Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
Manisha Pal, Rain_2014, EmmaIsherwood, fit4fashion, ashjoielee
57314 Registered Users
Forum Stats
57314 Members
417 Forums
113291 Topics
803881 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 11:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
"Rosie" 615
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 383
Jana - Creativity Editor 288
Beetlemess 286
Ro Longstreet-Wicca 80
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 61
Dorcy 58
Nancy Roussy 52
Mona - Astronomy 47
Susan - Meditation Editor 47
Ad Income Supports Charity
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#804182 - 02/03/13 09:10 AM Tee Shirt Quilt
curlytop Offline

Loc: Wherever we park it!
My sister recently asked about making a tee shirt quilt for my nephew who will be graduating from high school this spring. I've heard they're difficult and wonder if anyone has done this. His shirts are actually soccer jerseys so they aren't tee shirt material but a slicker, heavier fabric. Any ideas/suggestions greatly appreciated! Curlytop

Add Tee Shirt Quilt to Twitter Add Tee Shirt Quilt to Facebook Add Tee Shirt Quilt to MySpace Add Tee Shirt Quilt to Del.icio.us Digg Tee Shirt Quilt Add Tee Shirt Quilt to Yahoo My Web Add Tee Shirt Quilt to Google Bookmarks Add Tee Shirt Quilt to Stumbleupon Add Tee Shirt Quilt to Reddit
#804254 - 02/03/13 10:09 PM Re: Tee Shirt Quilt [Re: curlytop]
lmm Offline

Loc: Childers, Qld, Australia
I am no expert, but what I have done in the past is stablilise with iron on interfacing and then treat as other stabilised fabrics. It worked well for me in wall hangings that were quilted, from memory I did not extend the interfacing into the seam allowance in an attempt to reduce the bulk.

Add Re: Tee Shirt Quilt to Twitter Add Re: Tee Shirt Quilt to Facebook Add Re: Tee Shirt Quilt to MySpace Add Re: Tee Shirt Quilt to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Tee Shirt Quilt Add Re: Tee Shirt Quilt to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Tee Shirt Quilt to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Tee Shirt Quilt to Stumbleupon Add Re: Tee Shirt Quilt to Reddit
#804876 - 02/06/13 05:40 PM Re: Tee Shirt Quilt [Re: curlytop]
Judie Quilting Editor Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark

That's what I'd be doing too Curlytop. The fabric of tshirts is knit fabric and tends to want to stretch at the drop of a hat. It's better to stabilise it with some iron on interfacing which will hold it whilst you put it into a qult formation.

Good luck and have fun.
Cheerio for now

www.bellaonline.com/site/australia
www.bellaonline.com/site/quilting

Add Re: Tee Shirt Quilt to Twitter Add Re: Tee Shirt Quilt to Facebook Add Re: Tee Shirt Quilt to MySpace Add Re: Tee Shirt Quilt to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Tee Shirt Quilt Add Re: Tee Shirt Quilt to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Tee Shirt Quilt to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Tee Shirt Quilt to Stumbleupon Add Re: Tee Shirt Quilt to Reddit
#805087 - 02/07/13 04:47 PM Re: Tee Shirt Quilt [Re: curlytop]
curlytop Offline

Thanks for the input. I'm going to try on a couple of old tee shirts while waiting for my sister to mail my nephew's jerseys. Curlytop

#806412 - 02/16/13 10:09 PM Re: Tee Shirt Quilt [Re: curlytop]
BellaOnline Editor
Shark

Let us know how you get on Curlytop. We'll be interested to see the final result.

Cheerio for now

#812353 - 03/21/13 09:07 AM Re: Tee Shirt Quilt [Re: curlytop]
hpiner Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
Sorry, no suggestions here, but I've got two piles of t's one for my son (little league-high school baseball) and one for my daughter, (cheerleading)and am nervous about getting these started. so, I'm hoping to see an answer for you/us too! so, in advance "Thanks quilters!!" Heather PS I've already bought a whole role of interfacing and am ready to go, except for the design and the nerve!

#812507 - 03/21/13 07:25 PM Re: Tee Shirt Quilt [Re: curlytop]
curlytop Offline

A brief update...when I received the box of shirts from my sister it contained 30 shirts; 15 polyester or nylon and 15 cotton tees. I decided to use the polyester & nylon ones for the top and put my nephew's senior picture in the center. I have the top together with sashing and plan to add a 6" border. I've cut the portions I want from the cotton shirts and plan to fuse & applique them around the border. We are RV full-timers and spending the next couple of weeks slowly moving north from FL so have put my project on hold for a little bit. Will post a picture when completed. I've really enjoyed planning this project and seeing it come together and it's not been as difficult as I expected. Curlytop

#813356 - 03/27/13 12:19 AM Re: Tee Shirt Quilt [Re: curlytop]
BellaOnline Editor
Shark

How very interesting Curlytop, and I wonder how you stabilized the t.shirt fabric, or did you find it was holding it's own shape?

How about the travel you'll be doing, is it fun to stitch in an RV?

Cheerio for now

#814029 - 03/30/13 04:35 PM Re: Tee Shirt Quilt [Re: curlytop]
curlytop Offline

Hi Judie, I used Pelon craft fuse, a nonwoven fusible interfacing on the shirts. I would use something lighter in the future as it's a little stiff. I used Pelon wonder under to fuse the cotton shirt pieces to the border, which worked well. I do enjoy the full-time RV life, where I meet so many wonderful crafters. One of our winter destinations is where I learned to quilt. It's not difficult to machine piece in our 5th wheel but it's helpful to be in an RV park with a clubhouse for quilting as I can usually put several large tables together for a larger, better workspace. It's a lot of carting back & forth at times, but so far enjoyable. I so enjoy your forum, Judie, and your weekly newsletters; keep up the good work! Curlytop

#814258 - 04/01/13 08:14 AM Re: Tee Shirt Quilt [Re: curlytop]
Cosie3 Offline

Loc: Ohio
My granddaughter is a sophomore tennis player and my daughter has asked if I could do a t-shirt quilt for her for graduation. Can anyone point me to a good resource, instruction, pattern for this? I have never done one before, and I was concerned talking about interfacing and Pellon, as I don't know how stiff this should be. I am not going to start this quilt for a year and a half, but I was following this subject to see what you are doing! Thanks!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Judie Quilting Editor 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
What Are You Proud of Today?
by Rayna - Depression Editor
Depression
24 minutes 38 seconds ago
Word From Last Letter Game
by Jana - Creativity Editor
Contests & Sweepstakes
54 minutes 30 seconds ago
Replace one word (Music Titles)
Comedy Movies
55 minutes 12 seconds ago
Music ABC game
Pop Music
57 minutes 42 seconds ago
New game - Quote it
Creativity
Today at 06:03 PM
Name a Classic Toy Game
Creativity
Today at 06:00 PM
Fall Fun Word Game
by "Rosie"
Investing
Today at 04:45 PM
New game
by "Rosie"
History
Today at 04:32 PM
Loyalty OSU vs. Rutgers
by Dianne W - Editor
Football
Today at 03:50 PM
Love this site
by Dianne W - Editor
Movie Mistakes
Today at 03:46 PM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
1 registered (Rayna - Depression Editor), 86 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.