Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#815447 04/07/13 07:56 PM
G
GloriaC Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Hi everyone: Read some threads. Very interesting. I have been with my husband for 13 years already, we moved together when my son was 6 (only child, spoiled and so on). My husband loves everything in order, everything at the right time in the right place. I am somewhat more flexible, respecting some básic principles anyway. I thought I was raising a well educated kid and he is so in many ways. However, as he became a teenager he started to ask some freedom from my husband's rules claiming that he is not his father and he should not accept whatever he wants him to accept. We made some agreements on how we would behave. I suppose both of them broke the agreements some times (human beings). Trying each and every time to fix things back to "normal" (what's normal?) and now that my son is 19 it's obvious they dont get along. My son states he is only willing to say hello and good bye every day. I am fine with this as long as there's no fighting. However I do know that my husband is one that is not going to live under an standard like this and will fight back for something that sounds reasonably familiar to him because he argues I am allowing my son tu set up our standards. So far I believe my husband has gone too far in trying to set rules rather than build love and respect. He doesn't do well in what I call flexibility and then jumps into agreements I have made with my son with things he rejects. This has got to a point of no return, so we are not a family but a couple and a Young lad living under the same shelter. Not what I thought a family could be. Hints appreciated. G Mmmm by the way, my son ocassionally visits his father, someone that hasn't been really present as a father.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
GloriaC #815552 04/08/13 08:15 AM
O
O
See if you can find this book at the local library . . . it may help everyone :-) [i]Parenting 20-Something Kids: Recognizing Your Role as They Find Their Way[/i] by Martha Pope Gore

GloriaC #815566 04/08/13 08:54 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
It's tough for a young man in this situation. He is naturally craving independence. Your hubby still wants control. It becomes a pack mentality thing.

You are right to encourage your husband to build and maintain trust and respect. HE wants respect from your son but your SON wants respect from him, too. With males, it's all about respect.

As long as your husband makes this a control issue, your son will never acquiesce. No human being wants to feel controlled, being under someone else's thumb.

Rules are made to be broken. Guidelines. Courtesies. Living agreeably together because you're in a communal setting not to mention you're still a family. Those are better. There has to be reasons for rules if your son is going to cooperate. Rules that might protect him, keep him safe, okay. Rules just because your husband wants him home at a certain time, etc.? Phooey.

He'd better be able to explain his reasons for his rules, especially since your son is 19 and of legal age.

Sit down with them and encourage your husband to really listen and hear your son's desires. Treat him as the young adult he is.

Talk with your son alone. Explain that you understand that he wants, needs and deserves freedom and independence. But he needs to think like an adult. If he wants or needs to live with you still, he needs to be considerate of his stepfather's wishes, too. He's paying for that roof over his head, his meals,etc. Is what his stepfather is asking too much? He should be able to keep his own private room any way he likes but keep communal living spaces tidy--at least clean up after himself. He would have to do that if he lived in a dorm or if he rented a room somewhere.

He can always get a job and rent his own place--like an adult. Neither of you will be able to change your husband. It really is a take-it-or-leave-it situation for him. Remind him of all the wonderful things your husband did for him while he was growing up. Tell your son that if he wants respect from his stepfather, he needs to offer respect first. Who cares if he isn't his biological father? He obviously deserves more respect that the man who hasn't been there for him at all. Everyone deserves respect, especially the man who raised him and loved him.

Talk with your husband alone. Explain to him that you understand that it isn't easy living with a young male who wants to make his own rules. That your husband does have the right to set his own house rules. But let him know that a little flexibility is good for the soul. Point out your son's positives. Thank your husband for helping to raise such a fine young man.

But the time for rules is over. The time for mutual trust and respect is here. They can have a wonderful relationship if your husband will learn to treat your son like the young man he is.

Remind your husband about how he felt as a young man, wanting to be his own person without anyone telling him what to do. Remind him that young males go through these volatile periods trying to find themselves. It takes patience and space on behalf of the parents. My son went through this phase and now he is just wonderful.

You can have a wonderful new relationship within the family if both sides will remember to feel thankful towards each other and then do the small things to make each other happy. It doesn't take much to offer respect and appreciation.

Tell them not to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Focus on what they do like about each other, what they are grateful for. Good luck. smile

Lori Phillips
Dreams editor

Bellaonline.com Dreams site
The Dream Collective
Dreams: What are you trying to tell yourself?
Twitter: @tweetdreams4u
and @flutterby03

Marriage editor
Bellaonline Marriage site
Twitter: @BellaMarriage
oscarsmom #815633 04/08/13 02:14 PM
G
GloriaC Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Oscar, many thanks. Just bought it from Amazon. Will read it. Cheers, Gloria

Lori-Dreams #815634 04/08/13 02:16 PM
G
GloriaC Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Lori: Many thanks for your detailed and structured response. All that you say makes sense. Cheers, Gloria

GloriaC #815743 04/09/13 07:09 AM
O
O
[quote=GloriaC]Oscar, many thanks. Just bought it from Amazon. Will read it. Cheers, Gloria [/quote] Awesome!!!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.