Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
spoodle22, KaylaWa, Marie Stroman, azirajewels, Chrissy Brady-Smith
57462 Registered Users
Forum Stats
57463 Members
417 Forums
113599 Topics
806736 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 07:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
"Rosie" 438
Nancy Roussy 231
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 115
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 70
Jana - Creativity Editor 61
Mona - Astronomy 57
Beetlemess 49
Sandra Investing/HFinance 48
Susan - Meditation Editor 40
mary-tea1 18
Ad Income Supports Charity
Topic Options
#791074 - 11/04/12 03:38 PM Ethnic Hair Care - How Old Before You Relax Hair
Maria - Prime Time TV Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

Loc: Stockbridge, GA
My friend's daughter is 11 and she has already put a relaxer in her hair. Since I have a 10 year old daughter it made me wonder, how soon is too soon to put chemicals in your daughter's hair?

Add Ethnic Hair Care - How Old Before You Relax Hair to Twitter Add Ethnic Hair Care - How Old Before You Relax Hair to Facebook Add Ethnic Hair Care - How Old Before You Relax Hair to MySpace Add Ethnic Hair Care - How Old Before You Relax Hair to Del.icio.us Digg Ethnic Hair Care - How Old Before You Relax Hair Add Ethnic Hair Care - How Old Before You Relax Hair to Yahoo My Web Add Ethnic Hair Care - How Old Before You Relax Hair to Google Bookmarks Add Ethnic Hair Care - How Old Before You Relax Hair to Stumbleupon Add Ethnic Hair Care - How Old Before You Relax Hair to Reddit
#792345 - 11/11/12 04:39 PM Re: Ethnic Hair Care - How Old Before You Relax Hair [Re: Maria - Prime Time TV]
Dianne W - Editor Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf

Loc: Virginia
My daughter has never put chemicals in her hair, but did decide to get twist her hair into locs when she was in Jr. Highschool much to my dismay. Her hair grew long, but she decided to pick them out midway through her highschool years. We redid the locs. :-) She has had them since and they have grown quite long.

I have chemicals and would love to go natural but worry about the transition. I would say, if a mother could hold off, it might be good. Once the transition is made, it's hard to transition back.

The secret to a perfect interview? Know your story and practice it!

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon

Add Re: Ethnic Hair Care - How Old Before You Relax Hair to Twitter Add Re: Ethnic Hair Care - How Old Before You Relax Hair to Facebook Add Re: Ethnic Hair Care - How Old Before You Relax Hair to MySpace Add Re: Ethnic Hair Care - How Old Before You Relax Hair to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Ethnic Hair Care - How Old Before You Relax Hair Add Re: Ethnic Hair Care - How Old Before You Relax Hair to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Ethnic Hair Care - How Old Before You Relax Hair to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Ethnic Hair Care - How Old Before You Relax Hair to Stumbleupon Add Re: Ethnic Hair Care - How Old Before You Relax Hair to Reddit
#792365 - 11/11/12 08:25 PM Re: Ethnic Hair Care - How Old Before You Relax Hair [Re: Maria - Prime Time TV]
Maria - Prime Time TV Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

Loc: Stockbridge, GA
Dianne,

I have been scouring the World Wide Web and almost everyone agrees with you about transitioning back to natural hair. I actually had sisterlocs in my hair for a few years but my daughter would never sit still long enough for that.

I have always heard that you are supposed to wait at least until a girl hits puberty though because of all of the chemicals. Plus I though no lye relaxers were more gentle but everything that I've read says that it's easier on your scalp but harder on your hair.

Add Re: Ethnic Hair Care - How Old Before You Relax Hair to Twitter Add Re: Ethnic Hair Care - How Old Before You Relax Hair to Facebook Add Re: Ethnic Hair Care - How Old Before You Relax Hair to MySpace Add Re: Ethnic Hair Care - How Old Before You Relax Hair to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Ethnic Hair Care - How Old Before You Relax Hair Add Re: Ethnic Hair Care - How Old Before You Relax Hair to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Ethnic Hair Care - How Old Before You Relax Hair to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Ethnic Hair Care - How Old Before You Relax Hair to Stumbleupon Add Re: Ethnic Hair Care - How Old Before You Relax Hair to Reddit
#792536 - 11/13/12 01:04 PM Re: Ethnic Hair Care - How Old Before You Relax Hair [Re: Maria - Prime Time TV]
Dianne W - Editor Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf

Loc: Virginia
I think all of it is difficult on your hair and scalp. It also depends on the brand and the individual. There was a brand that totally took my hair out and ended up with a bald spot, switched brands and all way ok.

The secret to a perfect interview? Know your story and practice it!

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon

#800858 - 01/15/13 09:30 PM Re: Ethnic Hair Care - How Old Before You Relax Hair [Re: Maria - Prime Time TV]
emily66012 Offline

I have to agree with dw and Maria be very careful and because you don't want to lose any strands take precaution!

#801563 - 01/18/13 05:13 PM Re: Ethnic Hair Care - How Old Before You Relax Hair [Re: Maria - Prime Time TV]
Meredeth King Offline
Shark

Eleven might be too early for a girl to have a relaxer put on teh hair, I guess.
In fact, my mother didn't do that to me, I did that the day when I am into the 20th years in the world.

#803523 - 01/30/13 06:15 AM Re: Ethnic Hair Care - How Old Before You Relax Hair [Re: Maria - Prime Time TV]
BB -Body Care Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko

I am totally against putting chemicals (relaxer)on a youngsters hair. This is a very abusive process that will lead to scalp problems and early hair loss. Let the child make their own decision once they are old enough to realize the risk involved. Perhaps in their early teens. This is my opinion. I'm sure there are others who totally disagree.

#808176 - 02/27/13 02:17 AM Re: Ethnic Hair Care - How Old Before You Relax Hair [Re: Maria - Prime Time TV]
RossN Offline

Depending on what kind of relaxer you are using it's always best to follow up with the entire hair line products for best results for example if you used pink luster's or olive oil you should use there other products too.

does face thin tool work

#870952 - 07/16/14 03:58 AM Re: Ethnic Hair Care - How Old Before You Relax Hair [Re: Maria - Prime Time TV]
jacksonking112 Offline

I am totally against putting chemicals (relaxer)on a youngsters hair. This is a very abusive process that will lead to scalp problems and early hair loss. Let the child make their own decision once they are old enough to realize the risk involved.

Moderator:  Juliette - Ethnic Beauty 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
What did you SPEND money on today?
by Nancy Roussy
Frugal Living
21 minutes 54 seconds ago
What is your stress level today?
by Nancy Roussy
Stress Management
42 minutes 42 seconds ago
Where are you and how is the weather?
by Nancy Roussy
Inspiration
Today at 04:21 AM
What will you do today?
by Nancy Roussy
Inspiration
Today at 04:20 AM
2014 Eating Log
by Nancy Roussy
Low Carb
Today at 04:15 AM
What did you dream about last night?
by Nancy Roussy
Dreams
Today at 04:09 AM
What Did You Write Today?
by Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames
Fiction Writing
Today at 04:08 AM
Rosetta's Story – Facts for Kids *new*
by Mona - Astronomy
Astronomy
Today at 03:26 AM
Warm and Cozy Holiday Muffins
by Allyson - USACook/HomeCook
Home Cooking
Yesterday at 06:50 PM
Lisa's Daily 10pm EST / 8pm MST Meditation
by Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames
Meditation
Yesterday at 05:58 PM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
0 registered (), 46 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.