Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
Being polite is a good thing. But too much of anything is never good. And because this is Japan we're talking about, it can be plain weird. You can't even escape from it at a Japanese movie theatre.

Baffling Japanese Politeness - At The Movies

Ching Kin Min
Japanese Culture
Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
HAHA. This article is so funny. It is so true about Japanese politeness. I have it ingrained into my character that being rude to others is the biggest sin one can commit (exaggerating a bit here).

I hear crunching of popcorn here and worry that my own crunching will be heard! I always turn off my cell phone and only whisper into my companion's ear if there is something important to say. But I'm not a robot! LOL.

Once in a theater, there was group of the loudest women who screamed and talked back to the characters on the screen! "NOOOO! DON'T TURN AROUND!!!" I was so startled and didn't know how to take this. Was it funny? It was a little bit funny. But when they continued, I found it rude and disruptive to my enjoyment of the movie. Their running commentary was not mirroring thoughts I was having about the movie.

Someone else kept kicking the back of my chair. Another person was repeating the dialogue loudly to her hard-of-hearing mother (I had more compassion for that.) But then some drunk guy urinated in the corner of the theater. Seriously.

Of course, it isn't like that at all the theaters here. Thank goodness.

C
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
C
I guess when the critter crawled out of one of the character's ear during a Star Trek movie and I yelled spontaneously, "Somebody stomp on it!" would have been extremely rude!

Connie Mistler Davidson-Editor-ADD/Sandwiches/Reading
Attention Deficit Disorder
Sandwiches
Reading
Avatar: Hope~Even when conditions are harsh, hope can bloom.

My EBook link.
Building School Success with ADD EBook Link

BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
Yeah, restraint is not a bad thing, especially at the movies, but to the point where you have to rein in spontaneous reactions? Spontaneous (verbal) reactions from the audience actually help to improve the atmosphere.

Of course, expressing yourself so freely to the point where you seriously disturb other people, like the examples you've mentioned is not a good thing. That drunk guy urinating in the corner is just... *urgh*

Boy, are the Japanese in for a shock if they watch a movie at an American theatre ;p

Ching Kin Min
Japanese Culture
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
Oh yeah. And you'll very likely get silent, unfriendly stares from everyone else in the hall for good measure.

Welcome to Japan smile

Last edited by Tas - Japanese Culture; 02/22/13 08:03 AM.

Ching Kin Min
Japanese Culture
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
I hate to mention this because it sounds so socio-economically prejudiced but...that urination incident occurred in a dollar theater in LA.

Actually, the theaters here in OC are very nice and people tend to be polite and courteous.

I had my own little outburst last night when we took my son to see "The Hobbit" (his third time) and when the two dwarves greeted each other with a big bash to their foreheads, I went, "OUCH!!!" My husband laughed but I was embarrassed because it took me by surprise.

The good thing is that there were only maybe two other parties in the place.

Lori Phillips
Dreams editor

Bellaonline.com Dreams site
The Dream Collective
Dreams: What are you trying to tell yourself?
Twitter: @tweetdreams4u
and @flutterby03

Marriage editor
Bellaonline Marriage site
Twitter: @BellaMarriage
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
That's part of the movie experience, Lori smile
Perfectly natural.

Ching Kin Min
Japanese Culture

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
MyHeritage & OldNews
by Angie - 03/16/24 09:15 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/16/24 08:27 AM
Denmark's Oscar Entry "The Promised Land"
by Angela - Drama Movies - 03/15/24 08:51 PM
Stunning jewelry by Devon Leigh
by sarae - 03/15/24 12:58 PM
From Candlemas to March Equinox
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/14/24 07:35 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/14/24 07:12 PM
A Lenten Reflection
by Angie - 03/13/24 09:24 PM
Stitching by Hand
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/13/24 04:21 PM
Lucy Lawless Directs New Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 03/12/24 05:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/10/24 03:09 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.