Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
behealthy, StargazerUK, Bruceox1962, Kelly Z, Arca Decks
56567 Registered Users
Forum Stats
56567 Members
417 Forums
111445 Topics
786019 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 11:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
Beetlemess 229
Nancy Roussy 172
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 138
Rosie 66 127
loongdragon 120
James Andrew 99
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 88
Jilly 58
Susan - Meditation Editor 54
Allyson - USACook/HomeCook 53
Ad Income Supports Charity
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#807265 - 02/21/13 03:47 PM Buddhist Jataka Tales - Morality Stories
Lisa - Buddhism Offline

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
The latest article at the BellaOnline Buddhism site is:

The Jataka Tales - Buddhist Morality Fables

I love fables and folktales from all different cultures and the stories of the Jataka Tales are amongst the oldest Buddhist writings. They are presented as past lives of the Buddha, and feature both animal and human lives. They teach different Buddhist morals and ethics, and are often taught to children.

Add Buddhist Jataka Tales - Morality Stories to Twitter Add Buddhist Jataka Tales - Morality Stories to Facebook Add Buddhist Jataka Tales - Morality Stories to MySpace Add Buddhist Jataka Tales - Morality Stories to Del.icio.us Digg Buddhist Jataka Tales - Morality Stories Add Buddhist Jataka Tales - Morality Stories to Yahoo My Web Add Buddhist Jataka Tales - Morality Stories to Google Bookmarks Add Buddhist Jataka Tales - Morality Stories to Stumbleupon Add Buddhist Jataka Tales - Morality Stories to Reddit
#807671 - 02/24/13 03:54 PM Re: Buddhist Jataka Tales - Morality Stories [Re: Lisa - Buddhism]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

Loc: Mont Tremblant,quebec Can
Dear Lisa,
To most people who are not Buddhists,morality is a word relatind to good and bad
even sins.
Not so in Buddhism,morality is individual,has only consequence the karma ,attached to the act.,
There are 5 sins in Buddhism
Killing a Buddha
Killing an Arahant
Killing one,s father
Killing one,mother
Killing one,s sibblings.
There is however no penalty,Except the heavy bad karma it carries.

Loong the learner

Add Re: Buddhist Jataka Tales - Morality Stories to Twitter Add Re: Buddhist Jataka Tales - Morality Stories to Facebook Add Re: Buddhist Jataka Tales - Morality Stories to MySpace Add Re: Buddhist Jataka Tales - Morality Stories to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Buddhist Jataka Tales - Morality Stories Add Re: Buddhist Jataka Tales - Morality Stories to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Buddhist Jataka Tales - Morality Stories to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Buddhist Jataka Tales - Morality Stories to Stumbleupon Add Re: Buddhist Jataka Tales - Morality Stories to Reddit
#807816 - 02/25/13 11:33 AM Re: Buddhist Jataka Tales - Morality Stories [Re: Lisa - Buddhism]
Lisa - Buddhism Offline

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

I have not specifically come across this list of 5 before, where did you find it?

There are 'levels' to Buddhist teachings, just as in other religious writings. The Jataka Tales are pretty moralistic in the traditional sense. The bad guys are usually punished in some way and the good guys are rewarded. It's usually a karmic punishment or reward, but the end result is very similar to fables and folktales from other religions. I think it's because they are often used with children or beginning practitioners.

You might be surprised at how Buddhism is practiced as a formal religion in some countries. In those forums it is very moralistic, and sometimes it even sounds like they talk in terms of a kind of heaven and hell. This is not my favorite kind of Buddhism, but on a world level, it is probably the most widespread.

Add Re: Buddhist Jataka Tales - Morality Stories to Twitter Add Re: Buddhist Jataka Tales - Morality Stories to Facebook Add Re: Buddhist Jataka Tales - Morality Stories to MySpace Add Re: Buddhist Jataka Tales - Morality Stories to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Buddhist Jataka Tales - Morality Stories Add Re: Buddhist Jataka Tales - Morality Stories to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Buddhist Jataka Tales - Morality Stories to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Buddhist Jataka Tales - Morality Stories to Stumbleupon Add Re: Buddhist Jataka Tales - Morality Stories to Reddit
#808108 - 02/26/13 08:06 PM Re: Buddhist Jataka Tales - Morality Stories [Re: Lisa - Buddhism]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

Dear Lisa,

Did some more research on the 5 sins of buddhism.Found 3 places
where they are mentionned.When I wrote about the 5 sins ,I was doing it out of memory.

On the site of Religion facts /Buddhism,here is what is written

Rebirth in hell (Naraka)
patricide,matricide,killing of an arahat,the wounding of a buddha,creating a schism in a sangha.

With respect
Loong

#808223 - 02/27/13 12:19 PM Re: Buddhist Jataka Tales - Morality Stories [Re: Lisa - Buddhism]
Lisa - Buddhism Offline

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

Oh that makes sense, it is part of the teachings on what causes us to incarnate in one realm or another. It almost sounds Judeo-Christian doesn't it? That is the interesting thing as one studies religions - one realizes how many different variations there are in each one, and yet common themes are repeated.

