bible they did not find to be a good example to follow.

And interestingly, although obviously not all are Catholics or even have a bible in the home, friends I have spoken to recently find that the new Pope, with his way of thinking and acting, has made a positive impression and is an excellent 'advertisement' for his faith.

I only know one person who often quotes from the bible and probably knows the book 'inside out'. He is a protestant pastor, and although an amusing and interesting human being, with a definite 'good' side, his life is anything but Christian in most senses of the word. In fact the Germans have a description for it "scheinheilig".

Seem to remember that the US has also had quite a few of those leading various churches, as have most other countries involving all manner of different faiths. To lay claim to a religion is no guarantee that one is spiritual, or even nice/honest/responsible.

Helen Keller is simply one of many 'famous' people' who at one time or another has publicly questioned the contents and relevance of the Bible. Including Einstein who "soon reached the conviction that much in the stories of the Bible could not be true" , and Mark Twain, brought up to be religious but as an adult, and author who could easily put his feelings into words, made no secret of his search for what he could really believe in.

One would imagine in order to become an atheist one first knows what it is that is being rejected, so question whether it is necessary for anyone to read the Bible, which is for many people a sacred Holy Book, simply for research.

For someone to read it from personal belief and conviction is a different thing altogether.

Francine A. McKenna - German Culture Editor

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Dear Francine -

That's an interesting thought, about church attendance in different locations. I'll make a separate thread about it!

On this topic, I do think that it's important for all adults to read the Bible, whether they believe in it or not. The document is integral for many of our world's populations. To understand what basis they have for their point of view is key.

In terms of being an atheist I think it's doubly important to have read it, for the reasons you mentioned. With the majority of the world believing in the Bible it's important to know what it says, if one is then going to say one does not believe in it.

That being said, I'm not sure it's "necessary" to read it in order to be an atheist, because the Bible is just one view of God. There are many views of God. An atheist is saying "I believe in no supernatural overseeing force at all" - and they can do that without having to read about particular versions of them. A person can feel there are no supernatural all-powerful beings without reading specific stories of them.

So from a belief point of view I don't see it as necessary. But from an adult-living-in-a-modern-world point of view, I would find it absolutely critical.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Hmmm, interesting points Lisa.

The emphasis on the Bible and various forms of Christianity is stronger in the the USA than elsewhere, so it is difficult to compare the situations.

Have been told by friends who have moved back to the East Coast that one third of the adult population believe the book is the actual work of God so to be taken literally word for word, and at the same time a high percentage of those who do not think this way still believe it to be the inspired word of God just that not everything in it should be taken literally.

This is not surprising of course given the roots of the USA, but it is an exception as far as the rest of the developed world is concerned, where both the bible and Christianity are losing influence.

Despite the fact that in its various forms, from Roman Catholic and Protestant to Jehovah's Witnesses and The Church of the Latter Day Saints, for 33 percent of the world's population the bible is the representative book in one form or another.

Although of course that does mean for around 67 percent of people the bible has no relevance.

It is possible that in the past there were a large number of people who participated in their religion solely due to the expectations of their families and not from an unquestioning belief.

However certainly in Europe and many individual countries, with the exception of a rise in Islam, in general there is a turning away from formal religion.

It has been well publicized that it was quite possible to plant bombs, shoot, kill, maim, then go to church, confess to a priest, be absolved of all sins and therefore ensured of a passage to heaven. In recent history the Mafia were good at using that loophole and so were the IRA in Ireland and the UK, but these are just two examples amongst many from various formal religions.

While Hitler is known to not only have said but actually believed he 'had God on his side'.

People are free to believe whatever they wish, question and come to their own conclusions, and this is what seems to be happening. In many things not only in questions of religion.

Sometimes this might even involve reading a bible from cover to cover and still deciding it is not for them. That however should not be mandatory.

It does not mean there is a rising 'godless' society in the negative sense, more that, as well as a rise in the number of atheists, beliefs such as Buddhism are also increasing.

Beliefs where the credo is basically 'the buck stops here', with us as individuals and our own behavior.

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Dear Francine -

Oh, absolutely, I agree that there are large swaths of people who do not believe in the Bible from end to end. Still, I think it would be fair to say, for example, that most people who are born and live in the US are raised and "indoctrinated" in the culture as it exists here. They often don't even realize that they are seeing the world through the filter of their upbringing. And much of the culture of the US has its initial foundations in Biblical points of view. Do not kill. Listen to your parents. That sort of thing.

When an image is portrayed of a woman and an apple, a whole "background story" comes to mind. When an image shows a large boat full of animals, the whole "background story" comes to mind. So those are part of the overall culture, and not just of people who are Catholic and go to church weekly.

