Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
D
Such an important point and so true, Lori. You can't take it with you anyway. I came to realize that as well very suddenly after losing my sweet boyfriend last year. All the material things he had owned stayed behind, and what mattered to me the most, the affection and love from him every single day, has gone to another place. The objects you can touch are in the end not important at all.

I just barely make it paycheck to paycheck, with the increased taxes, medical insurance, and only making minimum wage for 35 hours a week. I haven't made this little money in 20 years, but when I sit and think about what I do have I realize that I am very blessed and that God is watching out for me and taking care of me. I don't need a lot to survive, and there are much more important things in life than what money can buy.

Debbie Grejdus
Spirituality Site Editor
Spirituality Forum Moderator
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
You are a very special person, Debbie. You worded this sentiment beautifully.

I am so sad that you are without the physical presence of your boyfriend. frown

However, as you have experienced, he is very much nearby and he seems so much happier after being released from his earthly concerns. He feels he is of more help to you now than when he was in the physical, though, for some reason.

I have a feeling that soon you will be inspired to do something, write something, that will help others while improving your own financial situation.

Lori Phillips
Dreams editor

Bellaonline.com Dreams site
The Dream Collective
Dreams: What are you trying to tell yourself?
Twitter: @tweetdreams4u
and @flutterby03

Marriage editor
Bellaonline Marriage site
Twitter: @BellaMarriage
Koala
Koala
Dear Jilly

Went to your original post,to really understand what the subject is.
Since my retirement 2years ago,never lived as well as I do now.
Just went tody to the community center to try to find a phone with a cord.
There were none.Went to a store where people go there because prices are cheap.
Found a beautiful one for 10$.The one I have now is an expensive wireless one
Someone gave me brand new.With another unit for another room.I am going to give it away.Made my shopping this week,not one item was not on sale for the week.
Most people in the village I live in are sure I am rich.People make clothes,clothes do not make people.

There is a problem of low self-esteem when people are ashamed of having low income.When I enter a place. Ifeel like a rich man.

To finish being happy,a smile on ones face,showing confidence,peoplewill think you have made it.

My car has 180,000 miles on it,it iis a 1997 Toyota.far from being a rich man,s car .
Loong

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Sandra, I think you are completely correct about the poor economy in general taking the stigma away from being low income. It's just a matter of fact thing now, a way of life.

I think there is a greater sense of 'all being in this together'- of less trying to outdo each other, and more of encouraging everyone to get by.

Lori, as far as spirituality, poverty has always been symbolic as a virtue. I'm not sure where that comes from, but being happy because of the important things in life SHOULD supersede the quest for toys.

Everyone, it really is interesting that we covet all kinds of expensive things without regarding the return on investment.
For example. How expensive is a set of quads, an expensive motorhome, or jet skis, if you use them only twice a year? We have to maintain these things, store them, clean them and transport them, add gas and oil to them...for very little ROI. They own US.

If your family's lifestyle is based around watersports and jet skis, maybe it's worthwhile. Say you use the jetskis five times a year. I still think it's still a very expensive item per use.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Everyone has the right to choose what brings him or her joy so long as it does not infringe upon the rights of others. This right adds to the richness of the diversity of life.

We see what others have chosen and decide for ourselves if that is what we want or not.

I like your other post about people eating out then crying poor. It really is about choices, isn't it?

I choose not to feel shamed by my income. Rich, poor. It's all only temporary experiences. My income is not a reflection of my worth or value. I have enjoyed experiencing being both.

Lori Phillips
Dreams editor

Bellaonline.com Dreams site
The Dream Collective
Dreams: What are you trying to tell yourself?
Twitter: @tweetdreams4u
and @flutterby03

Marriage editor
Bellaonline Marriage site
Twitter: @BellaMarriage
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I like that. Income should not define us, either way. We are far more than that. Our worth doesn't come from our money.

D
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
D
Lori....thank you. I have experienced death many times in my family before, the closest to me being my father, but nothing compared to losing my boyfriend, whom I loved like he was my husband. That experience brought me to my knees last year, and I am still trying to make a new life and a new reality for myself. It is true what they say, that you will never be the same, or be able to go back to who you were before the great loss.

Because of my experience, my priorities and values have been more clearly defined for me. The important things in my life are few and very powerful, love being the most important and the most real for me, for it never dies and it feeds the soul like nothing else. Yes, I need money for basic necessities, but I find that I can live with so much less than I ever thought I could.

Jilly.....you are right, we are not defined by the money we have or do not have. I find that having less makes me more focused on what really matters to me in life, what is internal and eternal.

This is a great topic.

Debbie Grejdus
Spirituality Site Editor
Spirituality Forum Moderator
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Thank you, Debbie. That is a beautiful post.

I keep being reminded about how badly off people have things these days. And right now the US government can't afford to keep the national parks open. Sort of.

We are still amid hard times in this country, and there is no shame in admitting to financial suffering.

My goal is to show that we can be just as happy living on less. A whole lot less.

Our disposable mentality no longer applies to modern living.

BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
There is NO shame in regards to materialism or how little one has to live off of.

However, I caution, "The Gov't not being "able" to afford to keep the parks "open" even after meditation, feels far from what it seems.

What it feels like moreso is to make things "uncomfortable" for the people until either they give up or blame something other than what it is...I feel to keep an "birds-eye's" perspective on this. It feels more like a "Blame-game" coming on for shortages and long-lines.

We still have eachother!!!

And Jilly! The goal is pure in itself of what it is you stand for. The power of Unitedness and the People - heads and chin up and insync w/one another, that's the Spirit of the Dove on Eagle's wings."

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
L
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
L
The problem is this is how we ALL were raised, even if your parents or teachers didn’t say this to you directly, you’ve seen it or heard stories like this.

A talented young person says: “I want to spend the rest of my life painting, writing, being a volunteer in another country…” and the adult figure—or perhaps it’s a spouse or significant other says: “Are you crazy? Only a bum/loser would do such a thing. You will never make any money!! Go to college, major in accounting/engineering/law/nursing get a “good” job and do your art on the side…”

If this has not been said to you, you have heard it, or seen it and most likely on some level you’ve come to believe it—even if you do not want to believe it. I don’t want to believe it myself, but alas my conditioning/brainwashing was very thorough.

Because of this message that we all received on some level, we have come to measure our character, our self worth based on whether or not we’ve achieved “The American Dream” where we are wealthy by way of a lucrative job or business.

I remember once years ago as a young stay-at-home mom, I felt less than my peers who were working full-time. I had never worked so hard in my entire life, my children were thriving, yet I felt like a complete failure and slacker because of the brainwashing/conditioning I’d received my entire life that told me I was supposed to always be making money.

We have got to change the message. It used to be that you were guaranteed entre into the middle class if you had a degree. I think it’s safe to say we can kiss those days goodbye--forever. We have to give a different message to young people. We must tell young people to pick careers not based on money but rather because they enjoy doing it. Also we should tell young people that there is an ebb and flow to life, material things come and go.

As Lori said in an early post we should advise the young to focus on collecting things that will stay with them forever—like warm memories of time spent with friends and family, spiritual fulfillment, and love. A house can be foreclosed on at any time and it can happen to anyone, but what is inside of each of us can never be taken away.

Also I think we should go back to multiple generations living under one roof, which is a topic for another discussion. This post is already way too long:)

Last edited by leahmullen; 10/10/13 03:56 PM.

LEAH MULLEN
LIFE COACHING

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jilly 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.