logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
OP Offline
C
Hello all, I am a needle tatter and have been trying to figure out how to do "ENCAPSULATING" but just can't wrap my brain around it. I have hand issues so it is very difficult for me to use the typical shuttle. Can encapsulation be done with needle tatting technique? Any literature out there anyone know of?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
Hi CherylAnne,
Let's review encapsulation. One thread is concealed inside another thread by wrapping. When you wrap ds onto your tatting needle you are encapsulating the needle. So every ring or chain you made on the needle has the core thread encapsulated by the ball thread.

But the trouble is, that doesn't work in every situation for encapsulation. For example, look here at the single shuttle chain:
http://www.georgiaseitz.com/2003/ssch/ssch.html

For the shuttle tatter, we just hold onto the the bare thread and take the shuttle over and under it to encapsulate it. But you can't pull that ring at the end of the bare thread through the eye of the needle so you need to adjust your method.

It is called using the tatting needle as if it were a shuttle:
[url]http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art16421.asp[/url/

Last edited by Georgia, AK Tatter; 03/27/13 07:27 AM.

Georgia Seitz
TATTING
C
OP Offline
C
Ah Ha! I get it now, it is as I thought. I would have to use the needle like a shuttle and can't work with thread "off the ball". I cam here off a link from a tatter I found on You Tube, her Etsy site had her book on encapsulation and borders, I believe one of your photo examples is a page from that book. I was curious about the "bulking" up of the core thread. But I get it now! thanks for your links!!!

BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
Glad to help anytime. BTW the new series of needle tatting beginners lessons begins April 4. If interested please contact me at AKTATTER@aol.com

Georgia Seitz
TATTING
D
D
I'm relatively new to needle tatting and have found a lovely pattern which instructs me to 'twin p'. I've not seen the term before and was hoping someone could give me a hand.

BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
Hello Daphne,
I suspect we are dealing with a typo here, but please tell me which pattern, which book, or send me a scan.
Georgia

Georgia Seitz
TATTING
D
D
The pattern is in the Complete Book of Jiffy Needle Tatting by Selm & Ed Morin. It is for a baby coverlet and it starts out.... "Row 1: Thread JTN with 3 yards yarn for cc (piece cc as needed). Place one panel right side up. R of 3 ds, p, 3 ds, twin p, 3 ds, p, 3 ds, sson, clr." So, my problem is, I don't know what they mean by 'twin p'. Do they mean to do two picots together or one right after another? I have not seen this terminology before so, of course, I'm sitting here with my brain melting. lol

BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
Yes this was an odd one!

Row 1 is the beginning of a strip of insertion not edging. This will go between two of the crocheted panels.

So it goes like this:
R 3 - 3 - 1 - 3 - 3 clr rw
CH (worked in reverse half stitch order, called RODS) 5 dsb
now join the chain to the crocheted panel by running the needle through the 3rd stitch from the left. dnrw
CH 5 dsb rw
R 3 + (joint to last picot of previous ring) 3 - 1 - 3 - 3 clr rw

so a "twin picot" means to make two picots in a row with only 1 ds between them.

Good luck!

Georgia Seitz
TATTING
D
D
Thanks! :)

Moderated by  Georgia, AK Tatter 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.