I believe this would be true for many countries. Let's say many people in France do not go to church. I would believe that most of them, being raised in France, having gone through the French school system, having been raised watching French TV, still get a certain set of messages and ideas embedded in their brains that they simply take as "normal".

In my various discussions on the web over the years people often say "My parents raised me to know right from wrong" or "I just know it". Much of that comes down to the way we were indoctrinated as youth. It is nearly impossible (if not fully impossible) to completely shake that off, even if it we give it our absolute, full attention as adults. That wiring was made to our brains when it was still unformed. And that wiring was laid on top of the evolutionary instincts that study after study shows are incredibly powerful. Show a guy photos of women, with some in red frames, and the guys tend to go for the woman in the red frame. Show them women walking by, some in a red dress, and they tend to go for the red dress. Some things are just at such a base level in our brain that we can barely "see it".

So, in terms of the Bible, I think that it has interwoven in so many cultures for so many years that we might not even realize the influence it has. We almost take those subtle hints for granted. We just think they "are". That's part of why I feel it's so important we all read it and know what it says, to be more aware of that.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Think we have to agree to differ a little bit Lisa, which is absolutely OK don't you think? As over 60 percent of folk have no contact to the bible, it is not part of their religion, belief, faith or whatever, then there will be no influence from it. They will have their own set of rules and standards, some of which do of course cause complications when they come into contact with a more bible orientated society.

Nevertheless generally accepted standards of behavior, manners, not killing each other etc. etc. have nothing to do with the bible I think, simply with the development of human society over the years.

Having learned to coexist in both a wide and narrow context over the centuries, rules and boundaries were developed which gave guidance in various situations.

As for your example of France, which I know was simply that, just a random example. Have spent a great deal of time there in recent years, not entirely willingly, having before only visited for days or weeks at a time and thoroughly enjoyed each visit. In addition my father was a convinced Francophile who spent quite some time in the country.

However when there for longer periods it is rather disconcerting to realize that any connection to the Ten Commandments, or anything like them, is MIA in so many instances that it is hard to believe there are any influences coming from any type of book.

Holy or simply a bible of good manners and standards of behavior. At school, via TV or anywhere else.

And yes there are a mass of religious holidays and churches large and small.

However except in the small villages, and large chic churches and cathedrals where one occasionally goes "to be seen" wearing the latest fashions or newest husband/wife/mistress or whatever, much as Peter says on another post discussing the UK, in France also these are used for "Hatching, Matching and Dispatching" basically.

Have always been astonished that people leave their own country, for a change one assumes, and then choose to live in a form of Ghetto surrounded only by their countrymen in their new home. Now at least in regards to one country I can now understand the reasoning.

Additionally I have never ever seen such cruelty to animals in a 'civilized' country.

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the ways its animals are treated - Mahatma Gandhi who was of course Hindu and had probably never held a bible in his life.

Yes did theorize in another post that the USA is more bible conscious than elsewhere, and because of the country's history it would be very strange indeed if things had turned out differently. I agree with you absolutely in as much as the religious world is seen through the eyes, conditioning and experiences of the people who live there, it works that way for all of us really, wherever we are.

It is just a little different in Europe as of course we are surrounded by the influences of many different cultures and languages, and now we have at last stopped trying to kill each other this has many positive sides, including the possibility for a wider world view.

However as a dispassionate observer the "Do not kill" sentiment which you quote, the seventh of the commandments, does not seem to add up when, since the Newtown shootings, and as of today's date, 6/29/2013, in the US an estimated 16,500 people have died from guns.

But perhaps that is just a European viewpoint, and of course it isn't only different religious beliefs which can sometimes cause a bit of 'deep thinking', even crossed purposes, the same certainly goes for different cultures. smile

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Dear Francine -

Absolutely, the beauty of the internet is that we can discuss a variety of views. If we all had the same view the discussion would be fairly boring.

Me: I believe X.

You: I believe X.

Me: It's nice that you believe X.

You: It's nice that you too believe X.

smile

So with that being said, I would gently disagree with the thought that any person brought up in Western culture is not impacted by the thoughts of the Bible. All modern Western governments are founded based on the general principles espoused in it. Even people who did not read the Bible are living a life based on the overall guidelines. Yes, certainly, people in Western cultures then take those principles for granted! They think of them as natural and normal.

A study of civilizations around the world, and over the years, shows just how immensely varied and wide-ranging the actual belief systems have been on our earth. The ones in Western culture in modern times are an extremely narrow slice of the beliefs people have held. Western culture is not innately better (or worse) than any other culture.

