Next Thread
Print Thread
#814112 03/31/13 02:10 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Days lengthen, flowers blossom and it's starting to get warmer. Even if your spring weather is late, daffodil-colored star Arcturus says it's spring. Use the Big Dipper to find Arcturus, Polaris the pole star, the constellation of Leo the lion, and a number of galaxies and nebulae.

Absolute Beginners - Spring Skies

Well, OK, it may not be balmy weather, but some places are getting clear skies. If you need to, wrap up and go and have a look. Arcturus is one of my favorite stars.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
I've just been outside and Jupiter is still spectacularly bright and near Aldebaran (in Taurus the bull) in the west.

HubbleSite's short video on what's to see this month is at Hubble Site April Sky. It's about 6 and a half minutes. Worth watching with clear narration.

But I hope you don't have to rely on the captions on the video because they are simply appalling. They look as though they're a literal translation from some other language. I turned them on because the computer I'm using is so old I can't get sound on these videos. :-(

Last edited by Mona - Astronomy; 04/01/13 02:40 PM.
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Here's a nice photograph of the spring sky, taken over Hirsau Abbey in Germany in 2009. It's taken with a fisheye lens, so the courtyard of the abbey is all around the the edge and the photo shows the whole sky. Spring sky from Hirsau Abbey.

If you run the cursor over the picture, you can see the main constellations. But I should mention that Saturn isn't going to be near Leo this April. It will be a bright object because it will be at its closest to us at the end of the month. But we'll see it between Virgo and Libra.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
I pinned a lovely picture from Astronomy Picture of the Day which shows some of the things that are mentioned in the spring skies article. Skies over Mt Rushmore This picture was actually taken during the summer, but it showed some of the star patterns so clearly, I wanted to share it.

Moderated by  Mona - Astronomy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.