Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
G
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
G

Although Key West is just over 140 miles from Miami, it is world away in terms of culture, architecture and lifestyle. Discover what it is like to drive along the Overseas Highway and some of the highlights along the way.

Driving to Key West on the Overseas Highway

Gillian Birch
Florida Editor
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Hmm. I'm planning a three or four day camping trip in the keys, but people are saying the beaches are nothing special, and that the views while driving aren't good. There are a few short trails to do, but apparently nothing outrageously good.

Is this worth doing? Should I go somewhere else? I like hiking and pretty scenery.

G
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
G
I have driven the Overseas highway many times, and in an ordinary vehicle the views are nothing special. The bridges have high solid walls and the highway itself is disappointingly lined with Subways, MacDonalds and hotels so you could be almost anywhere. It is better in an SUV or higher vehicle and brilliant in an open-top car!

I'm not sure the Keys is the place for you, Jilly as it is very hot and humid, the beaches are tiny with soft sand you quickly sink into, so no chance of beach walks and hikes. The two things visitors go to the Keys for are the city of Key West, and the watersports opportunities. Key West is brilliant for a couple of days sightseeing, shopping, art galleries, maritime museums, historic homes and gardens. Watersports lovers will find superb snorkeling and diving opportunities, sport fishing charters, sunset boat cruises, glass bottom boat trips and Seadoo safaris are all available at Key West, and to a lesser degree at Marathon, halfway along the Overseas Highway.

For hikes, try Lake Okeechobee, or visit the Everglades National Park at Everglades City/Flamingo where there is camping, hiking trails and great ranger-led hikes and activities. Hope you have fun!

Gillian Birch
Florida Editor
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Well, it seems dan and I have our heart set on the keys, so I will report after I return. We will be beach camping, plus I found a handful of what seem like decent nature trails on various keys.

We have a smaller SUV (honda CRV), so hopefully we will be able to see over the highway rails.

I really enjoyed driving over the causeway across Tampa Bay yesterday - that was really unique. It was something like 10-15 miles long! I'm hoping at least some of the driving at the Keys will be like that. And I hope we can find some little coves on various keys to hang out on.

G
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
G
Have a great time Jilly and let us know how you get on.

By the way I have to revise my comment about the Keys being "Hot and humid". I usually go in the summer/fall. If you are visiting now it will be warm and beautiful!

Gillian Birch
Florida Editor
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
We're reserving our beach campsites today and leave tomorrow. We have a brand new tent to try, and I have a list of trails to hit along the way across the keys.

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I loved driving down the keys. We were in a light SUV - a CRV - and had spectacular views on every bridge. It was incredible. And it didn't seem like strip malls on the keys at all. I was hugely satisfied with the drive. The seven mile bridge was the best.

I have so much to share about this.

G
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
G
Hi Jilly, welcome back! It sounds like you had a fabulous adventure. How did you get on camping on the Keys? And did you find anywhere to hike, other than around the streets of Key West?

Gillian Birch
Florida Editor

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.