Next Thread
Print Thread
#700296 07/06/11 05:53 AM
R
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
R
Be sure to go to the Cancer Site and take a look at this weeks newsletter. It is about prevention, and I list a wealth of information on the vitamins and minerals in this super-food!

Try it if you are allergic to dairy milk -

Subscribing to the newsletter is easy, you can do it right there on the site!

Rann Patterson, Editor
CANCER Website
CANCER Forum

Sponsored Post Advertisement
E
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
E
Anything that is healthier than drinking another species breastmilk sounds good to me. Soy is a great option for those wishing to avoid dairy. Most of my family is mildly allergic to soy so almond milk has become a staple at my home.

R
R
Soy milk is one of the most common and nutritious dairy alternatives. Many people drink soy milk for the added health benefits. Benefits of Soy Milk 1. Soy milk contains only vegetables proteins 2. Soy milk contains no lactose 3. Fewer people are allergic to soy milk 4. Soy milk reduces cholesterol 5. Soy milk contains no hormones 6. Soy milk does not cause insulin dependent diabetes 7. Soy milk is rich in isoflavones

S
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
S
What about the high estrogen levels?? Recent studies have shown that soy milk has been linked to early onset puberty in some young girls & it is also contra-indicated for boys & men.

Last edited by Sadhana - Indian Food; 02/28/13 05:36 AM.

SADHANA GINDE, Indian Food Editor

BellaOnline Training Manager, BellaOnline Forum Admin, BellaOnine FB Admin :-)

Indian Food Website

Dont forget to sign up for the Indian Food Newsletter!
R
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
R
Hi Sadhana:
I'll give you a Pro and a Con on this.
1. Soy estrogen (produced from non-GMO soybeans) is "phyto-estrogen" meaning plant-based, or natural. Soy actually saved me during menopause. Because I have chronic lymphedema in both legs (slow lymph flow) + cervical cancer past, I opted not to take drugs containing estrogen derived from horse placentas, for instance. Yuk!

Anything plant-based has lower side-effects, not more.

Con:
That said, women (or men) who have *breast cancer, or are at *higher risk*(genetic) for it, should AVOID Soy milk, in my opinion. Almond or some other may be a better choice. But as you said, watch estrogen level if concerned. Otherwise, Soy milk (non-GMO) is an excellent product.

From my research this year, I am convinced that we are at a much higher risk of disease from some of our food supply, especially here in the USA where over 80% of our food & seed has been Genetically-Modified for past 30 years. This includes wheat, corn, and dairy. I personally believe chickens treated with hormones (for faster production) are a much more valid reason for early onset of puberty, and possibly the massive increase in breast cancer. However, this is just my personal observation.

Here's a site I believe you will like. The person who tweets for them posts compelling articles about how our food supply is being manipulated by Monsanto, now big banks and pharma. (I think SOR are Indian, coincidentally-not sure though. Their website is www.SeattleOrganicRestaurants.com
Their Twitter handle is: @OrganicLiveFood.

Thanks for your comment, it was a good question. I hope this helps.
Rann

Rann Patterson, Editor
CANCER Website
CANCER Forum

R
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
R
Hi!
I agree with all except #5. Non-GMO Soy has plant-based estrogen, which IS a hormone; and when ingested, mimics the body's response to its own production of estrogen, causing "hyper" response systemically.

If a person, male or female, is experiencing breast cancer, or having reproductive problems, they most def need to STAY AWAY from Soy milk.

Otherwise, I, like you, believe non-GMO Soy milk to be very beneficial to anyone.
(My response to Sadhana, will help explain a little more).

Thank you for your comment!
Rann

Rann Patterson, Editor
CANCER Website
CANCER Forum

S
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
S
Agreed -- as a cancer researcher & scientist, I am already very very familiar with GMOs & Monsanto!

I am not even going to get into the hormones, preservatives & chemicals found in most of our food supply here but soy is basically found in almost everything. If you read the nutrition labels of most food products very carefully you will usually see "soy protein" or "soy derivatives". This is especially true in "high protein" based vegetarian foods such as energy bars, Gardenburgers, Boca Burgers..... they are mainly soy based. So basically, many processed food products available already contain moderate amounts of soy as a "filler".

My point being, watch your soy intake -- everything in moderation & balance. Familiarize yourself & be able to read nutrition labels on the food products you buy. This is very important & I can't stress it enough!

Non-GMO soy milk is definitely a great option for cancer free, menopausal women. For this segment of the population, I highly recommend it but for others -- be aware that too much overall soy intake is contraindicated. If you don't carefully read the labels of the food products you buy -- you are probably already ingesting more soy than you know (even if you don't drink soy milk directly!)

Non-GMO almond & rice milk are also good substitutes for those who can't tolerate dairy or wish to watch their soy intake.

Last edited by Sadhana - Indian Food; 03/01/13 01:56 AM.

SADHANA GINDE, Indian Food Editor

BellaOnline Training Manager, BellaOnline Forum Admin, BellaOnine FB Admin :-)

Indian Food Website

Dont forget to sign up for the Indian Food Newsletter!
R
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
R
Hi Sadhana!
Agree 100%. I'm a label reader- very important point you made about soy proteins and soy by-products being put into many processed foods. I am sure the "build-up" is happening in our bodies without us realizing it. For so long soy seemed like a safe bet in the natural category- but not anymore. We must keep watchful.

Thanks for your valuable post. Would you mind if I used it in my newsletter? Your point is well-taken and is a necessary and wise warning about label reading and moderation about soy.

Thank you!
Rann

Rann Patterson, Editor
CANCER Website
CANCER Forum

R
R
Hello, Soy milk is made by processing soy beans, and it contains all eight of the essential amino acids, so it’s high in complete proteins.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.