Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#802819 01/26/13 02:11 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Loneliness and being alone are often thought of as being the same. Many people believe that the person that spends most of their time alone must be lonely. This may not be the case. Learn the subtle difference, the causes of loneliness and the techniques one can use to help themselves feel better.

Loneliness

Dr. Ilyssa Hershey
Mental Health Editor
Mental Health Site
Mental Health Facebook Page
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
One can be in a roomful of people or in a relationship yet still feel very lonely. I have felt lonely before and it hurts.

I often wonder how, in a world full of people, anyone could be lonely. Why don't all the lonely people just get together? But it isn't that easy. We all have our issues, including as was mentioned in the article, social anxiety.

We're so insecure and worried about how others perceive us.

Lori Phillips
Dreams editor

Bellaonline.com Dreams site
The Dream Collective
Dreams: What are you trying to tell yourself?
Twitter: @tweetdreams4u
and @flutterby03

Marriage editor
Bellaonline Marriage site
Twitter: @BellaMarriage
D
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
D
I try not to reveal my "down" side too much here on the forums, but honestly I feel loneliness quite often. I don't mind being alone, per se, and I do live in my own space, but I miss the interaction with a loving partner. My boyfriend passed away just over a year ago, and I deeply miss him. I have friends, family I talk to (but they live far away for now), pets, and various interests. Nothing will take away the deep loneliness and pain I feel.

I know it won't go away until I meet someone else to love and who loves me in that way again. It is hard to achieve that, as I know a compatible man won't just land on my doorstep. I am not into online dating or hanging out in bars. I also think I am still in too much pain to rush into anything. I hardly laugh anymore and when I do it feels foreign to me. I speak to a counselor now and then, but I think this is a transition period that is going to take a long time for me to get through.

Debbie Grejdus
Spirituality Site Editor
Spirituality Forum Moderator
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Lori,
"One can be in a roomful of people or in a relationship yet still feel very lonely."

This is very true since loneliness is a psychological pain/state of mind. In addition, people who have low self-esteem or do not like themselves very much have a very hard time being alone. This also contributes to feelings of loneliness.

My article would have been twice as long if I added these two very important components! Ah...maybe a second article! smile

Dr. Ilyssa Hershey
Mental Health Editor
Mental Health Site
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Debbie,
I think it is brave to talk about one's own pain. It is also very helpful to those who benefit from your words but are afraid to post about their own experiences or pain.

One year is not enough time to heal from your loss. Please don't be hard on yourself regarding the time it takes you ...everyone has different time lines and experiences of healing.

Finding joy in little things may be your beginning journey to healing and laughing again.

If it helps at all, I post pictures/quotes on the Mental Health - Bellaonline Facebook page that may put a small lift in your day. smile

Dr. Ilyssa Hershey
Mental Health Editor
Mental Health Site
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
I've really thought long about both loneliness and shyness. I am neither by nature (lonely or shy) but have experienced them under certain conditions. I have a friend who is painfully shy and often lonely though and have encouraged her for years to move beyond.

In reality, she lives with her adult daughter, grandson and sister so she isn't really "alone" at all. Plus, she works with others and meets new people constantly.

You are so right that loneliness is a state of mind.

How can one change this?

Lori Phillips
Dreams editor

Bellaonline.com Dreams site
The Dream Collective
Dreams: What are you trying to tell yourself?
Twitter: @tweetdreams4u
and @flutterby03

Marriage editor
Bellaonline Marriage site
Twitter: @BellaMarriage
D
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
D
I may be brave to talk about my pain, but I often don't talk about it to others because I don't want to bring them down or make them feel badly for me. I am not one who looks for a pity party.

I am not hard on myself for the time it takes me to grieve and heal. I did a lot of research when my sweetheart died and I have learned a lot about giving myself time and being kind to myself. That was very important in the beginning of this process because I was pretty much useless to do anything at all. I was not working until a few months after he passed on, and in a way it was a blessing to be able to deal with my feelings alone and not have to feel like I have to act for anyone. I faced my pain head on instead of trying to push it away.

I used to laugh a lot with my boyfriend. He was funny and full of life. He helped me climb out of my shell when we first met, and I lived in the moment because of him. I hope to be able to live my life more to his legacy when I have the strength to do so. For now I take life one day at a time. It truly is all I can manage.

Debbie Grejdus
Spirituality Site Editor
L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
You mention important points for everyone whether he or she is grieving or not: being kind to self.

I have to remember that.

D
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
D
Being kind to yourself is very important, especially if you are in pain. Do only what you can manage, say "no" if need be and know that it is ok to do so, take time for yourself for peace, rest, and reflection. Don't be hard on yourself and give yourself time to get back into a regular routine. You can't do any better for yourself than to really care about "you".

I have read and learned that grief changes you mentally, emotionally, and physically. I believe that wholeheartedly. It takes time to heal all that hurts within. The exhaustion alone takes quite a toll.

Debbie Grejdus
Spirituality Site Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Debbie,
I am sorry, I read your post wrong and thought that you were saying you shouldn't be in so much pain after just one year.

I'm truly sorry for your loss. Your boyfriend sounds like he was a beautiful and loving person.

Last edited by Dr. Hershey-MH; 01/27/13 12:36 PM.

Dr. Ilyssa Hershey
Mental Health Editor
Mental Health Site
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.