Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Hello Mary, lovely to hear from you. As you can see from the comments above yours, Curlytop and others are great for advice. But I want to let you know I'm currently surfing the web for all manner of tutorials and instructions and patterns and I'll post the links in an Article On Making Quilts from T. Shirts, next Sunday 7th April. So keep an eye out for that article, I'm sure it together with all the helpful advice you get on this forum, you'll be able to make a lovely quilt for your granddaughter.
Cheerio for now

Judie Bellingham
Editor Australia & Quilting Sites

www.bellaonline.com/site/australia
www.bellaonline.com/site/quilting
Sponsored Post Advertisement
OP Offline
Hi Judie and Mary, I found a couple of sources on the internet by searching for "making tee shirt quilts." Im a visual person and each had several pictures. Quiltbug.com and straw.com were the sites. The task was a bit daunting and as I cut the second shirt I remember telling my husband, "Well, there's no turning back now!" Next week we will be parked for a couple of weeks and I look forward to working on this project again. Curlytop

L
L
I recently completed 2 t-shirt quilts. I used Pellon fusible featherweight 911FF. It is very lightweight.It worked very well. The first one had the shirts on only one side. I was able to handquilt that one. The other was two-sided, or reversible. I tied that one to keep it together.

BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Fantastic advice gals, thanks for contributing. I'm posting an article this Sunday with lots and lots of links for instructions and tutorials on making T.shirt quilts. So keep an eye out for that.

I just love this forum. Always getting responses from lovely quilters from all over the world, just being their generous selves and offering good advice. Well done girls!!

Cheerio for now

Judie Bellingham

Q
Q
I have made 2 t-shirt quilts, working on the 3rd. The stabilizer I use is Easy-Knit Fusible Tricot interfacing. Because t-shirts stretch side to side fuse the tricot to the back of the t-shirt the opposite direction from top to bottom. A resource I used is Tips for working with T-shirts in You Did What?? With My T-Shirts by Judy Bobbitt & Katie Reed. I layer the stabilized t-shirt block with Warm & Natural batting and a backing fabric (my preference is Stonehenge by Northcutt)and machine quilt around emblems, etc. I sew the t-shirt blocks together using the sashing method from Reversible Quilts by Sharon Pederson. T-shirt quilts can be very heavy, using this method I can machine quilt using my home machine.

BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Hey Quiltr2, thanks for that advice. I never realised that the t.shirt material stretches from side to side. Duh! I guess that makes sense now that I think about it.

Living in Australia, I must admit that making a t.shirt quilt is not a common thing to do here. I've seen quilts made of baby clothes and sheeting and ruggies etc and even quilts with cub/scout badges all over them, but not many t.shirt quilts.

Tell me readers, is it popular in the US or Europe? Do these quilts get used?

Cheerio for now

Judie Bellingham

T
T
I didn't know making a T-shirt was supposed to be difficult when I made one several years ago for my daughter. Someone DID tell me to stabilize the shirts before cutting & sewing ~ thank goodness. I stabilized with a lightweight nylon fusible which worked very well. Since printing on T-shirts are different sizes I made my blocks each about 12" by adding fabric to top/bottom/sides. In some blocks I used 4 of the small printing (usually on the front upper left) to make a 12" block. I had no pattern so it was very hit & miss. I placed it on the floor & just kept measuring to make sure everything fit together, then added a border. It turned out great!

OP Offline
Here is my nephew with my finished tee shirt quilt. It was a big hit with both him & his mom (my sister)! [url=http://www.mccorkles.org/images/WebPictures/Summer2013/June/162%20Ross%20Quilt.jpg]The Adventures of Bob & Kathy[/url]

Shark
Shark
I had to open it in another browser, but that looks really cool!

"And the greatest of these is Love"
Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
L
lmm Offline
L
I know this topic is a few months old, but I am a member of the Quilting and sewing enthusiasts! group on Facebook, and a member has just posted a photo of a quilt she has completed for a customer using TShirt patterns, the advice in the comments was to use the lightest weight interfacing. I thought this might interest those wanting to make a quilt using TShirt prints.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Judie Quilting Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:28 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:26 PM
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.