Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
behealthy, StargazerUK, Bruceox1962, Kelly Z, Arca Decks
56567 Registered Users
Forum Stats
56567 Members
417 Forums
111445 Topics
786019 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 11:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
Beetlemess 229
Nancy Roussy 172
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 138
Rosie 66 127
loongdragon 120
James Andrew 99
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 88
Jilly 58
Susan - Meditation Editor 54
Allyson - USACook/HomeCook 53
Ad Income Supports Charity
Topic Options
#806328 - 02/15/13 10:50 PM Baffling Japanese Politeness - At The Movies
Tas - Japanese Culture Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish

Loc: Japan
Being polite is a good thing. But too much of anything is never good. And because this is Japan we're talking about, it can be plain weird. You can't even escape from it at a Japanese movie theatre.

Baffling Japanese Politeness - At The Movies

Add Baffling Japanese Politeness - At The Movies to Twitter Add Baffling Japanese Politeness - At The Movies to Facebook Add Baffling Japanese Politeness - At The Movies to MySpace Add Baffling Japanese Politeness - At The Movies to Del.icio.us Digg Baffling Japanese Politeness - At The Movies Add Baffling Japanese Politeness - At The Movies to Yahoo My Web Add Baffling Japanese Politeness - At The Movies to Google Bookmarks Add Baffling Japanese Politeness - At The Movies to Stumbleupon Add Baffling Japanese Politeness - At The Movies to Reddit
#807077 - 02/20/13 09:02 PM Re: Baffling Japanese Politeness - At The Movies [Re: Tas - Japanese Culture]
Lori - Marriage Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala

Loc: Orange, CA USA
HAHA. This article is so funny. It is so true about Japanese politeness. I have it ingrained into my character that being rude to others is the biggest sin one can commit (exaggerating a bit here).

I hear crunching of popcorn here and worry that my own crunching will be heard! I always turn off my cell phone and only whisper into my companion's ear if there is something important to say. But I'm not a robot! LOL.

Once in a theater, there was group of the loudest women who screamed and talked back to the characters on the screen! "NOOOO! DON'T TURN AROUND!!!" I was so startled and didn't know how to take this. Was it funny? It was a little bit funny. But when they continued, I found it rude and disruptive to my enjoyment of the movie. Their running commentary was not mirroring thoughts I was having about the movie.

Someone else kept kicking the back of my chair. Another person was repeating the dialogue loudly to her hard-of-hearing mother (I had more compassion for that.) But then some drunk guy urinated in the corner of the theater. Seriously.

Of course, it isn't like that at all the theaters here. Thank goodness.

BellaOnline.com Marriage
Twitter: @BellaMarriage

Dreams editor
Bellaonline.com Dreams site
The Dream Collective
Dreams: What are you trying to tell yourself?
Twitter: @tweetdreams4u
and @flutterby03

Add Re: Baffling Japanese Politeness - At The Movies to Twitter Add Re: Baffling Japanese Politeness - At The Movies to Facebook Add Re: Baffling Japanese Politeness - At The Movies to MySpace Add Re: Baffling Japanese Politeness - At The Movies to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Baffling Japanese Politeness - At The Movies Add Re: Baffling Japanese Politeness - At The Movies to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Baffling Japanese Politeness - At The Movies to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Baffling Japanese Politeness - At The Movies to Stumbleupon Add Re: Baffling Japanese Politeness - At The Movies to Reddit
#807340 - 02/22/13 09:36 AM Re: Baffling Japanese Politeness - At The Movies [Re: Tas - Japanese Culture]
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger

Loc: Kansas USA
I guess when the critter crawled out of one of the character's ear during a Star Trek movie and I yelled spontaneously, "Somebody stomp on it!" would have been extremely rude!
Avatar: There is Hope~Even when conditions are harsh, hope can bloom.

Here is a link to my EBook.
Building School Success with ADD EBook Link

Add Re: Baffling Japanese Politeness - At The Movies to Twitter Add Re: Baffling Japanese Politeness - At The Movies to Facebook Add Re: Baffling Japanese Politeness - At The Movies to MySpace Add Re: Baffling Japanese Politeness - At The Movies to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Baffling Japanese Politeness - At The Movies Add Re: Baffling Japanese Politeness - At The Movies to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Baffling Japanese Politeness - At The Movies to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Baffling Japanese Politeness - At The Movies to Stumbleupon Add Re: Baffling Japanese Politeness - At The Movies to Reddit
#807352 - 02/22/13 11:58 AM Re: Baffling Japanese Politeness - At The Movies [Re: Lori - Marriage]
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish

Yeah, restraint is not a bad thing, especially at the movies, but to the point where you have to rein in spontaneous reactions? Spontaneous (verbal) reactions from the audience actually help to improve the atmosphere.

Of course, expressing yourself so freely to the point where you seriously disturb other people, like the examples you've mentioned is not a good thing. That drunk guy urinating in the corner is just... *urgh*

Boy, are the Japanese in for a shock if they watch a movie at an American theatre ;p

#807353 - 02/22/13 12:02 PM Re: Baffling Japanese Politeness - At The Movies [Re: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches]
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish

Oh yeah. And you'll very likely get silent, unfriendly stares from everyone else in the hall for good measure.

Welcome to Japan smile

Edited by Tas - Japanese Culture (02/22/13 12:03 PM)

#807359 - 02/22/13 12:51 PM Re: Baffling Japanese Politeness - At The Movies [Re: Tas - Japanese Culture]
Lori-Dreams Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

I hate to mention this because it sounds so socio-economically prejudiced but...that urination incident occurred in a dollar theater in LA.

Actually, the theaters here in OC are very nice and people tend to be polite and courteous.

I had my own little outburst last night when we took my son to see "The Hobbit" (his third time) and when the two dwarves greeted each other with a big bash to their foreheads, I went, "OUCH!!!" My husband laughed but I was embarrassed because it took me by surprise.

The good thing is that there were only maybe two other parties in the place.

Bellaonline.com Dreams site
The Dream Collective
Dreams: What are you trying to tell yourself?
Twitter: @tweetdreams4u
and @flutterby03

Marriage editor
Bellaonline Marriage site
Twitter: @BellaMarriage

#807631 - 02/24/13 05:40 AM Re: Baffling Japanese Politeness - At The Movies [Re: Lori-Dreams]
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish

That's part of the movie experience, Lori smile
Perfectly natural.

Moderator:  Tas - Japanese Culture 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
Your views on Haute Couture
by Kelly Z
Women's Fashion
3 seconds ago
What did you eat from the garden today?
by Jilly
Frugal Living
Today at 09:01 PM
What did you donate or recycle today?
by Jilly
Frugal Living
Today at 08:48 PM
Spiritual Practice and Our Brain
by Lisa - Buddhism
Buddhism
Today at 08:45 PM
Dealing with Busy and Drowsy Mind in Meditation
by Lisa - Buddhism
Buddhism
Today at 08:42 PM
Mindfulness and Meditation in Plain English
by Lisa - Buddhism
Buddhism
Today at 08:39 PM
Inspiration from the Buddha's Life
by Lisa - Buddhism
Buddhism
Today at 08:21 PM
Seniors should get to know their bankers
by Pam - Senior Issues
Senior Issues
Today at 06:33 PM
Rebuilding Your Social Life
by Pam - Senior Issues
Senior Issues
Today at 04:53 PM
What exercise did you do today?
by Nancy Roussy
Exercise
Today at 04:37 PM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
2 registered (Izeigo, Kelly Z), 70 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.