Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#803634 01/30/13 11:59 AM
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
Do Vibration Exercise Machines work. Like the ones at goga studios? Anyone used them with success?

Stephanie Watson
Weight Loss Editor

Sponsored Post Advertisement
T
Parakeet
Parakeet
T
Hi Stephanie.
According to the Mayo Clinic's view of vibration machines is they "offer some fitness and health benefits, but it is not clear if it as good for you as regular exercise."

However, my research did not show that they were unsafe. There is also some research that shows it helps reduce back pain, improve balance in the elderly, and reduce bone loss.

Of course the makers of the machines make claims of amazing weight loss. This machine is fairly new and there is not a lot of research to back up the claims.

I don't know anyone who has tried one but I suggest the best way to find your answer is to try one. They look like fun and the exercises are common ones you will be familiar with.

Let us know how it works out.

C
C
Hello - I have severe arthritis and there are days when the thought of a trip on the treadmill just about makes me want to urp. I have a Whole Body Vibration machine and I use it on my down days. My balance is impaired by my arthritis and I have found my vibration machine to be a help with that.

I can adjust the strength of the vibration and, depending on my pain level, I can adjust that to my needs.

I didn't spend a lot of money on it but there are some with lots of bells and whistles. All mine has is a level of vibration control. As I said above, I do think it has helped my balance level and I have noticed that when walking I don't veer to the left and then the right, but, rather, I can walk straight ahead.

I hope this helps a bit.

T
Parakeet
Parakeet
T
Carleen, it sounds like you use your machine as a therapeutic tool, is that right? I'm glad that it helps your arthritis I know how painful it can be.

Have you noticed any weight loss or toning of muscles since you have been using your machine?

C
C
Yes, it's a therapeutic tool - anything that keeps me upright and moving is a good thing!!! I have psoriatic arthritis and osteoarthritis, in all of my body. Not a pleasant thing at all!

The biggest benefit from using the Whole Body Vibration machine is better balance and sureness of feet. I was beginning to walk as if I even more elderly than I am, very carefully and timidly.

I have noticed some toning but not weight loss. I have a home gym with lots of other things to use including a Bowflex, treadmill, strider, etc. I will occasionally use exercise bands that I've accumulated from various physical therapy sessions over the years. I put the illustrated exercises on magnetic boards on the walls of my gym so I won't forget the proper form.

For me, speed = impact = pain. So anything that I do is mostly in slow-motion! My maximum speed on treadmill or walking outdoors, is 3 mph on good days. Not all days are that good!

My weight loss, which is significant, comes from exercise and low-carb eating for the past 10 years.

T
Parakeet
Parakeet
T
Sounds like you know what your body needs; and you know what to do for it. I like your motto: speed=impact=pain. Actually I pretty much do the same thing. Three mph is great, that is usually what I walk so my knees don't get sore.

One thing I might suggest is a recumbent bike. I have gotten relief for back and knee pain (degenerative arthritis) from riding my bike. There is absolutely no impact. They are pretty affordable as long as you don't want a lot of bells and whistles. Look for comfort and stability. The bike should provide a smooth ride without jerkiness.

Good luck and keep us posted.

C
C
I've been thinking about a recumbent bike. I currently have an adult tricycle for outdoor use but my knees are not liking it very much anymore.

I'm thinking a recumbent bike will be my next purchase. Thanks for validating my impression of them.

Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
Thank you for that information everyone! Right up the street is a Goga studio, it's only 49 a month, but I think what I'll do is join for one month (no contracts) and see how it helps. I'm a little bothered by the idea of people seeing my body shaking like that, but I don't want to spend too much money until I know it works. Thanks!

Stephanie Watson
Weight Loss Editor

T
Parakeet
Parakeet
T
I should probably already know this but what is Goga?

Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
You can check them out at gogastudios dot com. They have the vibration machines.

Stephanie Watson
Weight Loss Editor

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.