Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
I've been enjoying my BOL forum journal in the Exercise forum so I decided to start a journal for my container gardening efforts. I'd love to get feedback from Lestie, readers and lurkers!

I'm thinking of pulling out specific entries with pics to make my own coffee table type book.

Anyway, thank you to Lestie for the inspiration to container garden.

Today is April 9: After posting in the container garden forum, I decided to resurrect my containers. Right now, they hold plumeria canes along with either allysum or impatiens to fill in the pot. I'll need to replant some allysum. The impatiens managed to endure my neglect.

I'm happy to note that I still have a few containers waiting to be filled. Just a matter of choosing the type of plants. Fun. smile

To my husband's chagrin (he is such an orderly, sleek-lined, contemporary type of person), I want to grow a whimsical garden with interesting types of containers. I'm going to keep my eye out for some at local garage sales.

Thank you again, Lestie, for allowing me to post in your forums. My personal life is unpredictable and filled with family demands. These BOL forums really keep me in a calm, joyful state. I can pop in and out during the nooks and crannies of my time, and I'm often in front of the computer to write.

Lori Phillips
Dreams editor

Bellaonline.com Dreams site
The Dream Collective
Dreams: What are you trying to tell yourself?
Twitter: @tweetdreams4u
and @flutterby03

Marriage editor
Bellaonline Marriage site
Twitter: @BellaMarriage
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
I forgot all about my online container gardening journal since I have been posting my food and exercise journals. Well, here we are on May 1st, and last month was good for my containers!

April:
Mint: I added a peppermint plant to my large container with another type of mint. I forgot exactly what type of mint it is. Large, fuzzy leaves. Can anyone help identify?

Plumeria: I had removed a very old but established Hawaiian ginger flower plant from an inconvenient place in the yard and planted several stalks (what do you call them?) in about five containers. I planted either allysum (white and purple) or impatiens around the bottom to fill out the containers so they wouldn't look like I was growing sticks.

Chives, green onion and cilantro: Seeds in small containers.

Marigold: Just bought a marigold and planted it in an empty container that was sitting there for a while. Not good feng shui to have empty containers around!

Trees (lemon, orange and avocado): Not containered but thought I'd record that I gave all three trees some much-needed fertilizer this month.

The flower beds are not containers but I want to record my effort here as well. All are in bloom and they look gorgeous. The annuals from last year (petunias) could be replaced because of browning stems, but they're still giving forth some pretty flowers. I'm surprised they're still lasting.

I added some new allysum to fill in some empty spots in the front flower bed. The honeysuckle, gardenias, azaleas, geraniums and this other flower (can't recall the name for some reason) are all doing so well.

It is hard to remember to water the Japanese maple because the lawn was replaced with artificial grass to save water and I no longer have a lawn sprinkler system. Only a flower bed drip irrigation.

May:
Mint: Realized that the poor growth prior to now was due to insufficient water and too much sun. Mint likes moisture! So I am keeping it watered well and erected a shade for the harsh afternoon sun. The container is an old cement tub and I can't really move it easily.

Chives, green onion and cilantro: I saw one wisp of green trying to break the surface of the soil today.

Lori Phillips
Dreams editor

The Dream Collective
and @flutterby03

Marriage editor
A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
Great job. My garden is growing - there are five tomatoes and peas. Three of the tomatoes are in the earthbox and the other two are in regular pots. The peas are growing in a large pot and climbing on three stakes shaped like a tepee. This year I decided on planting a lot of flowers. I just have to keep a lookout for birds and squirrels.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
The greens are growing. Still young and too early to snip though!

And one worrisome development: Overwatered the mint which isn't a problem for the mint but the moisture attracted a lot of snails. Don't see them but see their evidence. They've been eating the mint! frown

Lori Phillips
Dreams editor

The Dream Collective
and @flutterby03

Marriage editor
A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
One of my tomato plants has some beautiful fruit. After the derecho came through over a week ago, the plants became a bit twisted together but they are not damaged.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Re Lori's question: "Mint: I added a peppermint plant to my large container with another type of mint. I forgot exactly what type of mint it is. Large, fuzzy leaves. Can anyone help identify?" This sounds like Grapefruit Mint. I have some of this, and it doesn't look like regular mint.

Ro Longstreet
* Wicca site and forum.
* Fun BellaOnline forum games here.
* My books on paganism starting at 0.99 cents.
C
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
C
Lori, if the snails are eating the mint, maybe it's time for escargot! Sounds like they've been prepping by eating herbs.

Connie Mistler Davidson-Editor-ADD/Sandwiches/Reading
Attention Deficit Disorder
Sandwiches
Reading
Avatar: Hope~Even when conditions are harsh, hope can bloom.

My EBook link.
Building School Success with ADD EBook Link

Moderated by  Lestie - ContainerGardens 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.