Next Thread
Print Thread
A
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
A
PRIVET!

On the morning of February 15, a meteor exploded as it crashed to earth in a town in the Ural Mountains, in central Russia. It was a scene out of a sci fi movie and many people were injured. The meteor resulted in a sonic boom as it streaked through the earth's atmosphere and destroyed windows and damaged buildings.

Is this a cosmic coincidence as today, at 2:25pm EST, the asteroid known as 1012 DA will come within 17,200 miles of the earth?

I don't think so.......

Read about it! Here is the link:

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art179650.asp

MEER -- PEACE.

Last edited by anna*AHHA*; 02/15/13 09:54 AM.

Anna - AHHA
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
I was wondering if it was related debris.

BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
Jilly, I'm wondering the same thing?! Here in The Netherlands we're not so far from Russia - I found the meteor crashing there a very scary event - and suppose it had landed on a city?!

S
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
S
The meteor strike must have been a terrifying event, and I especially feel for the people who were injured and those who suffered property damage at their home or workplaces.

Many scientists are saying the strike is unrelated to the asteroid passing close today - and I find that even more scary than if it is related.

You are so right about keeping our eyes on the skies. That's a good habit anyway - otherwise we would miss so much that is beautiful.

We had a clear-sky day and night here in the Pacific Northwest/USA yesterday and the stars and moon were so beautiful to see. We are back to gloomy grey this morning; beautiful in its own way.

The universe is a wild place.

Peace - and lots of love,

Pam

Pamela Wilson - Children with Special Needs Editor
Visit the Children with Special Needs Website
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
I just read an article about the probability of the asteroid flying by and the meteor striking the same day - 1 in 100 million. I still think the meteor was a chunk that broke off or was shot off the asteroid to keep the larger asteroid from hitting earth. Too many movies, huh, lol.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
The Russian meteor was very big. The last estimate I've seen is around 10,000 tons. Yow!

It is however, as far as I know, the first one on record to have caused significant injuries. (I researched this when I was doing an article on meteors.) The last one of comparable size was the Tunguska event in 1908. One of this size occurs, on average, about once a century.

However meteors of various sizes are falling all the time. At least 3000 kg fall annually, most of it in the form of micrometeorites and in the oceans or deserts.

But the asteroid is unrelated. 2012 DA14 was discovered almost exactly a year ago. The orbit was calculated and it was announced that it would come closest to the Earth on February 15 and that it would be closer than some geostationary satellites, but wouldn’t hit the Earth, and was unlikely to hit any of the satellites. (Planetary Society press release) And this is exactly what happened yesterday. It was coming from a different direction and on a different trajectory to the meteor which did strike the Earth.

You're right that it would be sensible to take note of all of this and step up the work of bodies who are trying to locate near Earth objects and keep track of them, as well as work out what we might do if one is discovered that is on a collision course with Earth. (BTW The Hollywood solutions would cause more damage than doing nothing at all.)

A
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
A
Hello All and thanks for your responses.

In the aftermath of the meteor, there have been reports that a thousand people have been injured from shattering glass and flying debris. It really is a fascinating event and I still somehow feel it is related to the asteroid....??!!! We will just have to wait and see what other reports surface.

Mona-- thanks for expanding on the topic.

PEACE.

Anna - AHHA
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
I'm sorry.

But, it is just too darn weird for me no matter if I look at it scientifically or spiritually.

I have been accused of being a conspiracy theorist before, but come on people !!!

Large well-funded organizations and people all over the world kicked into high gear to track Near Earth Objects after Shoemaker-Levy Proved Scientifically Without A Doubt that such violence occurs.

10,000 tons ??!!!

Last count 1,200 people injured !

1,200 people is a whole bunch of folks !!!!

Then, all of these mostly government-funded organizations and tenured professors were compelled to announce, “ Hey, we've calculated the trajectory of a huge one and it will be the closest during FEB 15 “ !

Then the terror in Russia.

Pardon my layman's terms.

But, think about it.

Somebody is hiding something.

I know that space is big, and no matter how many manned or un-manned ' eyes-in-the-sky ' we have or don't have you can't tell me that one of those gazillions of military and scientific satellites could not have detected a 10,000 ton object begin heating up as it entered the outer atmosphere.

I know they travel 4 miles a second and around 40,000 mph.

A more likely scenario would be that they made a generic announcement with an identifiable object all the while they were striving to adjust the trajectory away from a populated area.

Forget Hollywood.

1,200 people in a sparely populated area ???!!!

That's still a lot of people.

Tenure, Budgets, Reputation, Mortgages, and Legal Suits is what made them behave that way.

The announcement:

“ Hey everybody – Look Up “ !!!

Then, it actually happens – but we were talking about the real big one that's still up there !!!

Plausible deny-ability.

Insurance companies would sue entire governments out of existence if it could not be written off “as an act of God “.

Budgets would be slashed, automated systems underfunded, Tenure destroyed, University R&D Departments closed and Professors entering foreclosure.

Think I'm talking fantasy ?

Let's go back to the middle ages when the idea of rocks falling out of the sky was strictly forbidden.

All of the scholars, the governments, the priests and the ' upper echelons ' of society dismissed falling rocks as superstition.

That is, until a 12-year old boy from the peasant ' un-educated ' class actually witnessed a meteor that became a meteorite in France and actually dug it out and showed it to the non-believers !

Science is a religion, so is government, so is the military, so is Wal-Mart.

What is a religion ?

A group of people who follow a leader that agree with their vision of the future, their point of view, their world view, or their belief system.

What is a cult ?

It is the root of the word culture.

It is a group of people who venerate something.

So, a 12-year old peasant boy had to take the physical rock that fell from the sky, dig it out with the others in the village and produce the physical scientific proof to the learned upper echelons of society to break their superstitious educated belief that “ Rocks Can Never Fall From The Sky “.

A more reasonable scenario would be that the made the announcement Long After they realized that they could not steer it into the ocean.

Amazing it didn't hit any satellites... eh ?

Money.

Money is The God of This Earth.

Money is and always has been and certainly in the foreseeable future more valuable than human life, human injury, human suffering.

1,200 people ?

That's an acceptable loss.

I wonder how many high-fives were given at JPL and the ESA and the Soviet counterpart.

Yes, Soviet.

American's have bananas in their ears, and 007 was created to sell underarm deodorant.

And Henry Ford did not finance the Nazi party well into 1945.

And The Bush Family did not get their wealth from pirating opium ships.

Nor did the UK get 1/6 of its wealth in the 19th Century by decimating The Chinese population by getting them addicted to opium.

And the King of Belgium didn't abuse the rubber plantation workers in The Congo.

And there never was a congressional hearing scheduled on 9/10/2001 to audit and investigate the trillions of dollars that were lost in the military budget due to ' internal accounting errors '.

Naw !!!

Never happened.

-- Burt B.
P.S. Remember, I have papers proving my asylum treatments.
P.S.S. There never were experiments in 1943 with LSD either nor VLF Psychotronics... I don't have any tin-foil hats, but then again, I'm no longer a threat.

Cheers,

Truth is stranger than fiction. And, your true history has been taken from you that's why none of us know who and what we really are.

Take it from a wack-job smile

Last edited by Burt B.; 02/17/13 09:42 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.