Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Debbie Ford, spiritual teacher and author of many wonderful books, including The Dark Side of the Lightchasers and The Shadow Effect, died today of cancer at the age of 57. I loved her work, and although not a Buddhist teacher per se, so much of what she taught and represented resonated with me because of its similarities to some of my favorite Buddhist teachers, particularly her work on facing and working with our 'darker' aspects, rather than focusing only on the 'light'. She urged us to approach our more challenging emotions and thoughts in a loving way, instead of as 'bad' or as something that needs to be removed. She taught that it is important to be honest about all of our thoughts and emotions, and seek to understand them, and transmute them into expressions that are good for both us and others.
One of her favorite quotes urges us to love all aspects of ourselves, rather than thinking of our shadows as something we need to repress or excise from our being. As she says, "...for when I can love all of me, I will love all of you."
This to me is the true essence of Buddhism, especially Tantric Buddhism. It is not about 'perfecting' ourselves, judging ourselves, or trying to live up to some impossible standard of internal and external behavior. It is about truly facing and seeing all of our thoughts and emotions as they arise (this is mindfulness) and owning them all as part of us, as part of existence, as part of awareness. Moving beyond 'good' and 'bad'. Then we are truly able to feel a self-compassion that is based in oneness, and from that a compassion for others that is also based in oneness - not in desire to please others or 'be good'. It is a swelling from our heart.
Here is another one of my favorite quotes of hers:

"Each aspect within us needs understanding and compassion. If we are unwilling to give it to ourselves how can we expect the world to give it to us? As we are, so is the universe."

In her honor today, please practice facing and owning all parts of yourself with compassion. Feel free to share here if you like...

Last edited by Lisa - Buddhism; 02/19/13 08:40 AM.

Lisa Erickson, Buddhism Editor
Buddhism Site
Teaching and Private Session Website: Enlightened Energetics
Blog: Mommy Mystic
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Koala
Koala
Dear Lisa,

As I was about to post on the Tibetan........,I read your hommage to Madame FORD.

The text that follows,is in the same view ,Ibeleive.

Sometimes I think we don't want to ask any real questions,about who we are,for fear
of discovering there is some other reality than this one.What would this discovery make of how we have lived? How would our friends and colleagues react to what
We now know?What would we do with the new knowledge?With knowledge comes
responsability.Sometimes even when the cell door is flung open,the prisoner
chooses not to escape.

Loong the messenger

BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
Thank you both for your posts. Lisa, that is a lovely homage to the amazing Debbie Ford. I've been a huge fan of hers for years.

Erin Lehn Floresca
BellaOnline RV Editor
RV.BellaOnline.com

Moderated by  Lisa - Buddhism 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.