Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
With the advent of technology and the electronic way of life we lead, the question of how we engage our young folk in the art of hand made creativity arises. I was fortunate enough to have a grandmother who had the patience to show me how to crochet, knit and sew (on an old treadle which I now proudly own). Through my grandmother I have gained such a wonderful gift of making and creating which I like to pass onto others.

But with the distractions of iPads, iPods, video games and the like, how do we get the attention of our young folk, and keep them interested enough to appreciate the wonders of hands on creating?

Looking forward to your views and experiences.
Cheerio for now

Judie Bellingham
Editor Australia & Quilting Sites

www.bellaonline.com/site/australia
www.bellaonline.com/site/quilting
Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
lmm Offline
L
I think a lot of it is cyclical. At different times there is an increase in the desire of younger ones to participate in crafts of all sorts. It would be nice to have all children taught how to do some basic things, like mending, sewing on buttons etc., but some simply are not interested. I know that whilst one daughter-in-law is not even remotely interested in sewing as such, she now enjoys scrapbooking, and has discovered cross stich, and enjoys the dyeing of fabric. My other daughter-in-law (whose mother is also a quilter) has now started sewing clothing. It is like cooking, I have had numerous calls over the years from children of friends how do I make jam with this fruit, or relish. If we take the time to explain and help, and encourage where possible a grain of interest might grow, and this may be passed on to their children. I thoroughly enjoy doing all sorts of craft with my grandchildren, and they are quite content to participate when they visit or I visit them, but I think their life is so different to what mine was as a child, and it is not just the electronic distractions, it is the sport and cultural activities. Maybe we need to ensure our schools have display days where people show how these crafts are utilised within our lives. Emphasis at school seems to be on encouraging children to be sport orientated to avoid obesity. We have high depression levels within society, maybe we should encourage participation in craft activities as a means of avoiding depression. I know personally that craft activities have helped me through a lot of tough times over the years.

BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Hi Imm, I like your idea of display days showing people how these crafts are utilised in everyday life. I also agree wholeheartedly that craft is a wonderful medicine for depression. I love that "meditative" feeling I get when stitching, especially after I've been doing it for more than 15 minutes. I'm sure I go into a slight trance - because I don't feel the weight of my worries at that time. I guess long distance runners and musicians must go to that "zone" like we quilters do. I know it's better than hitting a bottle, or gambling away our hard earned money. Having said that my husband often reminds me of the "investment" I have in my sewing room. LOL

Judie Bellingham
Editor Australia & Quilting Sites

www.bellaonline.com/site/australia
www.bellaonline.com/site/quilting

Moderated by  Judie Quilting Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.