As you know, I don't tend to relate to these moralistic teachings so much, but they are definitely out there. I just find that thinking in terms of 'reward' and 'punishment' keeps us trapped in a dualistic way of thinking. It keeps us trapped in thinking in the ego terms of 'following the rules' and getting rewarded, or 'breaking the rules' and getting punished. It is a limiting form of practice. But a starting point for many people.

#808229 - 02/27/13 12:30 PM Re: Buddhist Jataka Tales - Morality Stories [Re: Lisa - Buddhism]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

Dear lisa

Maybe ,I do not understand right,the way ,I,understand your post,is that karma,is not in your views regarding acts ,good or bad?

Loong

#808857 - 02/28/13 05:12 PM Re: Buddhist Jataka Tales - Morality Stories [Re: Lisa - Buddhism]
Lisa - Buddhism Offline

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

I only mean that in Buddhism, enlightenment is not a reward for good behavior, in the way that heaven is presented as a kind of reward for good behavior in Christianity. The same with the hell realms or lower incarnations - it isn't meant to be a judgment or punishment. Teachings on karma are really that all states have momentum, that is what karma is. If you fall into a low enough state to commit a terrible act such as murder, there is an 'effect' of that in the world and your own awareness that will pull you even lower, UNLESS you engage in true practice and are able to realize the four Noble truths for yourself.

It might seem like a subtle difference, but I think it is very important. Really the essence of practice. We are not practicing to be rewarded by a higher power, and we don't abstain from destructive behavior out of a fear of punishment. We practice to realize the truth of our beings. When we do, and once we can live from that realization, we will not be caught in a state in which we could do such destructive acts. And we do not have to force ourselves to be kind of compassionate, we simply are.

So I don't mean that acts aren't 'good' or 'bad'. I just mean that judging them so is not what practice is about. And meeting external guides for behavior isn't what practice is about either. For beginners, this is useful guidance, but it isn't the essence of practice.

#808878 - 02/28/13 07:38 PM Re: Buddhist Jataka Tales - Morality Stories [Re: Lisa - Buddhism]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

DearLisa,

I know about Karma,I know about enlightenment ,they are the result of cause and effect,and enlightenment is not paradise like the chistian have.
loong

#809592 - 03/04/13 11:54 PM Re: Buddhist Jataka Tales - Morality Stories [Re: Lisa - Buddhism]
Lisa - Buddhism Offline

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

Yes, I know you know all this. But I think emotionally sometimes we still relate to our practice this way, out of habit. By 'we' I mean almost everyone. There is still some part of us that is focused on 'getting it right', or on 'being good'. It is difficult to break the emotional pattern of subconsciously trying to please an external authority figure or 'God'. Even when intellectually we think we are beyond that. The patterns of self-judgement run very deep, and we are conditioned as children to try and please our parents, our teachers, our authority figures, and 'God'.

So that is what I meant - that true practice moves beyond these patterns of judging ourselves as 'good' or 'bad', 'worthy' or 'unworthy'. We simply are, and we deal with whatever arises in our mind, in our being. This is what I mean by practice not being about morality.

Edited by Lisa - Buddhism (03/04/13 11:58 PM)

#809837 - 03/05/13 07:12 PM Re: Buddhist Jataka Tales - Morality Stories [Re: Lisa - Buddhism]
loongdragon Offline
Koala

To Lisa,
Boy you're good.Right on the button.
Looking for perfection,in a human body,Past ideas ,limits, coming back.Glad you are back,

With outmost respect.
loong
Mahayana

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Lisa - Buddhism 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
Your views on Haute Couture
by Kelly Z
Women's Fashion
7 minutes 9 seconds ago
What did you eat from the garden today?
by Jilly
Frugal Living
Today at 09:01 PM
What did you donate or recycle today?
by Jilly
Frugal Living
Today at 08:48 PM
Spiritual Practice and Our Brain
by Lisa - Buddhism
Buddhism
Today at 08:45 PM
Dealing with Busy and Drowsy Mind in Meditation
by Lisa - Buddhism
Buddhism
Today at 08:42 PM
Mindfulness and Meditation in Plain English
by Lisa - Buddhism
Buddhism
Today at 08:39 PM
Inspiration from the Buddha's Life
by Lisa - Buddhism
Buddhism
Today at 08:21 PM
Seniors should get to know their bankers
by Pam - Senior Issues
Senior Issues
Today at 06:33 PM
Rebuilding Your Social Life
by Pam - Senior Issues
Senior Issues
Today at 04:53 PM
What exercise did you do today?
by Nancy Roussy
Exercise
Today at 04:37 PM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
3 registered (Izeigo, swearbear, Kelly Z), 81 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.