For example, what really are "good manners"? Good manners are what a specific culture defines as the proper mode of behavior. Some cultures include berating those of a lesser caste. Some cultures include bludgeoning those who show even a tiny amount of disrespect. Some involve strict lines of "respect" between different groups of people. Some involve kids being treated as little gods. Some involve kids being silent and barely seen and being deferential to adults. Good manners varies wildly from culture to culture. There is no single standard.

So I think to start from the standpoint that there is one general standard of behavior, and that it coincides with the culture one has grown up in, might be a view to explore further.

In terms of this thread, I think it's quite challenging to separate the influence of the Bible from existing modern Western cultures. When one compares a Western country's mode of conduct from, say, an Asian country's mode of conduct, in a variety of spheres, the differences can be fairly intriguing. And when one goes back in time, the differences become even more distinct.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

You are right Lisa, the nature of 'good manners' obviously vary with, as you say, cultural traditions playing a role.

As do social status, 'class', religious beliefs etc. What are good manners in one place can be 'anything but' in another.

For example amongst the older generation it is still not considered polite in Japan to look someone directly in the eye when speaking to them, whereas in other societies it is considered rude not to do so.

In many countries lightening the mood of a business meeting with a joke is quite normal, in Germany it is a definite "absolutely not, don't even think about it.....or your credibility is dead".

However when not discussing different specifics of manners and behavioral standards around the world, or those concerning whether we are using the correct utensil to eat or if the dinner napkin should be folded or crumpled at the end of a meal, there remains an underlying principle.

Which is treating people as you yourself would wish to be treated: with respect, courtesy, helping them to feel comfortable within a situation and without condescension, no matter who they are.

Nationality, color, status in life or simply someone who thinks differently.

Eventually extending that to include the welfare of those that share the world with us, but do not happen to be human, would also be a standard to aim for.

Although I do not necessarily agree with you that the Western culture bases all its behavioral standards on the Bible, there were simply so many other outside influences/civilizations and ways of acting and reacting 'back in the day', still followed and from before Christianity reached Europe, there is an old Biblical fundament, although it is also followed by other faiths: "do as you would be done by."

I think despite our cultural difference that is a 'bench mark' for behavior for anyone.

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Dear Francine -

Oh absolutely I agree that Western cultures aren't 100% Biblically driven. There are all sorts of other influences that poke in there. Still, I think the Bible has a heavy hand in many areas of these cultures. Just look at the English Reformation and the massive impact it had on England. Look at how the Huguenots were driven out of France, then returned, then got driven out again. Martin Luther had a substantial impact on Germany. Now imagine that when Christ was around that he was thought of as "just another loony prophet" and no Bibles were written after his death. Imagine how differently the histories of all those countries - and the evolutions of their cultures - would have been.

I would gently disagree that, for example, treating others with respect, is a foundation of every culture. I understand that for some cultures it seems an absolute given that this is true. Still, for many cultures, caste systems are an absolute given. A person treats others based on their caste. They show zero respect for people of the lowest caste. They show enormous respect for those of a higher caste. So treating someone without condescension isn't a global cultural standard. For a number of cultures, it all depends on someone's parents.

This can happen in insidious ways that we don't consider. I think that people in countries with royalty often still treat those royals with more respect merely because of the caste they were born in. Their mere fact of birth caste influences how people perceive them.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Unfortunately you are right, automatically treating others with respect, equality etc. etc., although an ideal foundation for any culture, is not something which is universally followed. And we cannot single out any culture or country here, it is simply not a 'set in stone' norm.

Which is why I said it was a 'benchmark', something to aim for, not that it was a foundation actually in place and working.

Don't know if you have been kept up with the happenings in Tahrir Square, Egypt a few days ago, but what some women have suffered there is unbelievable in today's world. And many of the perpetrators will be followers of one religion or another which certainly would not condone their behavior. Won't go into details, but it has been shocking.

An aside to the "Royalty" factor, the aristocracy as such was banned many years ago in Germany, nevertheless it is 'alive and kicking'. At my youngest son's 'International School' there were princesses, princes, counts, countesses, barons and baronesses etc. It was funny at times. Not international children at all, in fact they rarely mixed with international pupils but kept to their own clique, however their parents obviously did not want them to go to a German school.

But of course something like this can happen virtually everywhere, whether the people have titles or not.

Doubt many of the Kennedy family would have amounted to much if they had been brought up on the streets of Boston, the same can be said for members of some royal families, children of business magnates, press barons, film stars etc.

It isn't a perfect world, and we are not perfect either, but all we as individuals can do is try and keep to the rules we set for ourselves, which includes I imagine "do as you would be done by."

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.