Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
bcdefg870695, madhvi, daves101, debbiebbb, Anne_0921
56593 Registered Users
Forum Stats
56594 Members
417 Forums
111508 Topics
786406 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 11:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
Beetlemess 274
Nancy Roussy 173
Rosie 66 154
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 135
loongdragon 109
James Andrew 108
Lestie4containergardens 73
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 63
Jilly 57
Susan - Meditation Editor 53
Ad Income Supports Charity
Topic Options
#505615 - 03/26/09 06:45 PM Resumes
MRS P Offline

With 1000s of resumes coming in to fill one job, how do you make your resume pop out??? I'm thinking I need to be more creative.

The Gifted and Talented Society
http://www.giftedandtalentedsociety.com/

Add Resumes to Twitter Add Resumes to Facebook Add Resumes to MySpace Add Resumes to Del.icio.us Digg Resumes Add Resumes to Yahoo My Web Add Resumes to Google Bookmarks Add Resumes to Stumbleupon Add Resumes to Reddit
#505670 - 03/26/09 08:33 PM Re: Resumes [Re: MRS P]
Dianne W - Editor Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant

Loc: Virginia
Hi Mrs. P
Thank you so much for joining our forum. One of the interesting suggestions that I read recently was in regards to resumes and it's true. We've moved into almost a totally electronic age. Something that we have to remember or many people don't know is that when you submit a pretty resume electronically is that it's no longer "pretty" when it gets to the other end. As a matter of fact, with the software we use here, for a while the entire resume was coming out in one big paragraph which made it a beast to try to decipher. So the suggestion was to make it CLEAR not pretty. Speak to the language in the job posting. Of course we don't want to make anything up but the more you "speak" the companies language the better. I hate to use the term here but here goes "buzz" words.
For example if its a payroll job and with your previous employer you did hr and payroll. Play up the payroll part, definitely use the hr piece too (you'll look well rounded), but put an emphasis on what payroll systems you used...any thing that speaks to going above and beyond in payroll. Talk about any training you've taken to enhance your job knowledge. Visit O'net. That site will definitely help a lot.
Make sure that SOMETHING in your resume shows related experience. I had cashier at Taco Bell with no education (nothing against taco bell - just an real life example), apply for a job requiring a master's degree.
But the hiring decision is hard these days, it's an employers market right now.

Career Training Site
Job Search Site

Do you want to talk to the man in charge or the woman who knows what's going on?

Add Re: Resumes to Twitter Add Re: Resumes to Facebook Add Re: Resumes to MySpace Add Re: Resumes to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Resumes Add Re: Resumes to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Resumes to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Resumes to Stumbleupon Add Re: Resumes to Reddit
#505700 - 03/26/09 10:09 PM Re: Resumes [Re: Dianne W - Editor]
MRS P Offline

I know what your talking about. My old neighbor used to be in HR, and she told me, when there are a lot of applicants they would scrutinize for any misspelling or something not lining up. If she would find any of these the resume would go into the circular file. She said. "If people didn't take the time to make sure their resume was perfect. I didn't want them."(ouch)

I can't help but feel that the people in HR are only keeping the first 50 applicants and tossing the rest. So, I was trying to think of a way to visually make my resume stand out of the crowd.

The Gifted and Talented Society
http://www.giftedandtalentedsociety.com/

Add Re: Resumes to Twitter Add Re: Resumes to Facebook Add Re: Resumes to MySpace Add Re: Resumes to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Resumes Add Re: Resumes to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Resumes to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Resumes to Stumbleupon Add Re: Resumes to Reddit
#506496 - 03/29/09 02:47 AM Re: Resumes [Re: MRS P]
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant

I've heard from many recruiters that there are SO MANY resumes being submitted for each job. They definitely weed out the messy ones. A messy resume is definitely an indication of how well you may do on the job especially if it's a job that requires attention to detail.

Career Training Site
Job Search Site

Do you want to talk to the man in charge or the woman who knows what's going on?

#783681 - 09/23/12 02:33 AM Re: Resumes [Re: MRS P]
Angela J. Shirley Offline
Tiger

Hi Everyone:

The above post is from the COLD FILES.

It may help someone today or have additional comments.

Enjoy smile

Career Aptitude Test
Career Change
Career Coaching Training
Career Counseling

#797432 - 12/22/12 09:02 PM Re: Resumes [Re: MRS P]
GtownmaGenealogy Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Loc: Germantown, TN
Research the job description on various sites such as Monster, Indeed, etc. Then write down those key words you see pop up. Then, look at your resume and make sure those key words are in there. That is what they look for.

So, I've been told... Good Luck.

Tina Sansone
Ebook Manager
GENEALOGY Editor

#797433 - 12/22/12 09:11 PM Re: Resumes [Re: MRS P]
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant

Tina that is absolutely true. Many organizations use an electronic "reader" to scan for those words.

A note of caution, however, applicants beware - don't just add the words/tasks because they are in the job posting, make sure you actually have the know how.

I've seen applicants use keywords but have no idea what they actually mean. Train wrecks waiting to happen.

Also remember that everyone is doing the same thing by simply adding key words, don't forget to add "the numbers". How you much money you actually saved the company, the amount of the budget you were responsible for...etc...

Career Training Site
Job Search Site

#807595 - 02/23/13 03:58 PM Re: Resumes [Re: MRS P]
Jean73 Offline

Research and collect information that would be helpful on creating your own resume.. as what i have read so far you need to have a catchy heading or intro and a nice closing. Be honest on putting your information so you will not struggle on your answers when you get interview

NOTE: new users are not allowed to add urls/links to their posts!!!

Edited by Sadhana - Indian Food (02/23/13 07:18 PM)

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
Breaking Up by Ignoring Someone
by Anne_0921
Dating
Yesterday at 11:59 PM
Lisa's Daily 10pm EST / 8pm MST Meditation
by Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames
Meditation
Yesterday at 10:42 PM
What is your stress level today?
by Nancy Roussy
Stress Management
Yesterday at 09:22 PM
Salad Time
by Connie - ADD/Sandwiches
Low Carb
Yesterday at 09:12 PM
De-Tethering from the Internet
Low Carb
Yesterday at 08:50 PM
What Is The Wiccan Great Rite?
by Ro Longstreet-Wicca
Wicca
Yesterday at 07:41 PM
International Dark Sky Week - Save the Night!
by Mona - Astronomy
Astronomy
Yesterday at 07:26 PM
The Gifts of ADD
Attention Deficit Disorder
Yesterday at 07:10 PM
Against Punishment for Kids with ADD
Attention Deficit Disorder
Yesterday at 06:49 PM
Walking Off Belly Fat
by CarlaCano-Walking Editor
Walking
Yesterday at 06:18 PM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
2 registered (Izeigo, Gregory - Hiking/BP Editor), 130 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.