Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#534470 07/05/09 11:14 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Hello All,

The latest article on the Doll Making Site is Dolls For Boys?. I'd love to hear your opinion on this topic. Let us know what you think.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Helen,

I made my son and my grandson cloth dolls when they were little and they loved them. The one for my grandson was large enough to wear his baby clothes and he carried that doll all over with him until he was about four. My son's doll was also a cloth doll and had a very happy face. It was a bit smaller, but I made jeans and t-shirts for it an bought TV bootees for it (remember those?). For my great-great nephew's first Christmas, I made him a little clown doll, dressed in an outfit that was half black with white dots and the other half white with black dots. It was a one piece clown-type jumpsuit. The boys loved their dolls and were never far from them. They gave them comfort during nap times and at night, something to cuddle and talk to.

I think dolls for boys are just fine.

Great article!

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
This was a huge subject for me as a kid LOL - I was enraged that I was not allowed to have dolls, but my cousins were because they were 'girls.' I'm all for it - why shouldn't boys have dolls? If a girl is a tom boy and plays with cars it's viewed in a very different and more positive light.
I always get the distinct impression parents will refuse their sons dolls etc because they feel it will somehow effect his lifestyle in the future, which of course, is utter nonsence. When I was a kid I wanted a little mermaid doll so badly, so when I was an adult - I bought it LOL. It was kind of cleansing for me HAHA. If I'd have had it as a kid, I probably would have grown bored with it (maybe not), but the insistance that I couldn't made me want one all the more LOL.
I don't think there should be any holds put on what a child can play with, or what he/she wants in the toy area. It's like saying pink was only created for girls. Or that God placed flowers in the ground only for women, it's society telling us what to do.
I think dolls for boys is a great idea - the problem is parents and other ppls views on it. Great idea though smile

Steven Casey
Horror Movies Site
"Whatever you do, don't - fall - asleep!"
J
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
J
Great article, Helen. Even nowadays, I think that little boys are still made to really toe the line in regards to gender behavior -- and back when I was a kid? I think that G.I. Joe was about the only socially acceptable doll that a boy could be seen with. It might take a while to gain acceptance overall, but I think dolls for boys could be a very good idea. It probably encourages nurturing like you said, and empathy as well.

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Hi Guys,

Phyllis - Thanks and I'm so glad you made dolls for the boys in your life, too.

Steven - I always thought it was "utter nonsense" that having a doll would effect my sons future lifestyle, but there was no trying to change the minds of the men in my life at the time. Fortunately time has proved you and me correct. Thanks for your input and I'm sorry you never got your doll as a kid.

Karm - Thanks for the complement and your input. From my experience having a doll definitely did encourage nurturing and empathy in my sons.

Does anyone have any other examples or opinions? I'd love to hear about your story.

J
J
I have three younger brothers, all grown with children of their own now, each one of them received a baby doll for their first Christmas (my idea of course). Luckily both of my parents agreed that little boys who play with dolls make better Daddies when they grow up. I can say that each one of my brothers are great fathers. My youngest child and only son loves baby dolls. At almost three years, this year HE requested his own American Girl doll so that he could play dollies with his 9 year old sister. I was not prepared to spend $100 on one for him to carry around like his other babies(ALL of them are named BABY) so I found a Madame Alexander at Good Will and he loves her to death. I offered to "change" her into a HIM and he refused. He is going to be the best Daddy to my future grandchildren.

JoanneW #655533 01/11/11 10:05 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
That's a really sweet story Joanne smile I guess some children are just more nurturing and that's why they play certain games and so on - I don't see the need to analyze everything to a silly stage either.

I got my doll in the end LOL - I was an adult and I saw it in a shop and thought, right, I'm getting one - it was Ariel from the little mermaid LOL.

Steven Casey
Horror Movies Site
"Whatever you do, don't - fall - asleep!"
Tiger
Tiger
I don't have a problem with "guy" dolls for them, like soldiers. But that is my limit. Great post! Angela

Originally Posted By: Helen Doll Making Editor
Hello All,

The latest article on the Doll Making Site is Dolls For Boys?. I'd love to hear your opinion on this topic. Let us know what you think.

BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Helen,

I think boys and girls should be allowed to play with the types of toys that they want to without pressure from adults. Why shouldn't boys play with baby dolls? Don't we want them to practice being good daddies? Childhood is a time to explore interests through pretend play. It helps them become more comfortable with themselves. It does not turn them into something they are not. So, I don't see the problem. I think there is more of a problem created when by people placing gender restrictions on toys. I think it will teach children to be uncomfortable with parts of their personality and make them feel as if something is wrong with them if they want to play with those toys.

Great question! Interesting to see the opinions.

Last edited by Susan-Colleges; 01/15/11 03:13 PM.

SUSAN D. BATES
COLLEGES

Connect with Colleges on Facebook at Colleges at BellaOnline.com

Follow Colleges on Twitter at colleges_info

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
I apologize to all of you, I was not ignoring you, I was unable to log onto my internet account for the last week. But I'm back and so happy to see this discussion!

Thank-you all for your input. It is interesting to see the different opinions and takes on this topic.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Helen Doll Making Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.