Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
Eleanor Cocreham, Dr M Jordaan, Ketan bhargav, Lyle, dadsgaragedoors
56542 Registered Users
Forum Stats
56543 Members
417 Forums
111386 Topics
785742 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 11:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
Beetlemess 276
loongdragon 168
Nancy Roussy 165
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 138
Rosie 66 137
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 98
James Andrew 89
Lestie4containergardens 68
Allyson - USACook/HomeCook 54
Lisa - Buddhism 51
Ad Income Supports Charity
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#804779 - 02/06/13 11:48 AM Re: Strategies to Reduce Anxiety [Re: Dr. Hershey-MH]
Dr. Hershey-MH Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark

I sometimes shake a little cinnamon on my coffee, not necessarily for the taste, but the smell each time I take a sip. I also use powdered chocolate and vanilla.

I walk my dog twice a day so I do notice many scents in nature. One of my favorites is the smell of freshly cut grass.
Mental Health Facebook Page

Add Re: Strategies to Reduce Anxiety to Twitter Add Re: Strategies to Reduce Anxiety to Facebook Add Re: Strategies to Reduce Anxiety to MySpace Add Re: Strategies to Reduce Anxiety to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Strategies to Reduce Anxiety Add Re: Strategies to Reduce Anxiety to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Strategies to Reduce Anxiety to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Strategies to Reduce Anxiety to Stumbleupon Add Re: Strategies to Reduce Anxiety to Reddit
#805364 - 02/09/13 12:25 PM Re: Strategies to Reduce Anxiety [Re: Dr. Hershey-MH]
Dr. Hershey-MH Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark

Some people make a list of things they can do when their anxiety begins to surface.

Do you have a list? What types of things/activities are on it?

Add Re: Strategies to Reduce Anxiety to Twitter Add Re: Strategies to Reduce Anxiety to Facebook Add Re: Strategies to Reduce Anxiety to MySpace Add Re: Strategies to Reduce Anxiety to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Strategies to Reduce Anxiety Add Re: Strategies to Reduce Anxiety to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Strategies to Reduce Anxiety to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Strategies to Reduce Anxiety to Stumbleupon Add Re: Strategies to Reduce Anxiety to Reddit
#805379 - 02/09/13 02:32 PM Re: Strategies to Reduce Anxiety [Re: Dr. Hershey-MH]
Jilly Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity

Loc: Verde Valley, AZ
Taking a bath/shower, or going swimming helps. Walking/running helps.

#805383 - 02/09/13 02:50 PM Re: Strategies to Reduce Anxiety [Re: Dr. Hershey-MH]
Ruby June Offline

Loc: Spokane
I really like the idea of the list. I'm going to do that. Often I just think about where the anxiety is coming from, take some alprazolam and try to calm down. But the idea of writing the list may calm me down without the alprazolam. It is worth a try. Alprazolam makes me tired. Thanks Dr. H.

Edited by Ruby June (02/09/13 02:51 PM)

#805514 - 02/11/13 08:56 AM Re: Strategies to Reduce Anxiety [Re: Dr. Hershey-MH]
Dr. Hershey-MH Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark

Has anyone tried long, deep cleansing breaths? Wondering if this helps you or you need something more intense?

I find that when I focus on my breathing and take long, deep breaths, it calms my tense, anxious brain. I find I do it in the car most often.

We all experience some level of anxiety so it is interesting and helpful to hear what other people do. A list is a great idea if you find you feel anxious often.

#806057 - 02/14/13 11:04 AM Re: Strategies to Reduce Anxiety [Re: Dr. Hershey-MH]
Dr. Hershey-MH Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark

Another great strategy to reduce anxiety is trying to live in the moment. Living in the Now---seeing, hearing, smelling what is happening in this very moment.

Feelings of anxiety usually arise from worrying about the future...fear of what MIGHT happen. When we arrive at that future time, most of the time what we were afraid of didn't occur. We are okay.

This can be hard to do. A great book that speaks to this is "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle.

Has anyone read this book? What did you think? What has been your experience with this?

Edited by Dr. Hershey-MH (02/14/13 11:05 AM)

#806101 - 02/14/13 12:55 PM Re: Strategies to Reduce Anxiety [Re: Dr. Hershey-MH]
Burt B. Offline
Chipmunk

Originally Posted By: Dr. Hershey-MH
Another great strategy to reduce anxiety is trying to live in the moment. Living in the Now---seeing, hearing, smelling what is happening in this very moment.

Feelings of anxiety usually arise from worrying about the future...fear of what MIGHT happen. When we arrive at that future time, most of the time what we were afraid of didn't occur. We are okay.

This can be hard to do. A great book that speaks to this is "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle.

Has anyone read this book? What did you think? What has been your experience with this?

It seems to be a close relative to:

http:
//en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Be_Here_Now_(book)

#806233 - 02/15/13 10:32 AM Re: Strategies to Reduce Anxiety [Re: Dr. Hershey-MH]
Dr. Hershey-MH Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark

The "power of now" allowed me to notice and smell a beautiful flowering shrub that I pass everyday when I walk the dog.

I never noticed it...why? Because my mind was filled with thoughts of what I had to do later in the day.....which can lead to a heightened sense of anxiety.

Has anyone tried to really focus on the now? What has been your experience?

#806311 - 02/15/13 07:06 PM Re: Strategies to Reduce Anxiety [Re: Dr. Hershey-MH]
Jilly Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity

Loc: Verde Valley, AZ
I am in the now when having outdoor adventure. went kayaking with dan deep into a mangrove tunnel and felt alive, powerful, and like shouting. It was what I want to have happen every few days.

#806498 - 02/17/13 06:52 PM Re: Strategies to Reduce Anxiety [Re: Dr. Hershey-MH]
Dr. Hershey-MH Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark

I think I may have said this in the other anxiety thread, but...this experience was so exhilarating and happy for you. If you could try to take yourself back there when you are feeling anxious...close your eyes and remember the sights, sounds and feelings...it may help reduce the anxiety before it gets to an unbearable/uncomfortable level.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Dr J Webb - Mental Health 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
Norwegians turn to crime at Easter
by Mona - Astronomy
Mystery Books
10 seconds ago
Animal Abuse on the Internet
by Nancy Roussy
Animal Life
Today at 05:00 AM
What will you do today?
by Nancy Roussy
Inspiration
Today at 03:28 AM
2014 Eating Log
by Nancy Roussy
Low Carb
Today at 03:26 AM
What did you dream about last night?
by Nancy Roussy
Dreams
Today at 03:24 AM
My abortion coercion
by daisybun
Pro-Choice
Today at 03:02 AM
How to Hem with a Sewing Machine
by John Alexander
Sewing
Today at 01:59 AM
Pillowcase Sewing Instructions
by John Alexander
Sewing
Today at 01:56 AM
Know Your Sewing Machine Parts
by John Alexander
Sewing
Today at 01:42 AM
How to Sew Kitchen Curtains
by John Alexander
Sewing
Today at 01:39 AM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
4 registered (Izeigo, Mona - Astronomy, RedNerium, 1 invisible), 77 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.