Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#805919 02/13/13 09:17 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Dr. Hershey, can you explain how euphoria can be a symptom of a mental health condition?

I feel euphoric quite frequently. But I do not have manic-depression or even mania. Gosh, there are times when I wished I could be manic to get things done. LOL.

Lori Phillips
Dreams editor

Bellaonline.com Dreams site
The Dream Collective
Dreams: What are you trying to tell yourself?
Twitter: @tweetdreams4u
and @flutterby03

Marriage editor
Bellaonline Marriage site
Twitter: @BellaMarriage
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Euphoria can be a pre-cursor to psycosis when you are sick.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Psychosis? Oh, no! What is that?!?!

I usually get that euphoric feeling during prayer, meditation or just when I am in the state of appreciation and gratitude.

It doesn't just hit me without first thinking joyful or thankful thoughts. I just read a tiny bit about euphoria and how it can strike one after certain triggers like drugs, exercise, sex or other adrenaline-inducing activities like sky-diving. And also how one can feel restless, excitable or hyperactive.

None of those trigger my euphoric feelings. Only love and gratitude.

Can this be a form of psychosis?

Last edited by Lori-Dreams; 02/13/13 10:45 AM.

Lori Phillips
Dreams editor

The Dream Collective
and @flutterby03

Marriage editor
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Don't worry Lori,

You are well-grounded in setting forth the actions and behaviors you desire then enjoy euphoria as a result.

This is a conscious act.

Psychosis is the inability to distinguish the concrete world from the world of imagination.

When we are about 6 yrs. old we feel we have special powers.

As we mature, we understand cause and effect, and the concrete 3-dimensional world.

I've experienced psychosis several times in my 20's and with bi-polar manic -- it's like euphoria that does not have a built-in regulator -- your mind and your emotions race like a runaway train and you start hearing things, seeing things and doing things that are just not there.

Your euphoria is self-induced and is regulated and healthy.

So, you needn't worry.

You still know where you are, that after your euphoric session, chores need to be done or you can even be euphoric during chores.

You don't think you can fly with your own special powers, or change traffic lights with a thought, or levitate your car.

That's psychosis -- very different.

Koala
Koala
Dear LORI

Forget the psychosis.I have been living in a form of bliss or controlled euphoria
for many years.Your episodes happen when you are one with your God.
You have then a great connection with your higher power.In christianity it is called
Beatitude,.IN those moments nothing enters your mind except the connection .

Be in peace.

Loong

BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Lori,
Euphoria, a heightened sense of happiness or well-being, can be a symptom of a few mental health disorders, as well as a symptom of a physical/medical issue.

On a positive note, it can result from experiencing certain spiritual rituals and during meditation (as Loong pointed out).
One can experience euphoria during a great triumph (athlete) or when feeling great love - which is what I believe you are experiencing.

smile

Dr. Ilyssa Hershey
Mental Health Editor
Mental Health Site
Mental Health Facebook Page
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Phew! Thank you all for clearing that up for me.

May you have a day filled with love...and love-induced euphoria! smile

When I was a child, I used to express love and thanks to God for everything from my soft pillow to my skinned knees. Then, as I was doing so while lying in bed, a sudden and curious thing happened: There was this feeling of effervescent bliss welling from my heart. It was like a bubbling water fountain with living water that washed over me. It was quite astonishing and I have never felt bliss to this degree before or again. It continued for several long minutes. Afterward, I lay there feeling humbled and tearful and so much love for God.

I will always remember that.

Thank you for letting me know that this is not a form of mental illness.

Lori Phillips
Dreams editor

The Dream Collective
and @flutterby03

Marriage editor
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Lori,

You heard it from the Doc !!

And Loong added some very beautiful insight.

You are truly spiritual, and your culture gently allowed you to unfold.

I grew up in a western blue-collar mechanized culture and there was not very much room for such ' foolishness ' so, I was branded mentally ill and ' not normal '.

Much of my spirituality has been aborted and I strive daily to pick up the pieces and strive toward wholeness.

I'm grateful that you are here and so willing to express such a beautiful experience.

I apologize if I caused you any duress.

The trained eye, heart, head and hand of the doctor here is able to distinguish between the two.

-- Burt B.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Oh, Burt! Please do not worry about a thing. I am thankful that you brought up important points so I could understand more clearly what is going on with me.

I always wondered about the "mentally ill" because even as a small child, I saw them as simply perceiving a different dimension than the rest of us who are locked into this physical one. I see that our bodies are physical but our spirits are multi-dimensional. The "mentally ill" have brains that are differently wired, and while that presents adjustment problems for living in this physical world, it allows their minds and spirits to perceive worlds beyond.

I also felt abnormal since I was a child, but now I see that normality is nothing to strive for. Celebrate YOU in all your uniqueness and gifts. Even the painful and difficult ones. They shape you.

When you are freed from this physical plane and no longer carry those "burdens" you will be stronger in spirit for having those experiences.

Lori Phillips
Dreams editor

The Dream Collective
and @flutterby03

Marriage editor
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Originally Posted By: Lori-Dreams
Oh, Burt! Please do not worry about a thing. I am thankful that you brought up important points so I could understand more clearly what is going on with me.

I always wondered about the "mentally ill" because even as a small child, I saw them as simply perceiving a different dimension than the rest of us who are locked into this physical one. I see that our bodies are physical but our spirits are multi-dimensional. The "mentally ill" have brains that are differently wired, and while that presents adjustment problems for living in this physical world, it allows their minds and spirits to perceive worlds beyond.

I also felt abnormal since I was a child, but now I see that normality is nothing to strive for. Celebrate YOU in all your uniqueness and gifts. Even the painful and difficult ones. They shape you.

When you are freed from this physical plane and no longer carry those "burdens" you will be stronger in spirit for having those experiences.

I hope so Lori.

Thank You for the positive insight of us ' being unusual children '.

Yes.

Pain is there for growth.

Over the years, I came up with a simple insight:

Unless your heart is broken several times over it will not expand and grow.

Pain and suffering is an accelerated growth process.

Thank You for alleviating my fears of offending you.

In many cultures, the ' schizophrenic ' is celebrated and trained to become the next Shaman.

We truly are multidimensional being and exist simultaneously in many dimensions.

Modern day scientists can mathematically explain 8 to 10 of these dimensions.

However, in my understanding, there are 12 or more.

There is a heavy price to pay for ' full enlightenment ' and few have achieved it.

I really don't like very much this physical form, yet that is part of the growth process and I have to keep it as long as Powers higher than myself decide so.

Geeze... I really wish that all of the world's religious traditions can move from the esoteric to the esoteric.

This is happening, but it is a painful growth process.

Oh Well,

I just hope and pray that all of us get to the right place here and now and then there.

It's my prayer for every living being.

-- Burt B.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.