#817051 04/17/13 05:11 PM
L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
Thank you, Lisa, for allowing me to post my food journal here. I proceed with a certain amount of trepidation because I usually backslide a lot with my good eating intentions, and I didn't want to scare off anyone to see what can go down my gullet. laugh

But having to be accountable has proven to be the secret to success for most weight loss organizations. You know, the weekly weigh-in. Since I don't have that here, and weight loss itself is not my sole focus, I'd like to begin posting what I eat in this very public forum. {{{deep breath}}}

My success with my exercise journal has encouraged me greatly.

I recognize that everyone has his or her own personality that is suited better for one food and exercise style. I'll never be the type of person to train hard in a gym but when I decide to exercise that is precisely what I attempt to do only to give up a few weeks later. I realize that I have to do what works for me.

As for exercise, I'm starting with a daily walk so my goal is to just get out the door every day. Once I do, I tend to walk anywhere from one to three and a half miles. If I thought about it before I got out the door, I'd feel discouraged. So my only thought is: Get out the door.

I plan to do the same here. Focus on one food-related improvement. My daughter and I decided that this is it for now:

Make better choices.

That's it. I am refraining from doing my usual "We're all going to be vegans forever" goal because three days later, I crave a hamburger or a steak. I would like to become a vegetarian but I see that baby steps are the way to go for me. So I am focusing on making better choices. Not perfect choices, not the best choices either. Just better than my past choices.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
April 17:
Breakfast-V8 (6 oz) and Activa lite strawberry (4 oz.)
Lunch-Fresh cucumber salad (shirazi), tabbouleh (parsley salad) with grilled fish, a bite of grilled chicken, tomato, hummus and 1/2 pita.
Dinner-Vegetable curry with fresh avocado salad - no rice!

The better choices today: This breakfast was better than bacon, eggs and toast. The lunch was a way better choice than our favorite Mexican lunch of shredded beef taco, rice, beans, cheese enchilada and too many chips and salad! And the better dinner choice was to skip on the rice.

And, I was given a Ghiradelli chocolate caramel square and I saved it for my hubby instead of eating it. smile

BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Lori -

It sounds like you have great goals in place! It's so true that gigantic goals can seem too challenging and then never get done. Focus on those small steps. Celebrate the small victories.

Your menu today sounds absolutely delicious, and healthy too! Well done! What an amazing start smile.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
T
Parakeet
Parakeet
T
Lori, what a refreshing idea--just make better choices. We can apply that in so many ways. I'm so tired of counting calories, portions, carbs, etc. I think I'm going to borrow your idea.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
You guys are so terrific! Thanks for your support! It means the world to me and I know that I can do this, especially with your watchful, encouraging eyes!

Another better choice today: I almost ate some potato chips for a snack but I reached for the peanuts instead. Just a few because they were in the shell and I was lazy. haha.

See how this works:

Perfect choice: Drink water or hot herb tea.
Best snack choice: Veggie sticks, kale chips, etc.
Better snack choice: Low-fat yogurt, fresh fruit
Good snack choice: Nuts, cheese, hard-boiled egg

Usual snack choice: Chips, ice cream, sandwich

I'm moving up the list! laugh

Lori Phillips
Dreams editor

Bellaonline.com Dreams site
The Dream Collective
Dreams: What are you trying to tell yourself?
Twitter: @tweetdreams4u
and @flutterby03

Marriage editor
Bellaonline Marriage site
Twitter: @BellaMarriage
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Lori -

In terms of perfect choice, I would hesitate to say just water is good. If you really do need a snack, you want to give your body a bit of nutrition. Your body needs nutrition to survive. So I'd count thirst and hunger in two different areas.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
You're right, Lisa, except for an eater like me, hunger isn't always the reason why I eat. Sometimes, I am thirsty. Sometimes, I just want something to do with my mouth. Or to taste something. Crunch something.

Lori Phillips
Dreams editor

The Dream Collective
and @flutterby03

Marriage editor
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
April 18:
Breakfast-Coffee with half and half and Splenda. Had to run out to take my aunt to an emergency dental appointment so no breakfast.
Lunch-Korean spicy tofu soup (1/2), sashimi salad (1/2), edamame, green tea, 1 Tbsp. ice cream.
Snack(s)-Fresh whole apple, green tea, one square sugar-free dark chocolate.
Dinner-taco bar but will eat only veggies, cheese and salsa and no shell or meat. Well, I might eat meat if it's chicken.

Better choices today: NOT getting a doughnut for my coffee. NOT getting my usual fried tempura and beef combo when my aunt and I went to lunch. NOT eating all of the free dessert. NOT grabbing a crunchy, salty snack. Going to a birthday dinner tonight and plan to eat just two bites of cake. smile I'll update to see if I follow-through with my plans.

But I have to tell you that this journal is already helping me. If not for having to post here, I would have made very different choices today! But one right choice seems to empower me and making the next right choice becomes easier. My daughter agrees!

Lori Phillips
Dreams editor

The Dream Collective
and @flutterby03

Marriage editor
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Lori -

Oh absolutely it's important to make sure you really want to eat because you're hungry. It's easy to confuse thirst for hunger, or to auto-eat. Those are all good things to check for!

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Lori -

That's wonderful about all the healthy choices you're making! Well done!

Low Carb Forum
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12

Moderated by  Lisa LowCarb 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.