Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
My daughter is interested in teaching herself German. We have found some great resources for this - including the free lessons that the German government has put at dw.de
How can I make sure she covers all the bases of a traditional middle or high school language class? How can we generate proof of her learning, that we could show to a high school or college?

Lisa Linnell-Olsen
Knitting Website
Knitting Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

DW.de is great, easy to follow and comprehensive, but the Goethe-Institut is the leading institute for anyone interested in learning German, and it offers the possibility of taking an exam or recognized proof of knowledge. There are centers throughout the USA Goethe Institute USA, and the centers examinations are accepted by colleges in the USA and world wide, as well as by employers.

It doesn't matter how you learned the language really, whatever suits you best, but Goethe's is the viable examination.

Goethe's learning system is effective and proven, and lessons are also online. Their home page is worth checking out Goethe Home Page, and it is also a good idea to contact them personally with any queries. They are really helpful.

The JabbaGerman Lab is a fun learning possibility, and anyone taking advantage of it can progress quickly to being able to actually communicate. It also works through Facebook and Twitter, and really is thorough. Any necessary 'paper' exams, or proof of competency would still be taken through Goethe to be universally accepted though. A fun site: JabbaGerman Lab

Hope this helps a bit, and good luck to your daughter, or as we say Toi, Toi, Toi. cool

Francine A. McKenna - German Culture Editor

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
I had heard of the Goethe Institut before, but didn't really get what it was until I checked out their site with this link. I think we are definitely set to go with free material for quite awhile, and I have some better ideas of where to go if we decide to purchase anything. Thanx, Francine!

Lisa Linnell-Olsen
Knitting Website
Knitting Forum
A
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
A
Thanks for the wonderful input Francine! smile

AlissaMoy
BellaOnline
A
Parakeet
Parakeet
A
Alissa, a great way to learn German is a resource that comes from segments of 15 minute video clips made by two people from Berlin by the name of Jakob and Adele. It is an older couple that speak slowly, distinctly and clearly and about a lot of fun topics. A basic understand of very simple beginners German is a prerequisite but even if brand new to the language these clips are really effective.

Francine may know about these videos also as Jacob and Adele were very much a part of Germanys television years ago. You can sample video trailers of them on Youtube also.

It is a fun and beautiful language!! Good luck to your daughter!! dave

Last edited by ancientflaxman; 04/22/13 12:06 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.