Next Thread
Print Thread
#809490 03/04/13 10:27 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark

Thirteen states have passed Third Grade retention laws. Children who fail to learn to read well enough to do fourth grade work will repeat the third grade.

Third Grade Retention Law

What do you think?

Maeve Maddox
School Reform
Sponsored Post Advertisement
N
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
N
That there are children who goes to a higher grade without being able to read (or write or whatever else is needed for that grade) is ridiculous and crazy! Putting children in a grade that they cannot follow will not help them. These laws should of been written and passed when schools first appeared and it should be for all grades not just the third. Making kids repeat a grade when they did not pass it is not cruel but putting them in a grade that they should not be in is.

BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Nancy,
I agree whole-heartedly. I think many of our educational problems would be solved if parents and students knew that failure to master the year's material would result in retention. And again, as many times as necessary.

Actually, it's not a new idea. That's what the grade of F is supposed to be for.

Last edited by Maeve Maddox-School Ref; 03/04/13 03:29 PM.

Maeve Maddox
School Reform
N
N
After I posted my comment here I went to check my emails and I had a forward with a video of the audio of an answering machine of a school in Australia and that is seriously one of the most awesome thing I have ever heard (its 3 years old and its a shame i havent heard about it before!!)! They did that because many of their students were failing because they missed too many days of class and their parents were mad because they were failing. Did you hear that? If not go to Youtube and write in "school answering machine australia", it should be the first video (its called School Answering Machine and it was posted by marshe5), you won't regret it! I was very good at school and loved it until the bullying started. Not too long after I had to do my fourth grade all over again and years later I did not pass the third year of secondary school (here we have 6 years of primary school then 5 of secondary so that would be ninth grade). I tried doing it again in another school and the bullying continued there so I gave up that school not too long after and by the time I tried night school for adults I was so down that I did not finished it eventhough it was going well and I was not bullied. I did not start to complain about wanting to pass that grade eventhough I didn't, yes I was bullied but I also did not pass the classes so I did not deserve it! Most people want to have something they did not earned and they teach that to their kids, it's ridiculous and should not be accepted!

BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Nancy,
That's just too cool. I posted it on my Facebook page.
Thanks

Maeve Maddox
School Reform
N
N
I'm glad you liked it!

Moderated by  Maeve Maddox-School Ref 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.