logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#798904 01/03/13 07:36 AM
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
The delightful spirit of the pet finch and the enormous satisfaction of their song make them an exceptional pet for close living conditions such as an apartment or a mobile home court.

Learn about finches and their care.

Finches - Finch Care

Do you have a finch as a pet? What do you enjoy most about your finch or finches?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
M
M
Oh, here we are again. Please see the favorite bird thread that predated this question. Here is an update on our finch population. The last of Winston's sons crossed over the Rainbow Bridge about six weeks ago (Winston, Jr.) I knew it when I walked down the stairs into my study when I heard an out of tune squawk (of his partner, Julianne). He was ten years old. Junior had taught his Dad's songs to the two other, younger zebra finches in our three-cage setup. But now the old fellow was gone, and his mate was chirping off-key. Back to the finch breeder I go and examined the five zebra males available. The closest to a Silverback I saw was a light colored fellow that seemed energetic. As I was getting ready to put him in the cage, the female (that was Junior's mate) escaped and flew around the study. So, I put the new finch in the cage by himself. Well, he looked around and saw a pair of finches (boy and girl) to his right and left, and realized he was alone. So he began a machine-gun-Kelly rat-a-tat-a-tat set of chirps, as if in protest. He kept that up all night. The female (Julianne) was still flying aorund the study. I set up a 4th cage with an open door and food and water inside. The next morning, as is my custom, I crept into the study at daybreak to find Julianne in the cage with the food and water, and closed the door. Machine-Gun-Kelly was still squaking staccato chirps. So, I caught Julianne and placed her in the cage with Machine-Gun-Kelly, and he immediatly burst into song! His own song, quite diffwerent from Winston's. It is a beautiful, new song. One of the other male finches (who memorized Winston's song) (Harry) has also memorized the rat-a-tat-tat machine gun chirps (sigh!). As I have remarked on the earlier thread, the finches (three pairs kept in three cages) get to free range around my study once each three days. Each morning they are back in their cages. Best wishes, Z. G. Standing Bear

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.