logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 33 of 72 1 2 31 32 33 34 35 71 72
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
Quotes by Albert Ellis, the father or of Rational Emotive Therapy that many Agnostics and Atheists could live and die with:

"Death is exactly the same state you were in before you were conceived."

"For that again, is what all manner of religion essentially is: childish dependency."

"If something is irrational, that means it won't work. It's usually unrealistic."

"Rational beliefs bring us closer to getting good results in the real world."

"As I often say, if the Martians ever get down here and they're sane, they'll die laughing."

Sponsored Post Advertisement
D
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
D
Those Martians sure "will" die laughing....

Debbie Grejdus
Spirituality Site Editor
Spirituality Forum Moderator
Shark
Shark
I am of the belief that religion is a form of delusion. Any other like minded believers out there?

LesS13 #809982 03/06/13 08:42 PM
C
Shark
Shark
C
Originally Posted By: edwardd1
I am of the belief that religion is a form of delusion. Any other like minded believers out there?

Absolutely!
Couldn't have said it better!

Shark
Shark
Perhaps the most delusional delusion of many of the faith-based is the belief that there is a personal God. Heaven not help us!!!

Shark
Shark
Eleven non-delusional Richard Dawkinisms, the author of the GOD DELUSION. 1. One of the truly bad effects of religion is that it teaches us that it is a virtue to be satisfied with not understanding. 2. My objection to supernatural beliefs is precisely that they miserably fail to do justice to the sublime grandeur of the real world. They represent a narrowing-down from reality, an impoverishment of what the real world has to offer. 3. Everybody is an atheist in saying that there is a god - from Ra to Shiva - in which he does not believe. All that the serious and objective atheist does is to take the next step and to say that there is just one more god to disbelieve in. 4. The only watchmaker is the blind forces of physics. 5. The feeling of awed wonder that science can give us is one of the highest experiences of which the human psyche is capable. It is a deep aesthetic passion to rank with the finest that music and poetry can deliver. It is truly one of the things that make life worth living and it does so, if anything, more effectively if it convinces us that the time we have for living is quite finite. 6. Faith can be very very dangerous, and deliberately to implant it into the vulnerable mind of an innocent child is a grievous wrong. 7. There's real poetry in the real world. Science is the poetry of reality. 8. The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil and no good, nothing but blind pitiless indifference. 9. Faith is the great cop-out, the great excuse to evade the need to think and evaluate evidence. Faith is the belief in spite of, even perhaps because of, the lack of evidence. 10. Religion is about turning untested belief into unshakable truth through the power of institutions and the passage of time. 11. The idea of a divine creator belittles the elegant reality of the universe.

Last edited by edwardd1; 03/09/13 03:04 PM.
Shark
Shark
Religion does three things quite effectively: Divides people, Controls people, Deludes people-Carlespie Mary Alice McKinney

Last edited by edwardd1; 03/10/13 10:16 AM.
Shark
Shark
Here is a riddle for you, how could a supposed OMNIPOTENT ONE be both an ENABLER and a DISENABLER? Alas, like many things AGNOSTIC, the answer (if not self-evident) will not be forthcoming.

Koala
Koala
To Edward,

From what I have read of your writings ,you are an Agnostic not an Atheist.I myself am an Atheist but with a Buddhist phylosophy.
In Buddhism there is no God nor souls,nor "I" "self"

I have known very fiew Atheists.
As soon as one starts denying the existence of a Creator God,he becomes an agnostic.Atheists have no idea of the supposed existence of a higher power/God

loong

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Am also a follower of Buddhism, which for myself I interpret as a philosophy and way of life more than a religion, and think that there is no need for anyone to have to describe themselves as being either an atheist or an agnostic.

In fact one can be both, an agnostic atheist won't profess to know definitely that there is nothing deserving of being called a "God" but neither can they believe one, (or many depending on the religion), does exist. We none of us know.

Unfortunately the thought that one 'God' is better than another, and that one religion is the one and only 'correct' religion has caused many problems over the years, and continues to do so.

A few of prominent atheist Richard Dawkins UK followers are, in my personal experience anyway, rather strange, but, as Edwardd1 quotes, the professor puts forward the points of atheism in a way which is easy to understand, and for anyone interested in discovering the basics of atheist thought, whether one agrees with it or not, his are the essays worth reading.

And even Richard Dawkins says he is willing to change his mind in the face of new evidence.....should it ever be forthcoming.

Francine A. McKenna - German Culture Editor

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

Page 33 of 72 1 2 31 32 33 34 35 71 72

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.