logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
OP Offline
A
ALTER2EGO -to- EVERYONE: According to the Trinity Doctrine, God is split up into three individual persons that are combined into one GODHEAD (Father, Son, and holy ghost/holy spirit). All three of these persons are said to be CO-EQUAL (meaning they have the same power) and CO-ETERNAL (meaning they have always existed at the same time and none of them can die). QUESTIONS FOR DISCUSSION: (1) Are there scriptures in the Bible to support the teaching of Trinity? If so, present the scriptures by giving Bible book, chapter, and verse and also explain why you believe the scripture you present is talking about Trinity. (2) Why is Trinity teaching found in pagan/false religions that never worshipped the God of the Judeo-Christian Bible? For instance there were pagan trinities at least 200 years before Jesus came to the earth as a human. (3) If the Trinity is a Bible teaching, why is it that Jesus and his apostles who followed him around never taught anyone about the Trinity? (4) How is it that the Trinity teaching did not become CHRISTIAN teaching until the Christianized Romans (who later became Roman Catholics) copied it from pagan/false religions--AFTER the resurrected Jesus Christ returned to heaven? (5) Are the words TRINITY and GODHEAD in the Bible? If so, were those words part of the original writings?

Last edited by Alter2Ego; 04/20/13 05:40 PM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Alter2ego,

Thank you for posting. Before getting to answer your questions, I would like to mention to all that the Bible Basics Site and Forum do not promote controversial discussions. The Bible encourages us to stay away from vain arguments as well. However I would like to answer your questions from my experiences in knowing God as Father, Son and Holy Spirit in my life and with material collected from discussions with a learned Bible teacher. I would like to mention that I have no intention to carry on with any further arguments on this subject. Such arguments are beyond the scope of the Bible Basics Forum.

Before going forward, I would like to mention that God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit have existed much before you and I were born. They are not split up expressions of who God is as you mention in your post. Our limited human intellect can never entirely fathom the mystery of Trinity. That's because God is God with no limitations where as man is only man with a very meager understanding especially about God. Man's inability to comprehend can and will in no way change who God is. As mere mortals we say 1+1+1=3 however with God, 1+1+1=1 God! This might baffle the human mind but that does not change the truth about God.

1.There are certainly Bible passages that clearly set forth the Trinity. First in Genesis 1:26 God says, "..Let us make man in our image, in our likeness,...." Here we find that God uses the word 'us' and not 'me' clearly showing that God the Son and God the Holy Spirit were also actively at work in creation. The second reference I would like to mention is from Matthew 3:16-17 which is an account of the Baptism of Jesus. Here we clearly see Jesus, God's Son being baptized, the voice of the Father who says, "This is my Son, whom I love; with Him i am well pleased" (Vs 17) and the Holy Spirit descending on Jesus as well (Vs 16). Another Scriptural reference is from Ephesians 1:3-14. The Apostle Paul clearly sets out God the Father's plan to redeem man through the atoning sacrifice of His Son Jesus and the guarantee of this salvation through the seal of the Holy Spirit.

2.You say that there were pagan trinities much before Jesus came into the world. Here I could like to remind you of the Genesis passage which shows that God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit were at work in creation which happened even before any of these pagans or their customs were born!

3. Anyone who truly finds the God of the Bible finds God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit. That is the essence of Christianity itself. I can say this because I have experienced it myself. The disciples witnessed the baptism of Jesus and it is their account that is mentioned in the Gospel passages. The disciples became Apostles and so there is clear evidence to prove that the disciples did affirm and preach God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit. The Ephesians passage mentioned above shows how Paul even wrote and taught about the unity in the working of God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit. The main purpose for Jesus to step into the world was not to teach or preach Trinity but to lay down His life for fallen mankind so that man can be reconciled with God. This does not mean He disbelieved Trinity or disapproved of it or belittled it in any manner. He came for a purpose and He stuck to it. Jesus is One of the Persons in the Trinity and there was no need for Him to vocalize it. His life proved His position sufficiently.

4. For this question, you really must provide more material to support your view that the Trinity teaching came up only after Christ's resurrection.

5. There is no direct mention of the words Trinity or Godhead in the Bible. These words were coined by Bible teachers to help understand God as Father, Son and Holy Spirit with ease. It is more of a common term to help explain rather than a special word pulled out of Scripture.

I hope these answers have helped you. It is my hope that at the Bible Basics Site and Forum we always only explore the truth of God's word and nothing more.

Preena Deepak
Bible Basics Editor
A
OP Offline
A
[quote=Preena Bible Basics]Alter2ego, I would like to mention that I have no intention to carry on with any further arguments on this subject. Such arguments are beyond the scope of the Bible Basics Forum.[/quote] ALTER2EGO -to- PREENA BIBLE BASICS: I find it surprising that you feel the Trinity dogma should not be discussed in a forum dealing with the Bible, particularly since "Trinity" is the central doctrine of most of the 41,000 or so denominations within Christendom. FYI: I directed my opening post to everyone, meaning it was not directed at you or anyone in particular. The intent is to discuss the topic with all who are willing. But since you are now telling me that this topic is not to be discussed here, please tell me which forum is the appropriate one for a discussion of this topic, and I will start up another thread on this topic elsewhere.

J
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
J
Dear Alter2Ego,
If you want the history of the Trinity it may be better explained to your satisfaction here: www.newadvent.org/cathen/15047a.htm

It should answer any and all questions and comparisons you might need to satisfactorily find peace with the Trinity teaching.

I hope this helps you.

BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Alter2Ego,

When I first replied to your post I researched to find answers to each of the questions you raised. I mentioned that it was futile to engage in controversial arguments which the Bible Basics forum or Site do not believe in. I never discredited Trinity in any manner, nor did I mention that this teaching was of little use to Christians. You seem to have read just the first few lines without even looking at the answers to each of your questions. That itself makes me wonder if you are really keen on exploring the answers or not. Whether you direct posts to readers or to me makes no difference since the Bible instructs us not to engage in vain arguments and as the moderator of the Bible Basics forum, I firmly affirm to that view. The word I used was argument and not discussion. The Forum is open for discussions and not for arguments. I hope that settles issues and I hope you take time to read the answers in the previous post as it directly deals with all questions you came up with. I am sure that you might find theological forums elsewhere in case you wish to engage in defensive arguments to support your views on Trinity.

Preena Deepak
Bible Basics Editor

Moderated by  Sunnie - Bible Basics 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.