logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#804182 02/03/13 05:10 AM
OP Offline
My sister recently asked about making a tee shirt quilt for my nephew who will be graduating from high school this spring. I've heard they're difficult and wonder if anyone has done this. His shirts are actually soccer jerseys so they aren't tee shirt material but a slicker, heavier fabric. Any ideas/suggestions greatly appreciated! Curlytop

Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
lmm Offline
L
I am no expert, but what I have done in the past is stablilise with iron on interfacing and then treat as other stabilised fabrics. It worked well for me in wall hangings that were quilted, from memory I did not extend the interfacing into the seam allowance in an attempt to reduce the bulk.

BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
That's what I'd be doing too Curlytop. The fabric of tshirts is knit fabric and tends to want to stretch at the drop of a hat. It's better to stabilise it with some iron on interfacing which will hold it whilst you put it into a qult formation.

Good luck and have fun.
Cheerio for now

Judie Bellingham
Editor Australia & Quilting Sites

www.bellaonline.com/site/australia
www.bellaonline.com/site/quilting
OP Offline
Thanks for the input. I'm going to try on a couple of old tee shirts while waiting for my sister to mail my nephew's jerseys. Curlytop

BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Let us know how you get on Curlytop. We'll be interested to see the final result.

Cheerio for now

Judie Bellingham

Sorry, no suggestions here, but I've got two piles of t's one for my son (little league-high school baseball) and one for my daughter, (cheerleading)and am nervous about getting these started. so, I'm hoping to see an answer for you/us too! so, in advance "Thanks quilters!!" Heather PS I've already bought a whole role of interfacing and am ready to go, except for the design and the nerve!

OP Offline
A brief update...when I received the box of shirts from my sister it contained 30 shirts; 15 polyester or nylon and 15 cotton tees. I decided to use the polyester & nylon ones for the top and put my nephew's senior picture in the center. I have the top together with sashing and plan to add a 6" border. I've cut the portions I want from the cotton shirts and plan to fuse & applique them around the border. We are RV full-timers and spending the next couple of weeks slowly moving north from FL so have put my project on hold for a little bit. Will post a picture when completed. I've really enjoyed planning this project and seeing it come together and it's not been as difficult as I expected. Curlytop

BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
How very interesting Curlytop, and I wonder how you stabilized the t.shirt fabric, or did you find it was holding it's own shape?

How about the travel you'll be doing, is it fun to stitch in an RV?

Cheerio for now

Judie Bellingham

OP Offline
Hi Judie, I used Pelon craft fuse, a nonwoven fusible interfacing on the shirts. I would use something lighter in the future as it's a little stiff. I used Pelon wonder under to fuse the cotton shirt pieces to the border, which worked well. I do enjoy the full-time RV life, where I meet so many wonderful crafters. One of our winter destinations is where I learned to quilt. It's not difficult to machine piece in our 5th wheel but it's helpful to be in an RV park with a clubhouse for quilting as I can usually put several large tables together for a larger, better workspace. It's a lot of carting back & forth at times, but so far enjoyable. I so enjoy your forum, Judie, and your weekly newsletters; keep up the good work! Curlytop

My granddaughter is a sophomore tennis player and my daughter has asked if I could do a t-shirt quilt for her for graduation. Can anyone point me to a good resource, instruction, pattern for this? I have never done one before, and I was concerned talking about interfacing and Pellon, as I don't know how stiff this should be. I am not going to start this quilt for a year and a half, but I was following this subject to see what you are doing! Thanks!

Mary Ellen Werner
Risingsun, Ohio
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Judie Quilting Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
MyHeritage & OldNews
by Angie - 03/16/24 09:15 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/16/24 08:27 AM
Denmark's Oscar Entry "The Promised Land"
by Angela - Drama Movies - 03/15/24 08:51 PM
Stunning jewelry by Devon Leigh
by sarae - 03/15/24 12:58 PM
From Candlemas to March Equinox
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/14/24 07:35 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/14/24 07:12 PM
A Lenten Reflection
by Angie - 03/13/24 09:24 PM
Stitching by Hand
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/13/24 04:21 PM
Lucy Lawless Directs New Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 03/12/24 05:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/10/24 03:09 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.