L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
Originally Posted By: Jilly
Lori, why is your hubby adamantly against doing cool homesteady things?

He is into techie stuff and using technology to make life easier. He thinks that I'm going backwards by doing what is already done (canning) or doing things the hard way (line drying) when there are appliances that make life more convenient. Solar cooking is so fun but he thinks I'm nuts for taking an entire day to cook a dish.

He's waiting for flying cars.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
This is definitely a fascinating thread! TY so much! :)

BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Lori, that makes sense in a tech kind of way. Dan is like that also, except that Dan is naturally frugal and always line dries his clothes (clothes also last longer that way - dryers age things quickly).

I think a return to homesteading is more of a labor of love. Sure, there might be more modern ways of doing a thing, but ultimately in what hurry are we? Our only destination is death. Homesteading helps me enjoy the ride. smile

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
I agree! But I was told that my penchant for homesteading comes from a past life as a pioneer. {shrug}

I love nature. I love being close to nature. I rue the day when our food sources come from laboratories and we live in biodomes should our earth environment become uninhabitable due to our maltreatment of it.

You're right about the clothes drying. That is why our clothes don't last very long. I will press to line or hang dry even though he removed the outdoor clothes line.

Another area where I can insist upon using the homesteading approach is gifts. Instead of buying expensive or useless gifts, I want to make gifts. But do you think people dislike homemade gifts thesedays?

Lori Phillips
Dreams editor

Bellaonline.com Dreams site
The Dream Collective
Dreams: What are you trying to tell yourself?
Twitter: @tweetdreams4u
and @flutterby03

Marriage editor
Bellaonline Marriage site
Twitter: @BellaMarriage
Tiger
Tiger
Hi Lori:

The only challenge I had with line drying when I was using it back in Columbus, Georgia - was the weather.

LOL, I remember days rushing home trying to beat a "surprise" rain shower. Yep, I did my part and made sure the weather said "sunny all day" - but I do miss this option.

As far as your question about "homemade" gifts - it depends on the people. I find myself wanting to be around "like-minded" folks. Then it is easy to figure out what to give them as gifts. Personally, I like cash = pays the bills wink

When my life returns to normal (whatever that is/lol) - cash will not be as important. But I find myself appreciating this when I get it. One less bill for me to stress out over.

Love this thread - glad you and Jilly decided to start it smile

Last edited by Angela J. Shirley; 09/27/12 03:47 AM.
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Angela, I understand about the cash. Is it better than a gift card? On one hand, I'd like the recipient to use it as she wishes but on the other hand, I'd sure like to see her use it strictly on herself on a little luxury item to boost her spirit.

So many of us women receive cash gifts and end up spending it on others. I know I do.

Lori Phillips
Dreams editor

The Dream Collective
and @flutterby03

Marriage editor
Tiger
Tiger
Hi Lori:

I have never liked "gift cards" as it restricts what I can use my "gift" for. Especially now with the recession, they have closed their doors by the time I get around to using it. Some places will refund the amount or allow you to use it with another store that they have made arrangements with.

LOL, yes - us women have a way of forgetting about "treating" ourselves. I am teaching my now 25 year old (only child) to treat herself when she has something extra. I do the same when I can. I saw my mom give up her life for us kids and we did not appreciate this at all. It is possible to be there for others and for ourselves.

Good points wink

Last edited by Angela J. Shirley; 09/27/12 11:35 PM.
L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
Ok so back to the original reason for this journal: suburban homesteading! Alas, my summer basil and all those wonderful tomato plants have been pulled out now that autumn is here.

The only homestead-y activity this week will be to make some homemade pickles. I'm torn between making dill pickles or my husband's favorite Cucumber Kim Chee pickles. Either way, I'm happy!

Something I've been wanting to make is old-fashioned fruitcake. It takes three months to meld so I should have been on it at the end of September. I held back because not only is it hard to find candied fruit at that time of year, fruitcake gets such a bad rap. Everyone I tell says, "Ew, fruitcake!" My mother made fruitcake one year and it was delicious!

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
As you might be able to tell, all of my homesteading efforts were derailed this winter. Family drama, health issues. Work.

In any case, I have recommitted myself to frugal living, homesteading and living simply...at least to the degree with which I am comfortable. Sorry, no toilet composting for me while I live in my current living situation.

My husband and I have gone over our family budget and decided to cut unnecessary costs, namely in the extra cable boxes in our home. We had six at one point. Now we are down to only two. Yay! Other cost-cutting:

1. Cable boxes (already mentioned that)
2. Unnecessary memberships (online shopping, gym) and subscriptions.
3. Cutting back on bottled water.
4. Cutting two Disneyland passes out this year (hubby and son don't go very often but I insist on making that available to my daughter who has a terminal illness.)
5. Cutting meals out.
6. Using a weekly food budget.
7. Cutting out theater movies for Date Nights (We will keep Netflix.)
8. No more late fees, bounced check charges. (Sounds like a no-brainer but we've proven to have no brains.)
9. Switching cell phone carrier for me in order to cut bill in half.
10. Being more frugal in my meal choices.

Food is the one area where we can easily downsize without any pain if I only get creative. smile

Lori Phillips
Dreams editor

The Dream Collective
and @flutterby03

Marriage editor
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Ok so this week's goal is to put up a line for drying clothes. I think I will get one that can be moved into and out of the sun.

Gas is not expensive here but I do love solar power! smile Plus, line drying will extend the life of our clothing as you said, Jilly.

My second goal for this week is not to buy drinks out. I don't really since I drink mostly water, but the guys still drink a lot of canned energy drinks or sodas they buy at 7-11. What a waste in money and health. I don't know if I can get them to stop.

Lori Phillips
Dreams editor

The Dream Collective
and @flutterby03

Marriage editor
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jilly 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.