logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#812724 03/22/13 04:10 PM
G
OP Offline
G
My fiancé's brother and his family are moving into our home. Currently it's just me, my fiancé, two dogs and a cat. We have four bedrooms and definitely have room for his brother, his wife, and two babies. My anxiety is through the roof because my household is no longer "my place". I need to worry about the dogs and the babies, laundry schedules, dinner schedules, showers etc... At this point it's supposed to be a temporary situation until they find a home but I don't know how long that's going to take. My fiancé said I am giving off the vibe that his brother is not welcome and I should try to be more accommodating. He doesn't understand that it's my anxiety that's making me stress!! How can I learn to adjust to this new living arrangement and make everyone feel welcome??

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
You have good reason to be anxious! Maybe you'll feel better if you sit down with the sister-in-law and work out details of cooking, cleaning, etc. It could turn into a nice thing if you only cook 3 or 4 days of the week and she's a good housekeeper.

The one time I had someone live with me (son's girlfriend), she left her clothes in the washing machine and dryer constantly. It drove me a bit nuts. Good, open communication could solve some of your anxieties in advance.

Maybe if you think of her as an adopted sister, it will help.

Alice Andersen
Horror Literature
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Part of the stress of having company for a few days or longer is the feeling we are losing our personal space. This tends to raise feelings of anxiety in even the most anxiety resistant person.

Try to make time just for yourself. This can include a long, hot bath or a walk in the neighborhood or a trip to the local coffee pub to read a book. I agree that making a written schedule can make a chaotic situation be and feel more organized.

Dr. Ilyssa Hershey
Mental Health Editor
Mental Health Site
Mental Health Facebook Page
G
OP Offline
G
Thanks doctor. I did try that but my mind keeps coming back to home, like I dread going there because of the "crowded" feeling I get. My anxiety has gotten really bad, to the point where my sleep and eating habits have been affected. I thought this was something I could handle, but I can't. I need my space in order to be relaxed. And at this point I feel like the only place I can go is my bedroom, which makes me feel closed in. I have told my boyfriend that I don't think this situation is going to work and I need them to move in with his parents.

BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
I made an additional post on the other thread.....

Dr. Ilyssa Hershey
Mental Health Editor
Mental Health Site
Mental Health Facebook Page

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.